Monkey Island 2 "broken"... Item not appearing !

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

ScummBag

Monkey Island 2 "broken"... Item not appearing !

Post by ScummBag »

Well i was stuck in MI2 and I could not for the life of me figure out what the problem was. i resorted to looking through a walkthrough and finding that there is supposed to be a laundry claim ticket stuck to the back of largo's door. Well I said to myself "I know I closed that door and I know I found nothing behind it ". So i went back and closed it again and there is NOTHING attached to it. it seems the game is broken or something. What can i do?
DrMcCoy
ScummVM Developer

Post by DrMcCoy »

Did you already dump a bucket of mud over Largo? Without that, he would have no need to give stuff to the laundry guy => no reclaim ticket.
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

yep, get the bucket from the laundry, fill it with mud from the swamp, stick it over the door.
Cyphox

Post by Cyphox »

"A full bucket o'mud, and it's mine! All mine!" :D
ScummBag

Post by ScummBag »

OK i did th emud thing and got past this part. I don't like the mud puzzle though, it really is so vague and there was no clue in the game at all to use the SWAMP as something to put in a pot and then use the pot on the door no less. Bleh. Cant stand stupid puzzles like that.
Mr. Wood

Post by Mr. Wood »

Oh, I don't know. Getting mud/water from a swamp seems a pretty common thing in adventure games. I can think of at least two other games where one is expected to (or at least can) do this: King's Quest VI, and The Hand of Fate.

Besides which, it's not like the swamp isn't a hotspot...

As far as using the bucket on the door, Guybrush makes a point of saying the door won't close all the way. But I guess you have to be a practical joker at heart to consider putting a bucket of mud over someone's door. :)

(personally I found that bugging the men of low moral fibre over and over to get the bucket in the first place was much less logical, but whatever. :) )
Cyphox

Post by Cyphox »

Mr. Wood wrote:Oh, I don't know. Getting mud/water from a swamp seems a pretty common thing in adventure games. I can think of at least two other games where one is expected to (or at least can) do this: King's Quest VI, and The Hand of Fate.

Besides which, it's not like the swamp isn't a hotspot...

As far as using the bucket on the door, Guybrush makes a point of saying the door won't close all the way. But I guess you have to be a practical joker at heart to consider putting a bucket of mud over someone's door. :)

(personally I found that bugging the men of low moral fibre over and over to get the bucket in the first place was much less logical, but whatever. :) )
choose "sorry, is this your bucket?" and you will get it without the bugging ;-)
Mr. Wood

Post by Mr. Wood »

Cyphox wrote:choose "sorry, is this your bucket?" and you will get it without the bugging ;-)
See? Highly illogical! :)
Cyphox

Post by Cyphox »

Mr. Wood wrote:
Cyphox wrote:choose "sorry, is this your bucket?" and you will get it without the bugging ;-)
See? Highly illogical! :)
but funny (imho)... and that's the point :)
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Mr. Wood wrote: (personally I found that bugging the men of low moral fibre over and over to get the bucket in the first place was much less logical, but whatever. :) )
If you play the game in easy mode, you don't have to bother with any bucket, as far as I remember. I don't think it's even in the game then. :)
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

don't even get me started on the monkey wrench-puzzle.
christ almighty.
clem

Post by clem »

Jonatan wrote:don't even get me started on the monkey wrench-puzzle.
christ almighty.
at least the pun works in English - it's completely lost in the german version as I recall
Arantor

Post by Arantor »

I spent ages on that puzzle - they're not generally called "monkey wrenches" in England!! (Adjustable spanner is the usual term in hardware stores here)
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

in any case, you would have to be slightly disturbed to think of using a monkey as a tool for turning a nut. or a nut.
I feel like eating walnuts now.
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

clem wrote:
Jonatan wrote:don't even get me started on the monkey wrench-puzzle.
christ almighty.
at least the pun works in English - it's completely lost in the german version as I recall
Yeah, i remember i only solved it because he was so stiff...

That puzzle was in the same league as the
"Hush Puppies" riddle from StS2 :-)