Discworld

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

hippy dave

Post by hippy dave »

md5 wrote:sev posted a status update concerning DW in his blog:
http://sev-notes.blogspot.com/2008/06/d ... table.html
nice :)
i take it that version isn't on the svn yet tho?
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

no, it isn't.
JamesWoodcock

Post by JamesWoodcock »

A cruel post in that case ;)
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

haha, I, for one, actually think it's a great post;) good to get some hard info on game progress from time to time.
sanguinehearts

Post by sanguinehearts »

Its great to hear that things are moving along smoothly, Its very helpful that the source code was in good shape. Thanks for the update on the progress :)
Vorph

Post by Vorph »

Just a small question,

I recently noticed that my German Version Discworld seems to have all game-data (Folder DISCWLD on the CD) in numerous SCN Files, one SMP File, one IDX File and a TXT File. The English Version CD has GRA Files instead of the SCN Files.

are these files identical (except for language matters) :shock:

Vorph
glokidd

Post by glokidd »

These are actually two different versions, it would seem that different containers were used in v3 than in the original.

Although im sure that there is someone around who knows a bit more about this than me
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

*.scn is the same containerformat that was used in Discworld 2 if I remember correctly.
scoriae

Post by scoriae »

I spent quite a bit of time a few months back trying to solve the mystery of the SCN vs GRA files. Ultimately it seems that it was a difference between region release - and not versions. Every US version I found had one version while every UK release I found had the other.

Glokidd - how can it be 'v3' when Dave made it clear that there never was a version 3? He said a page or 2 back that while he had made a version that ran using the DW2 engine, it was never released and is probably on some jazz drives somewhere.

If there is actually a version difference between the file types, then I would be very interested in finding out about the specifics. Since the file sizes are actually different, that leads me to believe that different compression was used. If that is the case than suddenly the possibility crops up that one may be superior.
glokidd

Post by glokidd »

I only go by the info i have found on this page after noticing that my original V1 copy had several speech bugs with the original interpreter that would cause some issues with subtitles not dislpaying correctly (the charachter's lines would be replaced by a ?--------?) there were also some noticable speed problems.
I later got a copy with the alternate file types and all these bugs were gone so i only assumed that the info listed on the L-space page was accurate.
As to region im not sure, i cant remember if i got my second copy from here or the UK so that is always a possibility. The bottom line though is my first copy which was most likely the first release (perhaps second)has these bugs and the latter one doesn't.
NosPiraatu

Post by NosPiraatu »

.GRA and .SCN files are just different iterations of the same format. If I remember correctly, .GRA originally stood for graphics, but as the files contained all data pertinant to a scene - scene def., scripts, etc as well as graphics - it was changed to .SCN (short for scene) as that seemed more fitting.

There were 3 versions of the game released. On the first pressing (100,000 copies?), the extension was .GRA; on the second version onwards the extension was .SCN
scoriae wrote:If there is actually a version difference between the file types, then I would be very interested in finding out about the specifics. Since the file sizes are actually different, that leads me to believe that different compression was used. If that is the case than suddenly the possibility crops up that one may be superior.
File sizes are different because of
a) script fixes
b) engine development
c) indeed, the compression format did change at one point, probably as a result of experimentation with compression methods that summer, to squeeze the PC version of Primal Rage into a very tight memory scep.
Ceri Cat

Post by Ceri Cat »

As Dave also pointed out the very first release shipped with around 250 known bugs, and a floppy with a patch for a percentage of them was included. I can't even blame this on the development house, it's not uncommon for developers to send in regular builds to the publisher, and then when release date arrives the CDs pressed are a less upto date version for whatever reason. So don't think less of the DW developers...

I might wind up shooting myself, I just released that I've no idea which release my DW1, DW2, and DW Noir package I bought are. :oops: Should have asked the seller for version numbers.
scoriae

Post by scoriae »

Im not sure if it is possible to tell which version a game is beyond the apparant file name extension differences.

If there are actually two versions with SCN extensions, I'd be interested in finding out if there is a way to identify them.

As far as buying the game through ebay though - good luck figuring out what your getting ahead of time.
Ceri Cat

Post by Ceri Cat »

I know the supplier reasonably well. We've had dealings in the past. He's how I got hold of a copy of Robotech: Invasion (PS2) a couple of years ago.
scoriae

Post by scoriae »

there is a discworld supplier? talk about niche...lol