Maniac Mansion emulation inside DOTT

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

hippy dave

Post by hippy dave »

perhaps not, i didn't check :) - but the implied question was whether or not the consoles were powerful enough to run it, not whether there was an official port.
c2woody

Post by c2woody »

but there is no code in ScummVM (or DOSBox) for launching such a second instance!
For MM inside DOTT you don't need a second DOSBox instance, but i guess you know that. It works just fine.
but ScummVM still supports far more systems
Congratulations.
As an official port? Don't think so
The PSP port is very sophisticated, features a dynamic recompiler.
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

c2woody wrote:
but there is no code in ScummVM (or DOSBox) for launching such a second instance!
For MM inside DOTT you don't need a second DOSBox instance, but i guess you know that. It works just fine.
Of course. Because it just runs the original engine, which in turn just calls the DOS API for launching a new process (or rather, running an overlay), which hence has no portability issue. However, launching a new process on e.g. a PSP is certainly not the way to try to replicate the future on modern systems. Which was my point...
Ceri Cat

Post by Ceri Cat »

DOSBox is quite different to SCUMM VM and comparing them is unfair as they handle things substantially differently due to the nature of the emulation in process. SCUMM VM replaces the engine of the old adventure games rather than operating as a shell as DOSBox does for a start which means it's essentially a protected space for the commands executed within it, so when DOTT calls MM it's still part of the same process thread rather than calling outside the environment it's in as happens in SCUMM VM as DOTT is calling for another version of the SCUMM engine to load from within itself.

Actually besides DOTT are there any adventure games that do something like this otherwise? And given the version of MM included in DOTT is playable standalone is it really such a problem it's not supported inside the game? It was included as a bit of nostalgia in DOTT not as an important part of the game.
Rasi

Post by Rasi »

I cant see a problem here.. if you want to play dott, play dott.. if you want to play MM, play MM - its that easy!

if you suddenly decide to play MM instead of dott, fine!, save your state and play MM :)
zorbid

Post by zorbid »

The point would be to reproduce the DOTT easter egg...