Discworld

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Freddo

Post by Freddo »

Not really in the scope of ScummVM and way into the future, but I hope this means that the Discworld Noir source eventually find it ways out of the vault as well.

Even if it will become a standalone project like Residual (or integrated to Residual?) cause that game have a serious need for bugfixes, and added portability wouldn't hurt either.
samwise

Post by samwise »

Congratulations, guys.

There's many games out there which could probably be given a new lease of life like this, but each one requires someone to put in all that time and effort to tirelessly track everyone down and then sort out and co-ordinate all the legal stuff - a practical impossibility in many cases. I know there's still a lot of work to be done with the code itself, but at least there's now a strong light at the end of the tunnel.

It's great to hear these games will be opened up to a whole new audience.

Many thanks!

Sam.
chas-g

Post by chas-g »

This is great news & cheers to all the team for all their efforts in making this happen :D

I wonder if (now that the code has been obtained) these elusive easter eggs will be discovered by the team when they do their magic to the files of these games?
I hope I don't presume too much asking this question as my previous post regarding Discworld easter eggs was "moved" or should I say deleted?

I now say what has been said many times before - Keep up the good work, as we all appreciate it!!
hippy dave

Post by hippy dave »

excellent news 8) congrats & keep up the good work guys, it's all appreciated!
leprov

Post by leprov »

chas-g wrote:This is great news & cheers to all the team for all their efforts in making this happen :D

I wonder if (now that the code has been obtained) these elusive easter eggs will be discovered by the team when they do their magic to the files of these games?
I hope I don't presume too much asking this question as my previous post regarding Discworld easter eggs was "moved" or should I say deleted?

I now say what has been said many times before - Keep up the good work, as we all appreciate it!!
since the game is based on interpreter, this easter egg isn't in source code. it is in game data...so it is a bit harder to find, and that's not in a reverse engineering that it will be found (but in parsing data)

EDIT : are those easter eggs so secret? i just googled a few, and found (but can't verify it) this :

http://trueblueaussie.com/www.truebluea ... terEgg.htm
http://trueblueaussie.com/www.truebluea ... terEgg.htm

If someone can confirm this work, I will wonder since when this website is up, because those easter eggs seem so unknown
chas-g

Post by chas-g »

Well done Leprov.

I never did google it as the creator was not going to publicly release these eggs (as far as I was aware). So stupidly I never looked because I did not expect to find!!

It looks like your links are genuine - look at the bottom of each of the webpages - see the name there, same as on page 6 of this post?

As regards whether or not the eggs work or not remains to be seen - looks like a fair bit of playing is required to get to them.

Anyone out there playing that are close enough to check 'em out?
leprov

Post by leprov »

of course i saw the copyright, but i can create a web page with a D.Johnston copyright if i want! this could be a fake (even if this looks like real)
meist3r

Post by meist3r »

Ah after such a long time, finally I'll be able to play that game again. I hope the negotiations for the second part won't take another two years ;) I think there is quite a big demand for this game from what I can tell from this thread and my own anticipation. But I believe you guys will give us the best solution as soon as possible anyways. ScummVM is such a great project and any progress like this is another big step.

Thanks for all the hard work and keep it up, can't wait to try this.
Glorfindel

Post by Glorfindel »

It's great to hear these games will be opened up to a whole new audience.
How true! Thanks to the team for the effort to make another great game series immortal.
Tim20

Post by Tim20 »

This is fantastic. After all this time they've finally got it. Can't wait to play these games and especially on my psp. Keep up the good work. :P
cappuchok

Post by cappuchok »

Awesome! Great work, all who worked on getting the source. I'll start digging through my closet to locate the discs and wait for the engine to make an appearance in SVN. :D
Support for the full Kyrandia series, Discworld source code, arrival of the Pandora... this is shaping up to be a great year in retrogaming!
phyber

Post by phyber »

This is the most exciting news since Broken Sword was added :)
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

Who gives a flying f about an easter egg like that? Or at least cares so much they're willing to spend money on an utility that plays them automatically? Ridicolous...

Playing the games again however, will be great:)
scoriae

Post by scoriae »

I have had several people tell me they could not get thos easter eggs to work. Until i see youtube footage of it actually working, I don't believe it. I think that guy was trying to flip a quick buck.
Meringues

Post by Meringues »

I have not personally tried them so I can't say if they work or not - all I was saying was that the are from who they say they are