Discworld

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Post Reply
User avatar
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer
Posts: 3360
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2005 7:39 am

Post by eriktorbjorn »

fraludio wrote: It's not downloaded from any place, it's the full directory installed from the original game.
Well, installers don't always copy all of the files ScummVM needs to the hard disk, so if you have a CD version of the game, you probably have to copy the files manually. After all, back when the game was first released, many users might have had trouble fitting the contents of an entire CD on their hard disk, together with whatever else they wanted to keep there. At least according to this diagram.
fraludio
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2007 12:43 pm

Post by fraludio »

eriktorbjorn wrote:
fraludio wrote: It's not downloaded from any place, it's the full directory installed from the original game.
Well, installers don't always copy all of the files ScummVM needs to the hard disk, so if you have a CD version of the game, you probably have to copy the files manually. After all, back when the game was first released, many users might have had trouble fitting the contents of an entire CD on their hard disk, together with whatever else they wanted to keep there. At least according to this diagram.
It was the floppy disk version,
Jinx1337
Posts: 144
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2007 9:43 am

Post by Jinx1337 »

Silly or not so silly question with an obvious or not so obvious answer - is Discworld 2 also planned to be supported?
User avatar
Raziel
ScummVM Porter
Posts: 1302
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2005 8:27 am
Location: a dying planet

Post by Raziel »

Jinx1337 wrote:Silly or not so silly question with an obvious or not so obvious answer - is Discworld 2 also planned to be supported?
There IS a wiki you know?
Jinx1337
Posts: 144
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2007 9:43 am

Post by Jinx1337 »

Raziel wrote: There IS a wiki you know?
Now I didn't know the answer for that lies in the Wiki.

Thanks.

edit:

Now I have found more than I asked for!
Didn't know half of these engines were in works. Return to Zork!

I feel a warm, comforting nostalgia.
User avatar
cpt. wesker
Posts: 28
Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2005 10:12 am

Post by cpt. wesker »

any news? :)
clem
Posts: 2160
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2005 11:14 am

Post by clem »

cpt. wesker wrote:any news? :)
Doesn't look like it - the wiki pages haven't seen an edit in quite some time, and according to the SVN log for the tinsel engine, few game-specific changes were committed.
User avatar
md5
ScummVM Developer
Posts: 2250
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:31 pm
Location: Athens, Greece

Post by md5 »

You will be notified if there are any news, have no fear
User avatar
VictimOfScience
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2006 10:02 pm

Post by VictimOfScience »

Hooray! I don't know why but I was inclined to fool with my Discworld disc last night and this morning to see if it played as it did on my Windows 95 box. Needless to say, it did not. Could not get the speech working though I remember I configured it to work before. I have less time to futz with such things nowadays sadly.

I am terribly excited for Discworld to work with the scummVM as it is a no-hassle one-stop shop of awesomeness for all of my gaming needs. If I never play another game I would not care as long as I have my collection of games to play with the scummVM. Thank you for all of the hard work!!!
User avatar
gamin
Posts: 28
Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2006 2:50 pm
Location: Belgium

Post by gamin »

after reading the good news on planet.scummvm.org (Discworld 2 support added to SVN), I downloaded and compiled latest SVN. guess what ? DISCWORLD 2 IS WORKING LIKE A CHARM !!!

just to let you know, I'm using the french version, which is not detected. if I rename FRENCH1.* and FRENCH2.* to ENGLISH1.* and ENGLISH2.*, french voices and subtitles are ok, but menus are still in english. just needed to add the right infos in detection.cpp and now I have my menus in french :D (dw2.scn md5 the same, just missing french1.smp and FR_FRA line)

gonna play it completely right now !!!
User avatar
md5
ScummVM Developer
Posts: 2250
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:31 pm
Location: Athens, Greece

Post by md5 »

gamin wrote:after reading the good news on planet.scummvm.org (Discworld 2 support added to SVN), I downloaded and compiled latest SVN. guess what ? DISCWORLD 2 IS WORKING LIKE A CHARM !!!

just to let you know, I'm using the french version, which is not detected. if I rename FRENCH1.* and FRENCH2.* to ENGLISH1.* and ENGLISH2.*, french voices and subtitles are ok, but menus are still in english. just needed to add the right infos in detection.cpp and now I have my menus in french :D (dw2.scn md5 the same, just missing french1.smp and FR_FRA line)

gonna play it completely right now !!!
Can you please provide the MD5 checksum of dw2.scn?
User avatar
gamin
Posts: 28
Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2006 2:50 pm
Location: Belgium

Post by gamin »

of course I can ! :D
it's exactly the same as english and german one : c6d15ce9720a9d8fef06e6582dcf3f34 file size 103593

here are the lines I added to engines/tinsel/detection.cpp to make my french version directly recognized and fully working :

Code: Select all

	{	// French Discworld 2
		{
			"dw2",
			"CD",
			{
				{"dw2.scn", 0, "c6d15ce9720a9d8fef06e6582dcf3f34", 103593},
				{"french1.smp", 0, NULL, -1},
				{NULL, 0, NULL, 0}
			},
			Common::FR_FRA,
			Common::kPlatformPC,
			Common::ADGF_NO_FLAGS
		},
		GID_DW2,
		0,
		GF_CD | GF_SCNFILES,
		TINSEL_V2,
	},
again, thanks to all developers for this incredible piece of software !!!
superfighter
Posts: 113
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2008 5:34 pm
Location: England

Post by superfighter »

i second that, im especially looking forward to playing this one the wii version sometime in the future, sweeet :lol:
User avatar
ezekiel000
Posts: 443
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:17 pm
Location: Surrey, England

Post by ezekiel000 »

It's very impressive how quickly Discworld 2 support was added, I was expecting it to be supported in a couple of months time. Lucky I just won a copy of DW2 on ebay :D.
User avatar
md5
ScummVM Developer
Posts: 2250
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:31 pm
Location: Athens, Greece

Post by md5 »

gamin wrote:of course I can ! :D
it's exactly the same as english and german one : c6d15ce9720a9d8fef06e6582dcf3f34 file size 103593

here are the lines I added to engines/tinsel/detection.cpp to make my french version directly recognized and fully working :

Code: Select all

	{	// French Discworld 2
		{
			"dw2",
			"CD",
			{
				{"dw2.scn", 0, "c6d15ce9720a9d8fef06e6582dcf3f34", 103593},
				{"french1.smp", 0, NULL, -1},
				{NULL, 0, NULL, 0}
			},
			Common::FR_FRA,
			Common::kPlatformPC,
			Common::ADGF_NO_FLAGS
		},
		GID_DW2,
		0,
		GF_CD | GF_SCNFILES,
		TINSEL_V2,
	},
again, thanks to all developers for this incredible piece of software !!!
Thanks for the details :) added
Post Reply