Discworld

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Wesker

Post by Wesker »

Are the Sega Saturn versions of both games expected to be supported anytime soon?
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

Wesker wrote:Are the Sega Saturn versions of both games expected to be supported anytime soon?
No.
Wesker

Post by Wesker »

clone2727 wrote:
Wesker wrote:Are the Sega Saturn versions of both games expected to be supported anytime soon?
No.
Why I was expecting that answer. :(
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

clone2727 wrote:
No.
A bit more thorough explanation:
the tinsel engine is made up of several parts:
- the game logic
- the graphics subsystem
- digital sound output
- synthesized music (MIDI)

Recently, there has been a lot of work on the Macintosh version of Discworld 1, which shares code in the game logic with its Saturn counterpart. However, the rest of the game formats (graphics, digital sound, synthesized music) in the Saturn version are quite different, and the synthesized music isn't MIDI, but Saturn specific, which makes supporting it even harder.

So, the answer is, "when it's done"
Wesker

Post by Wesker »

md5 wrote:
clone2727 wrote:
No.
A bit more thorough explanation:
the tinsel engine is made up of several parts:
- the game logic
- the graphics subsystem
- digital sound output
- synthesized music (MIDI)

Recently, there has been a lot of work on the Macintosh version of Discworld 1, which shares code in the game logic with its Saturn counterpart. However, the rest of the game formats (graphics, digital sound, synthesized music) in the Saturn version are quite different, and the synthesized music isn't MIDI, but Saturn specific, which makes supporting it even harder.

So, the answer is, "when it's done"
Well, the PlayStation version is lacking music support, so that doesn't surprise me. Then again, I'm interested in the Sega Saturn version because that's the version of the game I have.

And let's not even talk about the possibilities regarding Discworld II, I guess?
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

Wesker wrote:Well, the PlayStation version is lacking music support, so that doesn't surprise me. Then again, I'm interested in the Sega Saturn version because that's the version of the game I have.

And let's not even talk about the possibilities regarding Discworld II, I guess?
That's not entirely true: there is support for MIDI music in the PSX version, however we lack support for the instrument banks, which is why all organs sound like piano in the PSX version.
Wesker

Post by Wesker »

Oh, sorry. I said that because of what's stated (and therefore implied) in the Compatibility section of the game.

- PSX version is missing music support

I don't have this version myself so I can't check it out.

To solve the music issue, wouldn't it be a possibility to use the enhanced music tracks of James Woodcock that can be employed with the PC version? Even if that way you are missing the distinctive renditions of the music that can be found in the Sega Saturn version, I don't see it that bad as a sort of temporary placeholder.
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

Wesker wrote:Oh, sorry. I said that because of what's stated (and therefore implied) in the Compatibility section of the game.

- PSX version is missing music support

I don't have this version myself so I can't check it out.

To solve the music issue, wouldn't it be a possibility to use the enhanced music tracks of James Woodcock that can be employed with the PC version? Even if that way you are missing the distinctive renditions of the music that can be found in the Sega Saturn version, I don't see it that bad as a sort of temporary placeholder.
Yeah, no support for instruments makes the music sound horrible, hence it's easier to just mention that we don't support the game's music :)

Anyway, the main issue is basically the lack of support of the different graphics format used in the Saturn version
Tomaso

Post by Tomaso »

davidk64 wrote:Hello

We're playing the 4 part Discworld rip on Scumm by Kranmer and have got to near the end of Part 2 where you steal the custard book from Ogg while she puckers up for a kiss with her eyes closed. However we are not getting the mouse pointer focus to do this until the conversation completes.

Has anybody else experienced this and is there any way around it? We're using Vista.

Cheers

David
Tomaso wrote:I'm playing Discworld right now (legal copy), and I ran into the problem with getting the custard book..
(ScummVM v1.5.0)

The fix described above didn't work for me, but after fiddling around for a while, with a bunch of different settings, I suddenly got it to work with my original settings:
* Graphics mode: 2x
* Aspect ratio correction: *checked*
* Fullscreen mode: *checked*
Go figure..

Safe to say there's a bug involved.
First-time players will be stuck playing their asses off! :)
Here's a workaround:

1) Set the Subtitle speed to "0" (or disable subtitles entirely).

2) When the Witch tries to kiss Rincewind, quickly click the mouse button twice to skip these two sentences:
- "Erk, ulp!"
- "Ah... no thanks, I'll pass."

3) Quickly pick up the Custard Book before the Witch gives up on her kissing attempt.

(Thanks to thebluegr for tip on reducing the subtitle speed)
cheepie

Post by cheepie »

Hi I have the PS version of Discworld which is one disc with the below files on but when i copied this into the scummvm files and tried to find the game via scummvm it says no files found? discworld1 worked though, please does anyone have any ideas? the disc is my genuine one

blank2.bin
discwld2.lfd
discwld2.lfi
perfect.ent
sles_007.93
system.cnf
id1402

Post by id1402 »

cheepie wrote:Hi I have the PS version of Discworld which is one disc with the below files on but when i copied this into the scummvm files and tried to find the game via scummvm it says no files found? discworld1 worked though, please does anyone have any ideas? the disc is my genuine one

blank2.bin
discwld2.lfd
discwld2.lfi
perfect.ent
sles_007.93
system.cnf
Only DOS Floppy and DOS CD are supported. Look here:
http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/Datafiles#Discworld
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

cheepie wrote:Hi I have the PS version of Discworld which is one disc with the below files on but when i copied this into the scummvm files and tried to find the game via scummvm it says no files found? discworld1 worked though, please does anyone have any ideas? the disc is my genuine one

blank2.bin
discwld2.lfd
discwld2.lfi
perfect.ent
sles_007.93
system.cnf
We don't support Discworld 2 PSX.
id1402 wrote:Only DOS Floppy and DOS CD are supported. Look here:
That's our data files page, not our compatibility list. Discworld PSX is supported.
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Post by criezy »

id1402 wrote:Only DOS Floppy and DOS CD are supported. Look here:
That is actually incorrect. As noted by clone2727 already and on the compatibility page the Playstation and Mac versions are also supported, although music support is missing for the Playstation version.

Edit: removed end of message as clone 2727 noticed the listed files were the files for the discworld2 version.
cheepie

Post by cheepie »

So if it is supported minus music how can i get it to play if itdoesnt "see" it?
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

cheepie wrote:So if it is supported minus music how can i get it to play if itdoesnt "see" it?
clone2727 wrote:We don't support Discworld 2 PSX.