Any way to alter/ edit SCUMM games such as Monkey Island 2?

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

freezer2k2

Any way to alter/ edit SCUMM games such as Monkey Island 2?

Post by freezer2k2 »

Hi there,

my brother wants to find out a way to edit, alter, or change SCUMM games' content. In fact he wants to know a way to combine Monkey Island 2 and 1 (In MI2, after the elevator when you come out at that passage on Melee Island. He wants to remove the barrier and explore all of Melee Island insinde MI2)

Is there some editor out there to do so? Is this even possible? Google searches didn't help a thing..

Any help appreciated
manias

Re: Any way to alter/ edit SCUMM games such as Monkey Island

Post by manias »

freezer2k2 wrote:Hi there,

my brother wants to find out a way to edit, alter, or change SCUMM games' content. In fact he wants to know a way to combine Monkey Island 2 and 1 (In MI2, after the elevator when you come out at that passage on Melee Island. He wants to remove the barrier and explore all of Melee Island insinde MI2)

Is there some editor out there to do so? Is this even possible? Google searches didn't help a thing..

Any help appreciated
you would need the source for that so no :P
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

Actually, there is no Melee Island content on MI2. Even if the game's scripts were altered and the barrier was removed, there would be no other screen to go to, unless your brother wanted to re-create all of Melee Island from scratch :)
freezer2k2

Post by freezer2k2 »

manias wrote:you would need the source for that so no :P
What source? The game files? Or the "source code"? I got the games, but I never did anything related to adventure game design..
md5 wrote:Actually, there is no Melee Island content on MI2. Even if the game's scripts were altered and the barrier was removed, there would be no other screen to go to, unless your brother wanted to re-create all of Melee Island from scratch :)
I know there is no further Melee Island content in MI2 but that passage with the elevator. Removing the barrier would do nothing, unless you tell the game what room's next, which would be the streets of Melee Island then. So there is no program that can just copy the data from MI1 and use it inside ("your own modded") MI2?
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

freezer2k2 wrote:I know there is no further Melee Island content in MI2 but that passage with the elevator. Removing the barrier would do nothing, unless you tell the game what room's next, which would be the streets of Melee Island then. So there is no program that can just copy the data from MI1 and use it inside ("your own modded") MI2?
Well, it's not as simple as you would want it to be, each game is completely separate, so there are other things to be taken into consideration for this. The only relevant project I can think of for this would be ScummC:
http://alban.dotsec.net/7.html
freezer2k2

Post by freezer2k2 »

md5 wrote:Well, it's not as simple as you would want it to be, each game is completely separate, so there are other things to be taken into consideration for this. The only relevant project I can think of for this would be ScummC:
http://alban.dotsec.net/7.html
Such as room numbers, item numbers, and all these? True.. It was highly doubtful to me that it would be that easy.. But I will give ScummC a try. Thanks for helping
Dixon

Post by Dixon »

Or you could rip all the graphics from the games and script it using for instance Adventure game studio. However the time it would take would probably not be worth it.