Discworld

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

Tim20 wrote:Should I report my issue as a bug?
Please do
ezekiel000

Post by ezekiel000 »

Tim20

Post by Tim20 »

Looks like there's no need. I've just tried today's daily build, for Windows, and the problem seems to have disappeared. :)

No idea about the PSP build though.
Nikioko

Post by Nikioko »

sev wrote:
Nikioko wrote:Another question that has not been answered/solved for days:

http://forums.scummvm.org/viewtopic.php?t=7829
Because as our Forum rule #3a states, "Do not post bugreports here." So no wonder.

Eugene
Well, then I am wondering why there is a help & support section in this forum when it's unnecessary.
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

Nikioko wrote:
sev wrote:
Nikioko wrote:Another question that has not been answered/solved for days:

http://forums.scummvm.org/viewtopic.php?t=7829
Because as our Forum rule #3a states, "Do not post bugreports here." So no wonder.

Eugene
Well, then I am wondering why there is a help & support section in this forum when it's unnecessary.
Because it's not intended for bug reports, but for more general-style questions, which can be answered by developers and regular users alike
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Nikioko wrote: Well, then I am wondering why there is a help & support section in this forum when it's unnecessary.
Sometimes bug reports that are poster here will be fixed, of course. Particularly if they are for some very common and/or popular game, using an engine that many developers are familiar with.

But we have several reports in the bug tracker that have been sitting there for years, simply because they are for some terribly obscure version of a game that none of the active developers have. The reports are easy to find in the tracker, and hopefully someone will eventually be able to fix them. Most posts that have been sitting in this forum for a few weeks might as well be lost though. The chance that someone will find them is pretty slim.
Vegan

Post by Vegan »

This game is hard and illogical. I've been spoiled by Lucasarts. Honestly, that butterfly stuff... Give me a break.

This is the first game I've ever played with a guide open alongside it, just going through to enjoy the dialogue.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Vegan wrote:This game is hard and illogical. I've been spoiled by Lucasarts. Honestly, that butterfly stuff... Give me a break.
I vaguely remember reading that there was an (unfortunately never released) bugfixed version where "even the butterfly made sense", so it's possible that there was supposed to be a hint about it somewhere. But I agree, the game is obnoxiously difficult. Fortunately, the sequel was a lot easier.
MeddlingMonk

Post by MeddlingMonk »

The puzzle design in DW1 is pretty bad. And DW2 kind of overcompensated with the occasional broad hint. It's like after having made a game with murky puzzles, the designers response was to get snarky. Oh, well. Other than that they're very good games (although maybe that's just because Eric Idle does Rincewind...and DW1, which I actually like better, has "my" Doctor in it--Jon Pertwee).
Last edited by MeddlingMonk on Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fraludio

Post by fraludio »

Where can i find the latest daily build for mac osx? I'd been off the grid and it seems lot of work has been done.

Edit: nevermind, i found it.
Nikioko

Post by Nikioko »

Well, I liked DW1 very much, and I didn't think that it was too complicated either. And the butterfly puzzle is a bit of confusion, but knowlegde about the Butterfly Effect will help.
bobdevis

Post by bobdevis »

And now for something completely different!

I suspected the Tinsel engine to be be a resource hog since it was added to ScummVM and today I took the time to benchmark it.
The only game that compares to Discworld2 that I have is CoMI, so I ran it against that.

The machine is a Phenom X4 9450 with DDR2 and Kubuntu 9.10.
The grfx card is a 8800GT (KDE desktop effects are on)
The ScummVM version is 1.0.0rc1 (self compiled)
The % numbers is the CPU load during the opening scenematics. It is the load on one single core.
(s) means there is sound stutter, thus overload.
The last column is the load increase for Discoworld2 compared to CoMI.

Here are the results for various graphics settings:

Code: Select all

1x     MI3  5-15%  D2 10-15%     ~25%
2xMAME MI3 15-25%  D2 25-30%     ~38%
2xHQ   MI3 70-85%  D2 100%(s)    >29%
3x     MI3 45-50%  D2 60-65%     ~32%
3xMAME MI3 50-65%  D2 80-90%     ~42%
3xHQ   MI3 80-85%  D2 100%(s)    >21%
I would have expected some shocking differences, but it is all pretty mundane. D2 just runs a bit hotter but within reason.
D2 seems to give bigger performance penalties for smoothing filters though but I cant be too sure because of the 100% cap. I guess I need to buy a i7 system too get more accurate results :)
MikeLJ

Awsome!

Post by MikeLJ »

Just played Discworld 2 on Ubuntu and it worked perfectly! First time I've managed to play the game in around 10 years when I had it on the PS1. Only watched the intro to DW1, look forward to playing that too since I havn't played it in even longer.
Darothane

Post by Darothane »

hey guys, i'm a bit of a linux noob in all honesty, i'm using Ubuntu 10.04 LTS, i installed/updated Scumm the other day and was desperate to play Discworld as i haven't played it for years,

The version of Scumm that i have installed would recognise discworld but as soon as i clicked start game it would pop up with a blank window then exit so i headed for these forums.

i saw that downloading the daily snapshot and compiling it myself would possibly work so i downloaded yesterdays snapshot and went to compile and everything seemed to be working fine...

Code: Select all

Running ScummVM configure...
Looking for C++ compiler... g++
Checking for compiler version... 4.4.3, ok
Checking endianness... little
Type with 1 byte... char
Type with 2 bytes... short
Type with 4 bytes... int
Compiling for x86... no
Checking hosttype... linux-gnu
Alignment required... no
Checking whether to have a verbose build... no
Checking whether building plugins was requested... no
Checking for Ogg Vorbis... yes
Checking for Tremor... no (Ogg Vorbis/Tremor support is mutually exclusive)
Checking for FLAC >= 1.0.1... yes
Checking for MAD... yes
Checking for ALSA >= 0.9... yes
Checking for zlib... yes
Checking for libmpeg2 >= 0.3.2... no
Checking for libfluidsynth... no
Checking for readline... skipping (text console disabled)
Building translation support... yes (with runtime language detection)
Backend... sdl, 16bit color, HQ scalers, MT-32 emu, Indeo3 decoder
Looking for sdl-config... none found!
does anyone know where i get the sdl-config file that it's asking me for? :/

edit:- never mind, went into my ubuntu software centre and installed a couple of sdl packages and i now have it :)
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Darothane wrote: does anyone know where i get the sdl-config file that it's asking me for? :/
Probably the libsdl1.2-dev package. At least, that's where it is in Debian.