Hosting the music.rsc from inherit the earth?

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Urd

Hosting the music.rsc from inherit the earth?

Post by Urd »

I wanted t ask if it may be legally possible to host the "music.rsc" from "inherit the earth" on your site.
The problem ist, that i have the '94-cd dos-version from the game, wich don't came with digitl music.
Since i have only an XP-system and a Mac, i couldnt install it the normal way and had to apply some tricks to get the file from the patch (wich comes only in an exe-file)

Since is is possible to download the music.rsc (indirectly) from the offical iste (with patch 1.2) mybe it is possible for you to legally host the file directly for those whocannot axtract the file from the exe.
Kaminari

Post by Kaminari »

You don't need to install the patch to get the music file. This patch is actually an auto-extractible archive. Just unpack it with 7-Zip or WinRAR (right-click, extract here) and you're done.
Urd

Post by Urd »

that was what I did to get he file, but I meant for all those people who have an original Windows version but have an OS that cn't extract exe-files.
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

Any unzip utility can handle those archives.

Eugene
Urd

Post by Urd »

as far as i know, not for mac.
at least i don't know a programm that can extract self-extracting-archives from windows.
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

Urd wrote:as far as i know, not for mac.
at least i don't know a programm that can extract self-extracting-archives from windows.
Theres a thing called "google" and some nerds on the net are hypeing it

I, for one think it'll go down the drain ... like that company from this nerd with glasses ... whats it called? :-D
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

Urd wrote:as far as i know, not for mac.
That program is called unzip, just as I explained. If you're a big fan of GUI, just rename iteupd2.exe to iteupd2.zip.

Eugene
Urd

Post by Urd »

i didt expect it to be that easy, thanks.
Avatrunei

Re: Hosting the music.rsc from inherit the earth?

Post by Avatrunei »

I am reviving this old thread because I realised that the official website of ItE has removed all the updates. (iteupd1.exe and iteupd2.exe as I am aware; dunno if there is iteupd3??) The wiki ItE page links to iteupd2.exe and can't be downloaded.

I have looked online for backups but there isn't one. Not even in archive.org.

If someone has salvaged them, I let them know so that they can be uploaded somewhere. Thanks in such a case.
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Post by criezy »

Avatrunei wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 11:37 am I have looked online for backups but there isn't one. Not even in archive.org.
It is available on archive.org's wayback machine. For example: https://web.archive.org/web/20160730021 ... teupd2.exe
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Post by Praetorian »

Yes, I've just updated our wiki page too to use the wayback machine link (the one I've used is from 6 May 2013)

Also, for the record, the "music.rsc" that is installed with the currently available "trial version" from the wyrmkeep.com site, is identical to the one from the second patch for the game. (I have tested with the Windows Trial Version)
I am unsure if the file "sound/P2_A.iaf" (from the second patch) or the "graphics/CREDIT3N.DLT" (from the first patch) can be found from the trial version -- I do no think so.

All three patches can be found via the wayback maching by the way, although only the first two, and mainly the second one, are relevant when running the game with ScummVM.
Avatrunei

Post by Avatrunei »

Praetorian wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 12:29 pm Yes, I've just updated our wiki page too to use the wayback machine link (the one I've used is from 6 May 2013)
Good and quick job!!!

I think a link to iteupd1.exe should be fit in the page though (and for historical reasons the third too, even if its not needed for SVM)