Monkey Island Madness Roland MT32

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

MadMarvin

Monkey Island Madness Roland MT32

Post by MadMarvin »

Is it possible to play both games from the MIM compilation with Rolamd MT-32 emulation enabled? Woul you recommend buying a different compilation / version / whatever?
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Re: Monkey Island Madness Roland MT32

Post by eriktorbjorn »

MadMarvin wrote:Is it possible to play both games from the MIM compilation with Rolamd MT-32 emulation enabled? Woul you recommend buying a different compilation / version / whatever?
I don't have that collection, but I would have guessed it contains the CD version of The Secret of Monkey Island, i.e. the one that uses pictures for the inventory and CD audio tracks for the music. I don't think there's any way to get that one to play MIDI music.
MadMarvin

Post by MadMarvin »

eriktorbjorn wrote: I don't have that collection, but I would have guessed it contains the CD version of The Secret of Monkey Island, i.e. the one that uses pictures for the inventory and CD audio tracks for the music. I don't think there's any way to get that one to play MIDI music.
Maybe I got confused with this whole music-sound-midi-issue, uhm, let's ask a different question:
Are these audio tracks superior to the original music? "Superior" as in:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=i3dB0qEcG20

compared to

http://youtube.com/watch?v=WjvD3C_nvBk&feature=related

?
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

MadMarvin wrote:Maybe I got confused with this whole music-sound-midi-issue, uhm, let's ask a different question:
Are these audio tracks superior to the original music? "Superior" as in:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=i3dB0qEcG20

compared to

http://youtube.com/watch?v=WjvD3C_nvBk&feature=related

?
This is the CD version of the intro:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejgBZGqKRD4

I can't judge whether or not the CD audio tracks are better than the MT-32 music, since I've heard so little of the MT-32 music.

Besides it's a well documented fact that everyone thinks the first version they ever heard of the Monkey Island theme is perfect, and everything else is just pale imitations... even if the first version they heard was played on the PC speaker. :)
MadMarvin

Post by MadMarvin »

eriktorbjorn wrote: This is the CD version of the intro:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejgBZGqKRD4

I can't judge whether or not the CD audio tracks are better than the MT-32 music, since I've heard so little of the MT-32 music.

Besides it's a well documented fact that everyone thinks the first version they ever heard of the Monkey Island theme is perfect, and everything else is just pale imitations... even if the first version they heard was played on the PC speaker. :)
My, that doesn't sound bad at all, thank you. Seems I will have to grab the Madness version then.
Damn, it's just impossible to aquire the Bounty Pack if you live in Germany, guess I'll buy CMI seperatley.

Thanks once again :)
Cyphox

Post by Cyphox »

The CD-Version of MI definitely sounds better than MT-32. AND is has the newer Scumm-Interface from MI2, with Pictures instead of words and so on....

According to mobygames.com the german/european version of Madness is called "Monkey Island Special" but be aware, in contradiction to the statement of mobygames the german version (mi-Special) does NOT contain the enhanced audio-cd version. I know this for sure, i own the original Mi-special. Same with (can only say it for german version) "Monkey Island Collection", the Collection with the first 3 MI`s, no enhanced Audio version either....

http://www.mobygames.com/game/monkey-island-madness
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

Ah, but there's no stump joke in the CD version ;)
GrubbySeismic

Post by GrubbySeismic »

clone2727 wrote:Ah, but there's no stump joke in the CD version ;)
LOL edited out for Political Correctness?...
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

GrubbySeismic wrote:
clone2727 wrote:Ah, but there's no stump joke in the CD version ;)
LOL edited out for Political Correctness?...
There was nothing politically incorrect about the stump joke. In the floppy version, when you examined a stump in the forest, you'd see the following text:
Hey!
There's a hole at the base of this stump!
Wow! It's a tunnel that opens onto a system of catacombs!
I think I can squeeze through--
[Insert Disk 22 and Press Button to Continue.]
[Insert Disk 36 and Press Button to Continue.]
[Insert Disk 114 and Press Button to Continue.]
Oh, well. I guess I can't go down there.
I'll just have to skip that part of the game.
But the joke didn't make much sense for a game that came on one CD. I guess that's why it was removed.
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

eriktorbjorn wrote:But the joke didn't make much sense for a game that came on one CD. I guess that's why it was removed.
Also, apparently many people didn't understand the joke and rumor has it that LucasArts was swamped with phone calls about it. (See the call box on Dinky Island in MI2)
samwise

Post by samwise »

Not rumour, I read an article with interviews of LucasArts peeps at the time. They got loads of calls from ppl asking where to find the extra disks ... they got so annoyed with it, the joke was removed in the CD version, then parodied in MI2.

Sam.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

samwise wrote:they got so annoyed with it, the joke was removed in the CD version, then parodied in MI2.
There's also a reference to the stump joke in The Curse of Monkey Island, only there the secret tunnel leads up to a tree stump in a forest.
theruler

Post by theruler »

Funny thing,
in the italian version the stump joke text is slightly different:

[Insert Disk 22 and Press F13 to Continue.]
[Insert Disk 36 and Press all keys to Continue.]
[Insert all Disks and call 112* to Continue.]

*112 is the 911 italian equivalent.

maybe the C.T.O. company (our translator/publisher for italy) wanted to avoid the TONS of "request for missing floppies calls", so they changed the joke to make cristal clear that was a joke indeed.
Only my guess.
Last edited by theruler on Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:43 am, edited 3 times in total.
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

eriktorbjorn wrote:There's also a reference to the stump joke in The Curse of Monkey Island, only there the secret tunnel leads up to a tree stump in a forest.
...and is attacked by rabid jaguars!
GrubbySeismic

Hmmm...

Post by GrubbySeismic »

Def. one for the Easter Egg catalogue then, methinks? I'm not even sure it'd be easy to get hold of a Floppy version now...