Technical questions about how to dub DOTT

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

cisco17

Technical questions about how to dub DOTT

Post by cisco17 »

Hello! I just registered, so I must say hello to everyone!

I'm sorry if my english is kinda crappy, I will try my best :)

Well, a year ago (or so) some friends and I did a fan-dub of the DOTT intro, in Spanish. If interested, you can see it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tW-zcXwisnE.

It was just a project made for some practice, because we were studing for voice actors. Nothing more than that.

The case is that, independently of how well or bad made it was, a lot of people asked about dubbing the whole game since then.

As this dub was done independently of the game (we just silenced the voices and put our dialogs over editing the final audio, not the game at all, as we never planned to do so), before starting to plan this kind of project, I wanted to first start researching how to change the ingame voices.

My prior experience with informatics and with the game itself when I was younger, made things easier than if I start from zero, but I have some doubts.

I suppose that the normal way will be doing a program that extracts the voc files from the monster.sou, so I can work with those vocs and then rejoin them into a new monster sou.

But I think that this voc files are in 11025Hz or 8000hz, with not a lot of quality.

I don't know if the tool used to convert SOU to OGG increases the sample rate... I suppose it would be useless with the original samples on a low rate, but I was thinking about working, if its possible for scummvm, with OGG of 44100hz or al least 22050 for the new dub.

Does anyone know if its possible in some way, and if there is a tool or information about how to edit de final OGG file to work with it?

Any info will be welcome, just to start.

Thank you very much! :roll:
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Re: Technical questions about how to dub DOTT

Post by eriktorbjorn »

cisco17 wrote: I suppose that the normal way will be doing a program that extracts the voc files from the monster.sou, so I can work with those vocs and then rejoin them into a new monster sou.
The compress_scumm_sou program would probably be a good starting point for that.
cisco17 wrote: But I think that this voc files are in 11025Hz or 8000hz, with not a lot of quality.
I don't remember, but it looks like ScummVM's code for reading VOC files assumes that the normal case is that the sample rate is either ~11025 Hz or ~22050 Hz. Theoretically, it looks like it could be much higher.
cisco17

Post by cisco17 »

Thank you for your answer.

I will try to investigate some sources :)
GeorgeStobbart

Post by GeorgeStobbart »

I just watched the video and am amazed. :shock:

You are really good voice actors! Good luck with the project! :)
cisco17

Post by cisco17 »

Thanks for your comment. It's not that good, and most people on it is amateur, but anyway, if we finally try to dub the whole game, we will give our best! :)

I've been in touch with someone who clearified me a lot of things about file formats, so I probably will be able to extract and insert voices without problem.

So, my doubts are solved now, thanks for the help!

I wish someday I can at least... start the project, haha :roll: