Drascula wants to take over the world!

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

marzipan

Post by marzipan »

Thanks for the response, though I should clarify: do you not notice some/many tracks starting very oddly, like they decided to start in the middle of a piece for a split second, before changing its mind and starting again fresh?

This is noticeable in the FLAC and OGG packages on this site, and in every CD image of the game I've found through googling so far (it could well be the same dump being spread around, but meh).
BeleG

Post by BeleG »

I certainly didn't notice anything particularly wrong with the tracks provided here at ScummVM. The quality of the original recordings is not precisly great, but also not as terrible as you describe.
If you find them too lo-fi, you can always go to the official Alcachofa Soft website, where they have another version of the tracks available for download (better bitrate, if I recall right).
I downloaded them both and couldn't perceive any difference (checked on a laptop, though), both sounded OK in my opinion. Don't have my cd here to check, but it sounds just like I remembered it.
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

marzipan wrote:Thanks for the response, though I should clarify: do you not notice some/many tracks starting very oddly, like they decided to start in the middle of a piece for a split second, before changing its mind and starting again fresh?

This is noticeable in the FLAC and OGG packages on this site, and in every CD image of the game I've found through googling so far (it could well be the same dump being spread around, but meh).
hmm, nope, not heard this kind of behaviour in my tracks

Have you tried reinstalling the game data files? (and tried listening to the tracks itself in a music player, maybe they ARE corrupted?)
marzipan

Post by marzipan »

BeleG wrote:I certainly didn't notice anything particularly wrong with the tracks provided here at ScummVM. The quality of the original recordings is not precisly great, but also not as terrible as you describe.
If you find them too lo-fi, you can always go to the official Alcachofa Soft website, where they have another version of the tracks available for download (better bitrate, if I recall right).
I downloaded them both and couldn't perceive any difference (checked on a laptop, though), both sounded OK in my opinion. Don't have my cd here to check, but it sounds just like I remembered it.
Hey, wait a sec.

Okay, folks, I request you do a listening comparison between the OGG and FLAC packs, like I just did.

The OGG versions don't start up awkwardly like the FLAC ones do (the first second or so was my main complaint), although the FLACs sound louder and therefore 'stronger'. Another discovery was noticing how the OGGs add ambient background noise to many tracks - something missing from the FLACs!

Just what happened here? Were these packs made using two totally different copies of the game or what?
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

I don't hear any difference between the Ogg and FLAC files from the ScummVM downloads page (not surprising; they're probably made from the same source material), but the Ogg files from Alcachofa Soft's web page are different in at least some cases. I've never even seen the original CD, so I don't know how that one sounded.

(I only listened to a little of them, but the start of track 8 and the background sounds in track 9 would be two examples.)
Nikioko

Post by Nikioko »

Sorry, but there is one thing I have to say: Drascula is of such a poor quality, that Gilbert Goodmate looks like a masterpiece in comparison.

Is there anyone who actually LIKED this game?
Strangerke
ScummVM Developer

Post by Strangerke »

Nikioko: At least I did.
ezekiel000

Post by ezekiel000 »

I thought it was an okay game but suffers from very poor English translation and terrible dubbing.
Nikioko

Post by Nikioko »

ezekiel000 wrote:I thought it was an okay game but suffers from very poor English translation and terrible dubbing.
That's what I meant. And the German subtitles are even worse. Gilbert Goodmate or Tony Tough at least had a nice trash factor (though they are technically not really Z games, but their stories and background give you the feeling).