How old are you all

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

CrisGer

Post by CrisGer »

wow, i may be one of the senior members (agewise only )

i am 56.

only started CGI games fully in 2003....was looking at them to study CGI 3D worlds and decided to start at the very begining so i spent a year or so playing the first generation games.... the first Red Baron, Doom 1 and 2 and about 400 WADS....and on up to Myst series, but along the way fell in love with the second generation .... Loom, Kyrandia, Kings Quest, Lands of Lore, MI, Indy, etc....

so here i am and glad to be in such good company.

i mod a group for 3D Worlds and Game Developers and keep studying games, their history and devel..and the future...

My very first game experince was on an old Atari, with a tiny screen, playing the first MS flight sim landing the jet in Central park, and some other ancient games that i have fogotten the names of... and oh yes, before that, the first pong that was made for TV screens :) which was among the very first.
pncFreak

Post by pncFreak »

CrisGer wrote:wow, i may be one of the senior members (agewise only )
i am 56.
... and oh yes, before that, the first pong that was made for TV screens :) which was among the very first.
:D I remember spinning those wheels in the seventies with the fascinating chunky low-res output on my TV! (40 myself)

Feeling quite 'olde', thinking of the processing power available in early electronics, comparing it to what's available for my daughter today. I wonder, translated to things available today, what would today's Pong be?

Tennis anyone?
Nicadeemas

Post by Nicadeemas »

42 here :D I played pretty much all of the games available when they were first released :shock:

Still have my original Amiga1200 setup in the spare room and a cupboard full of original adventure games. Everytime another game is announced I open the cupboard and check I've still got it.

Discworld 1 and 2 on standby :wink:

Nic
CrisGer

Post by CrisGer »

Nic,
in your Amiga game stash, do you have a flight sim that had a small number of planes for each side, each plane had some funny characteristics, that set them apart from the others, there was a cute little airflied and some countryside around it.... i loved that game, i only had the chance to play the demo and dont remember the name

but one of the fun things was.....

you could circle your plane higher and higher and end up flying in infiite space and you could see the little chunk of land that the game ran on wayyyyy down below you....

no idea of the title :)
ChickenHound

Post by ChickenHound »

Beat that 8)

I probably first played a Scumm type game about four years ago.
No-one else my age even knows what Scumm is.
pncFreak

Post by pncFreak »

ChickenHound wrote:14

Beat that 8)

I probably first played a Scumm type game about four years ago.
No-one else my age even knows what Scumm is.
Uh, how are we supposed to beat that? Are you in some kind of competition regarding lowest age?
Strangerke
ScummVM Developer

Post by Strangerke »

If it's a competition, my girls are 7 and they use ScummVM for 2 years now... So they started using ScummvM at 5 :P
Freeman85

Post by Freeman85 »

I am 24.
My first game is Loom, I played it on the Amiga.
tareon

Post by tareon »

Becoming 33 this year.

Got my first contact to Maniac Mansion on the C64 at the age of 11 or 12 in the late 80's. I got the first floppy release of MM in the big box with the pinboard poster... three years later I sold it to a second hand software shop for maybe 10 DM (5 Euro)... shame on me, but I was just a kid.

A few month ago I saw the same edition (with the pinboard poster) on ebay going away for over 60 Euro.
Harrypoppins

Post by Harrypoppins »

Becoming 22 years this month.
My first game was Another world, and my first adventure game was Full Throttle around 12-13 years old. It was the revelation xD.
Fox the Sly

Post by Fox the Sly »

Nikioko

Post by Nikioko »

i am old enough to buy grog legally and with no id being checked.
jakayang

Post by jakayang »

i am currently 18 years old. i liked the lucas arts adventure games since i was little, and was very enjoyed when 3 and 4 came out. as a kid, i loved dos and everytihng around. i was knowing al the commands just when i was 4! nowadays, forgetting everyting with the os with graphic interfaces.

jakayang
garrets

Post by garrets »

I'm 29. My first game was Loom and I really only played Adventure games (Lucasgames and Sierra) until there weren't any more.
Happyfunball

Post by Happyfunball »

I am 39. My first adventure game was Miser on a Commodore PET at my grade school. I moved on to Colossal Cave, then Zork.

I actually prefer text adventures to graphic, but the LucasArts games were always a big hit in our house, and my family is eagerly awaiting the Monkey Island remake and new adventures.

Thanks again to the SCUMMVM team for making these games work on modern computers.