Loom's extra scene

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

choobs

Loom's extra scene

Post by choobs »

I have a question about the "Extra Scene" that you get in Loom when you play on Expert Mode.

I had watched this extra scene in the CD ROM version years ago, but the other day I was looking at the Wikipedia entry for Loom and saw that it said this:
In the original version, the expert player is rewarded with a graphic sequence that does not appear in the two other levels. The DOS CD-ROM version, however, shows a much shorter version of this sequence to all players.
Now, I am completely tone deaf, so playing through the the original version on Expert will require me to go through a big rigmarole involving me recording each draft as I hear it and comparing it to pre-recordings of each note, so before I do that, I was wondering if anyone can confirm whether or not the scene is the same or if it really is different as Wikipedia states.
choobs

Post by choobs »

Answered my own question. For anyone curious, the dialog is a little different, but otherwise it's identical.
timofonic

Post by timofonic »

What about the Fm Towns version?
Dark-Star

Post by Dark-Star »

Extra scene? Wow, I didn't know that.

Is there a bootparam to skip directly to that scene? Or does one really have to play it through?

-Darkstar
choobs

Post by choobs »

The Madventurer wrote:What about the Fm Towns version?
Also identical, but you have to play Expert Level like the floppy version.
Dark-Star wrote:Extra scene? Wow, I didn't know that.

Is there a bootparam to skip directly to that scene? Or does one really have to play it through?

-Darkstar
If there is, I have no idea. If you've played the CD version, you've seen it. The difference between the original version and the "extra scene" is literally about 2 seconds.

I did it by setting my soundcard to record whatever's going through the speakers and used Audacity to record the sounds and play them back to compare the notes and so forth. I was able to get to the scene in less than half an hour by skipping dialog and cutscenes.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

choobs wrote: I did it by setting my soundcard to record whatever's going through the speakers and used Audacity to record the sounds and play them back to compare the notes and so forth. I was able to get to the scene in less than half an hour by skipping dialog and cutscenes.
If you open the ScummVM debug console (Ctrl+D), there is a "drafts" command that will list all the drafts, and their notes. It was added back when ScummVM first began to support the 16-colour version of Loom, and would sometimes corrupt the memory area where it stored information about the drafts. (It was also useful for bug reports where someone would attach a savegame but forget to mention what the drafts were.)

There's also "drafts learn", that teaches you all the drafts and notes, which might allow you to take some short cuts. Of course, the game doesn't expect you to know all the drafts so early on, which can probably lead to some unexpected behaviour. (It makes it really easy to finish the game quickly, for instance.)

To close the debug console, use the "exit" command.