Simon the Sorcerer I Demos

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

samwise

Simon the Sorcerer I Demos

Post by samwise »

Hi,

I tried the StS I demos listed on the Demos page.

a) Does ScummVM support the Acorn CD version? It seems not at first glance.

b) Playing the DOS floppy version, when Simon enters the cave and talks to the Goblin, there is a rectangle's worth of text missing. This seems to happen whenever text is printed in that part of the screen. Is this a bug with ScummVM or the demo? You can see how it should look, by running the Amiga version.

c) I take it noone 's heard of a talkie demo for StS I, then ... ?

Cheers,

Sam.
Kirben

Post by Kirben »

a. Place all the data files from Acorn demo into single directory, for detection to work correctly under ScummVM.

b. Fixed, use next daily snapshot of ScummVM.

c. The data files of the Acorn demo and DOS Talkie Demo are exactly the same.
samwise

Post by samwise »

a. D'oh! Should have tried that. Plays great.

b. Will do.

c. Ah, so there *is* a DOS Talkie demo - I thought there must be. Out of curiousity, is it available online? The only DOS demo linked on www.scummvm.org/demos.php is the subtitle-only floppy disk demo.
spookypeanut
ScummVM Developer

Post by spookypeanut »

I'm not aware of it being available on-line. I found a copy on an old magazine cover disc a while back.

For as long as it works, I've uploaded it here:
http://download.yousendit.com/179AE91668A44BAE

But as Kirben says, there's little point in it being hosted permanently, as the data files are identical to the Acorn version.
samwise

Post by samwise »

Excellent, I've just grabbed a copy of that.

I appreciate as far as ScummVM is concerned that the Acorn demo is exactly the same, but I think it should be archived anyway, if only for posterity.

It's a bit far-fetched to think ScummVM might get sued out of existence, and we'll all be forced to use DosBox, but it's not entirely impossible! :)

I'd host it myself, but my website is currently running exceptionally low on disk space ...

I wonder if bgbennyboy would be interested in adding them to his archive, as he appears to be hosting the rest of them ...

Still, looks like that's all the DOS ones (unless a StS 2 floppy demo surfaces!) - thanks.

Sam.
samwise

Post by samwise »

Hmm ... actually, can't seem to install this demo. The installer doesn't seem to recognise the disk as the Simon 1 demo disk.

The included read me says:

"Disk.id and Drivers.red need to be in the root directory on the CD."

Are these on your original CD, spookypeanut?

Sam.
spookypeanut
ScummVM Developer

Post by spookypeanut »

Just shows how often I've tried to install it natively (i.e. never)!

Here you go (goodness knows what they're for...)

http://download.yousendit.com/7EEAAD822CE802C6
samwise

Post by samwise »

Heh.

Yeah, I can't imagine there are many ppl who've played it recently. :)

The DISK.ID file is just a text file identifying the demo, afaict, but the installer chokes if it's not available (the rest of the demo needs to be in \SIMON\DEMO). Not sure what the DRIVERS.RED file is, but it's binary so I assume it's drivers for something.

Well, that gets me through the installer, but I can't start either this demo or the StS 2 demo, because I can't get the DIGPAK Sound Driver Setup program that comes with both of them, to recognise the virtual SoundBlaster 16 soundcard emulated by DosBox.

Oh, well, it's mostly there ... I suspect if I wasn't a DosBox n00b, it would work! It's not complaining about any missing files, which is a good thing at least.

Thanks!

Sam.