What was it that made it so special?

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

rtr86

What was it that made it so special?

Post by rtr86 »

Hi all,

I'm a huge fan of ScummVM and the games it supports.

Why do you think there is still such a following and appreciation for these games?

I remember being around 8 years old and seeing the box for Monkey Island 2 in a games store, I saved up for ages to buy it and was massively disappointed when my dad said he did not know how to install it on out first computer - a 486. It took me days/weeks to find out I/he was typing 'c: install monkey2' instead of 'a:' for the floppy drive. I remember playing it and being blown away at the 'point'click' interface.

A few years later I got Broken Sword 1 on the PS1 and remember being equally impressed.

I don't know what it is that still make these games hugely enjoyable (not matter how many times I play them), perhaps its mainly the nostalgia but they just seem to be so more enjoyable then today's games - anyone else find this?
LogicDeLuxe

Post by LogicDeLuxe »

I'd say it's a well thought story, well drawn graphics, well composed music and all of those skillfully put together, while many recent games are basically just tech demos.
manias

Post by manias »

LogicDeLuxe wrote:I'd say it's a well thought story, well drawn graphics, well composed music and all of those skillfully put together, while many recent games are basically just tech demos.
it's not exactly fair to compare a game like crysis to a point and click adventure ;)
There aren't many quality point 'n click adventures around.. and lots of people have fond memories of scummvm's games
MusicallyInspired

Post by MusicallyInspired »

These games are special because they are good. A concept that games nowadays can't seem to grasp.
clem

Post by clem »

MusicallyInspired wrote:These games are special because they are good.
They're also good because they're special.
Collector

Post by Collector »

LogicDeLuxe wrote:I'd say it's a well thought story, well drawn graphics, well composed music and all of those skillfully put together, while many recent games are basically just tech demos.
Amen.
marticus

Post by marticus »

Never underestimate the power of nostalgia.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

MusicallyInspired wrote:A concept that games nowadays can't seem to grasp.
It's a bit unfair to compare the highlights of the past few decades with the average games of today, though. I'm sure a lot of really bad games were made, and mercifully forgotten, in that period of time, too.

In fact, I recently played King's Quest I and II recently, and I found them to be painfully mediocre. Particularly when I made the unfair comparision to some of the best adventure games of the 80'ies. :)
Buddha
ScummVM Developer

Post by Buddha »

eriktorbjorn wrote:It's a bit unfair to compare the highlights of the past few decades with the average games of today, though.
Yep, I'm glad to be able to say that there are excellent games nowadays too. I'm just playing Mass Effect for the first time and it's a skillfully done game, best digital persons I've seen (Excellent emotional responses with facial movements and body language). Interesting conversations, possibilities for roleplaying (e.g. moral choices) etc. One recital of a Tennyson's poem in a conversation with a crew member caught me off guard, in a positive way - it felt beautiful. And I remember applauding during another conversation because I liked the writing so much. Thank you Bioware ;-). </shameless_plug>

Kari Salminen / Buddha^
DrMcCoy
ScummVM Developer

Post by DrMcCoy »

It also comes with a free rootkit. Rejoice!
MusicallyInspired

Well, I guess I'm just speaking for myself then. I haven't found any new games (with the exception of Half-Life/Portal) that do for me what old adventures did (and still do).
Arantor

Post by Arantor »

I've found a few games, but they tend to be little online quirky things rather than any of the big name games.

FPS? I haven't found one I actually liked since Doom.

RTS? Dune II: Battle for Arrakis, or on a rare off moment the first C&C. (Though C&C: Red Alert - the first one - appears to have been made available for free download by EA to promote C&C:RA3)

We definitely need more good 2D P&C games.
manias

Post by manias »

there have actually been quite a couple of high quality adventure games over the last few years like syberia 1 & 2, tunguska, dreamfall (TYL is also awesome but a bit older perhaps), sam n max season 1 n 2, etc
MusicallyInspired

Syberia is quite a good piece of art but that's it. The gameplay is completely boring and empty. Void of life. Definitely not what the adventures of old were like. I have yet to play Dreamfall (as well as The Longest Journey, actually) but I've heard it's a big let-down from the first game.
manias

Post by manias »

MusicallyInspired wrote:Syberia is quite a good piece of art but that's it. The gameplay is completely boring and empty. Void of life. Definitely not what the adventures of old were like. I have yet to play Dreamfall (as well as The Longest Journey, actually) but I've heard it's a big let-down from the first game.
I love dreamfall, better than the first game
but also try sam 'n max