Discworld

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

simpsonmatrix wrote:You don't have a copy of the source, yet? (What is the problem?)

There are something that the normal people (like me) can do? (email to someone, ...)

Thanks
ScummVM has been in contact with someone who is in contact with the guy with the source. It's such a bad setup...
JamesWoodcock

Post by JamesWoodcock »

I am sure the team are doing everything they can to get the source for Discworld. I am as eager as everyone else to get it working seeing as I have finished the soundtrack for use within ScummVM, but we also need to be patient :)
simpsonmatrix

Post by simpsonmatrix »

Of Course. Ok ( I only want to help, nothing more) :D
timofonic

Post by timofonic »

Best luck to the ScummVM Team about receiving help for adding Discworld support to our loved project. I think adding support of Discworld and making it as freeware will be a very great contribution to both ScummVM users and adventure game fans.

I sincerely want Discworld support occours as soon as possible and being freeware (because I have too few money and using an exotic architecture), but I don't have the enough power or knowedge for helping on this so I must wait like most users.
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

The Madventurer wrote:Best luck to the ScummVM Team about receiving help for adding Discworld support to our loved project.
Well, the source code has still not been received.
timofonic

Post by timofonic »

clone2727 wrote:
The Madventurer wrote:Best luck to the ScummVM Team about receiving help for adding Discworld support to our loved project.
Well, the source code has still not been received.
NO!!?!!? I was think they received it. It's confirmed they still didn't received the source code? An update about this could be interesting to know, I hope finally the source code appears and ScummVM Team can use it as help for creating the Discworld engine on ScummVM....
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Post by LordHoto »

The Madventurer wrote:NO!!?!!? I was think they received it. It's confirmed they still didn't received the source code? An update about this could be interesting to know, I hope finally the source code appears and ScummVM Team can use it as help for creating the Discworld engine on ScummVM....
http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/Discworld
Mim

Post by Mim »

It seems that Markus Dahms is working on Tinsel Engine reimplementation even without a code. http://automagically.de/?tinsel So there is still some hope. :)
timofonic

Post by timofonic »

That are nice news, thanks a lot for giving us that information ;)

There are hopes of seeing Discworld into ScummVM, even if not having the Discworld source code :)
Shrimpkebab

Post by Shrimpkebab »

http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/
http://home.quicknet.nl/qn/prive/blankendaalr/dbgl/

I read that this dos emulator has support for Discworld 1 and 2.

I have not tried it myself.
http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/comp_list ... 0&letter=D
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

DOSbox is an emulator of DOS
ScummVM is a reimplementation of the actual code of several point'n'click adventure (mainly) games
cappuchok

Post by cappuchok »

md5 wrote:DOSbox is an emulator of DOS
Or, perhaps more precisely, DOSbox is an emulator of a simple x86-based computer with a simple sound card and various other peripherals, complete with an emulated DOS on top. This ensures high compatibility with many games without reimplementing each game engine, but it comes at the cost of high overhead in terms of hardware emulation, thus making it largely unusable on many handheld devices and somewhat older computers where ScummVM will run just fine.
cpt. wesker

progress?

Post by cpt. wesker »

it's april 1st 2007... any recent news involving the support of tinsel?

i think reverse engineering will be needed for now, at least till you receive the source code.

do you need any extra tools that can help you, donations etc. for the developing proccess?
kosuan

Post by kosuan »

Don't worry, in the last SVN-build it is already supported !!

Last edited by kosuan on Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

No, sorry, it's April 1st indeed but I don't feel like making an April Fool's joke right now. But feel free to imagine we had announced Discworld support today, and that by now you discovered that it was a joke...

There is nothing at all you can do to help us, short of sitting down, doing the reverse engineering yourself and sending us the results. If we ever need any help, we will ask for it all by ourselves :). Thanks for the offer anyway.