How big can ScummVM get, for it to still be ScummVM

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

sanguinehearts

How big can ScummVM get, for it to still be ScummVM

Post by sanguinehearts »

I was just wondering to myself in my last post about how much the ScummVM devs plan on expanding ScummVM by implementing new game engines? The list is huge already, and I was just wondering do you intend to add game engines on an availability purpose. or is there a set limit to how many game engines can be economically supported before ScummVM becomes too large to warrant it ScummVM anymore.
I guess most of this will come with time and Im sure the renaming of ScummVM has come up before, but It seems to me that with so many engines supported now alongside the Scumm engine, its now more of a SupportedAdventureVM. Im definately not in support of a name change, I just think that people will approach ScummVM because they know it will support Scumm games, but others looking to play different adventures(who dont know the project well) may not instictively think to use ScummVM for their needs. overall this leads to the possibility of ScummVM lowering their target userbase.

not being one of the latter users, I find the project to have an attractive and interesting name, but it certainly does bear thinking about.

Rant over.
Robert
clem

Post by clem »

O, be some other name!
What's in a name? that which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet
MetaFox

Post by MetaFox »

This subject comes up quite a bit. The project will always remain ScummVM, but if you'd feel better you can use your own acronym (or use an acronym from the ScummVM wiki).
fingolfin
Retired

Re: How big can ScummVM get, for it to still be ScummVM

Post by fingolfin »

sanguinehearts wrote:Im definately not in support of a name change, I just think that people will approach ScummVM because they know it will support Scumm games, but others looking to play different adventures(who dont know the project well) may not instictively think to use ScummVM for their needs. overall this leads to the possibility of ScummVM lowering their target userbase.

Most people don't even know what "SCUMM" is, so they won't skip ScummVM because of the association with "SCUMM adventure games by LucasArts". Although they might skip it because they have no clue at all what "ScummVM" is about. Of course this would happen with almost any other name except for "Graphics Adventure Emulator" or so ... But the same might happen to FireFox, too, right? :)