POC-1 - MI2 Speech Alpha

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

ezekiel000

Post by ezekiel000 »

iPwnzorz wrote:I guess that's because a lot of the work was done behind the scenes. But oh well, it's over now.

Ezekiel, most of the project files are already available. Uploading the raw speech would be a pain.
Well without the raw files I would definitely be starting with MI1. Can you send me the contact details for the team you assembled, you know my address.

And is anyone volunteering for the two jobs I listed above?

I already finished a script for MI1 it just needs the input of a "director" to add "stage directions" where needed.
cocomonk22

Post by cocomonk22 »

The project should be transferred to someone else, really... It sounds like you were doing all the work yourself except for the voices. Uploading the raw files somewhere would be good, or even the compressed sound files.

ezekiel000 seems like he might be willing to continue the project, and you both live in counties next to each other so it could be transferred physically on a disc as well.
ezekiel000

Post by ezekiel000 »

Well to get the project going again we will need:
- Organising and Compile files. [Me]
- Casting and Voice Over Director.
- Programmer to hack in new lines when there is a variable in a line (amount of money) or a line is used by two different characters (sword fighting insults).

Characters:
Main Characters:
- Guybrush Threepwood [1562 lines] [Justin Franklin]
- LeChuck [ 51 lines] [Justin Franklin]
- Elaine Marley [ 54 lines] [Position Open]

B-Team Characters:
- Bob the Ghost Pirate [ 44 lines] [Position Open]
- Man of Low Moral Fiber (Goatee) [ 28 lines] [Martin Churchill]
- Man of Low Moral Fiber (Fat) [ 6 lines] [Position Open]
- Man of Low Moral Fiber (Tall) [ 32 lines] [Position Open]
- Otis [ 95 lines] [Position Open]
- Carla the Swordmaster [ 77 lines] [Position Open]
- Captain Smirk [ 72 lines] [Position Open]
- Stan [ 180 lines] [Position Open]
- Voodoo Lady [ 45 lines] [Marily Nika]
- Meathook [ 93 lines] [Position Open]
- Herman Toothrot [ 87 lines] [Position Open]
- Monkey Island Cannibal (Red Skull) [ 114 lines] [Position Open]
- Monkey Island Cannibal (Sharptooth) [ 28 lines] [Position Open]
- Monkey Island Cannibal (Lemonhead) [ 6 lines] [Position Open]

Minor Characters:
- Lookout [ 42 lines] [Position Open]
- Mancomb Seepgood [ 37 lines] [Position Open]
- Estevan [ 24 lines] [Position Open]
- Cobb, the Loom Pirate [ 9 lines] [Position Open]
- Spiffy the Dog [ 19 lines] [Position Open]
- Important-Looking Pirate (Blue) [ 30 lines] [Position Open]
- Important-Looking Pirate (Green) [ 30 lines] [Position Open]
- Important-Looking Pirate (Black) [ 17 lines] [Position Open]
- Cook [ 20 lines] [Position Open]
- Citizen of Mêlée [ 23 lines] [Position Open]
- Rat [ 2 lines] [Position Open]
- Storekeeper [ 113 lines] [Position Open]
- Fester Shinetop [ 49 lines] [Position Open]
- Troll [ 29 lines] [Position Open]
- Alfredo Fettucini (Pink) [ 50 lines] [Position Open]
- Bill Fettucini (Green) [ 49 lines] [Position Open]
- Misc Pirates [ 104 lines] [Position Open]
- Nick [ 5 lines] [Position Open]
- Monkey [ 6 lines] [Position Open]
- Head of the Navigator [ 24 lines] [Position Open]
- Fat Ghost Pirate [ 6 lines] [Position Open]
- Grim Specter [ 12 lines] [Position Open]
- Ghost Preacher [ 2 lines] [Position Open]
- Ghost Chickens [ 1 lines] [Position Open]
- Ghost Guard [ 1 lines] [Position Open]
Last edited by ezekiel000 on Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.
jestar_jokin

Post by jestar_jokin »

Sorry to hear you're having some personal problems iPwnzorz, hope things turn out alright.

If anyone wants to take up the project again, I was helping out with some technical considerations and updated ScummSpeaks thanks to iPwnzorz's feedback & needs (although I have yet to distribute the new version). Although I don't have a lot of free time to devote to the project, I can at least provide advice. In fact, I think I've already spoken to you ezekiel, but I'm just putting it out there.

And I hate to say it, but I didn't really like the choice for Guybrush. I guess that's mostly from the internal voice one gives characters. Still, it's not too bad for an amateur effort.
ezekiel000

Post by ezekiel000 »

Yeah I've emailed you before a while back. If you could send me your latest version of ScummSpeaks that would be great although from the tests I have done I hadn't noticed any missing feature or bugs.

I really liked Justin's work on the MI2SP POC, I guess it's just personal preference.

That reminds me any other people that had signed up to work on the MI2SP project and would still like to be involved please contact me at 'ezekiel000 at lavabit dot com' as TheJoe/iPwnzorz was only able to give me two peoples addresses.
I especially need to contact; Marily Nika, Martin Churchill and Steve Henel. As you were all cast as characters in both MI1 & 2.
iPwnzorz

Post by iPwnzorz »

Right I'm just checking to see if it's possible to give you access.

As for the medical-thing, it really is the silliest thing to worry about, it was just that it's made me quite panicy. It's not the ultimate reason why I left but it has affected my performance a bit (IE: I shake rather than click).

So good luck to whoever takes over and if you do need any instruction I'm only an e-mail away.
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Post by Praetorian »

ezekiel000 wrote: I really liked Justin's work on the MI2SP POC, I guess it's just personal preference.
I agree on this too. To me, he sounded very in-character and convincing.

I also like the idea of beginning with Monkey Island 1. It has almost a quarter the amount of dialogues as compared to MI2 and is significantly less complex gameplay/storytelling-wise.

It's good to see that people are not willing to let this project die :) Please, keep us informed of all the possible ways we could provide some help!

I am greek and currently the little spare time I have, is occupied by the on-going greek fan translation for Monkey Island 2. (In fact, we recently have completed the translation for Monkey Island 1)
I have (some) programming skills, and I can write a patch script (nsis2) for you, if that would help (it would be like the binary patches we currently use to distribute our fan translations).
I could also try out for a small part, just for the fun of it.
iPwnzorz

Post by iPwnzorz »

I hereby hand over power to the project to ezekiel000. Good luck.
Marily

Post by Marily »

Voodoo-Lady reporting, Let's do this! I can help on any posters, banners, the graphics part of the project & the Voodoo Lady voice...

I am also greek, we now have two greeks on board hehe !

If we manage to begin again, we also start promoting our project a bit, through slashdot or whatever once we get started again!

Thank you v. much for your efforts!!!!
iwantmi5

Post by iwantmi5 »

are you going to put extra scenes for intro or ending credits to show who did the voices, or will you just leave the visual part of the game the way it is?
Also, i would audition, but i dont live in America, and i suck at programming. Plus i'd probably sound like a four year old, but it might be coz of my crap mic. i have recorded some gameplay of mi1 and inputted my voice on the top with windows movie maker, and can do a pretty good largo voice, coz ive done some mi2 aswell. iv posted some vids on youtube. here's the first vid. as i said, you wont be able to get me to do any voices for the game, as much as id love to, but im out of range. heres the link to my vid anyways, just for a chuckle:http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=Rxv6evWQJ5M
srry i dont know how to make it a proper link.
Last edited by iwantmi5 on Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.
ezekiel000

Post by ezekiel000 »

I hadn't thought of changing the intro other than adding additional credits to the begining, and I'm not too keen on adding anything else to the begining.

The only visual change that has been done and was planned was to reintroduce the spiffy close up. And the only other addition on top of that and the voices would be to add music/atmospheric sound to the silent areas of the game but that's not in the plan at the moment.
iwantmi5

Post by iwantmi5 »

excellent. cant wait to play the whole game with voice. the new guybrush sounds awesome!
ezekiel000

Post by ezekiel000 »

Living in America isn't a requirement (I live in UK and most of the team as far as I know is European) but a good mic is a requirement.
iwantmi5

Post by iwantmi5 »

then how will i be able to get my voice recordings over to you? im not a huge computer wiz, and i have had a lot of computer viruses in the past, so i think ill just stay out of it, i dont want to mess up the game, and i just dont have enough time to work on a voice for a character.