Fascination

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

chris

Fascination

Post by chris »

Hi,

Did you know Fascination ? This is an adventure game from Coktel Vision in 1991.

I've recently uploaded the very rarest release of Fascination, CD version here :

[Moderational: Warez link removed]

But there is a problem, the game run only on Dos 6.22 & Win 95, not under Dosbox and not directly under Win 9x and probably not under XP & Vista too.

This version is dub in English and sub in multilanguages included french, english, deutsch, spanish & italiano. When you try the game under Win, it crash at the beginig of the adventure, on the hotel and no mouse cursor is available.

You have add a Coktel Vision engine in ScummVM, so, that's why i post this "request engine" for Fascination in the hope of, one day (pretty soon if possible ;) ) you can add this good game in ScummVM :)

If i can check things or purchase bugs, i'm agree, i've finish this game many times (hmm, just two or three in fact :p ).

Cheers,

Chris
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

Forum rule #0

As for fascination, there is already a post about it here:
http://forums.scummvm.org/viewtopic.php ... ascination
chris

Post by chris »

md5 wrote:Forum rule #0
There no warez in my post, i'm not request a game and fascination is no sold still many years. The link is to my own board too.

How did you check the CD version of Fascination if you haven't ?
md5 wrote:As for fascination, there is already a post about it here:
http://forums.scummvm.org/viewtopic.php ... ascination
This post is not especially for Fascination CD but for many Coktel games like Fascination, Geisha and Inca ;)
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

The fact that it is no longer sold does not mean that you can provide it as a download, the company still retains copyright for the game, unless it the company itself specifically states that the game can be distributed for free. Examples are Revolution software, who declared Lure of the Temptress and Beneath a Steel Sky as freeware, and Interactive Binary Illusions, who declared Flight of the Amazon Queen as freeware.

Coktel Vision has NOT made any of their games freeware, therefore you are not allowed to distribute them yourself in any way. The fact that it's your own website doesn't change any of the above statements.

Also refer to our Copyright FAQ:
http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/Copyright_FAQ

And the post I linked to is from the gob engine (the one used in most Coktel Games) maintainer, DrMcCoy
Noelemahc

Post by Noelemahc »

But there is a problem, the game run only on Dos 6.22 & Win 95, not under Dosbox and not directly under Win 9x and probably not under XP & Vista too.
Filthy lies. It does run under DosBox 0.72CVS quite nicely. Actually, a surprising amount of games does, but I digress. There's still the fact that Dr McCoy is adamant about not adding any intentional support whatsoever for the adult games of Coktel, so all of this discussion is pretty pointless.
chris

Post by chris »

md5 wrote:The fact that it is no longer sold does not mean that you can provide it as a download, the company still retains copyright for the game, unless it the company itself specifically states that the game can be distributed for free. Examples are Revolution software, who declared Lure of the Temptress and Beneath a Steel Sky as freeware, and Interactive Binary Illusions, who declared Flight of the Amazon Queen as freeware.

Coktel Vision has NOT made any of their games freeware, therefore you are not allowed to distribute them yourself in any way. The fact that it's your own website doesn't change any of the above statements.

Also refer to our Copyright FAQ:
http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/Copyright_FAQ
I know that but i think "non working" and rarest release is not concerned by direct link, that's not the fact apparently but the word Warez is really agressive in this case, i'm not purpose lucas games, broken sword series or feeble files. Fascination is one of the game who nobody have rule about it, that's not a good reason to purpose it for free but not to use the word warez too. Warez is really usefull to games still sold or illegal to purpose for free like lucas games, Fascination is just a non abandonware game.

And the post I linked to is from the gob engine (the one used in most Coktel Games) maintainer, DrMcCoy[/quote]

I see but my post is only for fascination, i don't request support for geisha and inca and i'm think my subject is better alone than many CV request engine, i don't know if this is a good idea because i'm open this topic nicely and since, i read the word "warez" or "lies" in this, what a bad reception :(
Noelemahc wrote:Filthy lies. It does run under DosBox 0.72CVS quite nicely. Actually, a surprising amount of games does, but I digress. There's still the fact that Dr McCoy is adamant about not adding any intentional support whatsoever for the adult games of Coktel, so all of this discussion is pretty pointless.
Did you read my topic before speaking lies and answer me with violence ? I speak about the CD VERSION of Fascination, off course the floppy version is 100% working under Dosbox since many times but not the CD version for the moment. Now, if ScummVM team don't want to add adult games, for sure, that's another thing...
DrMcCoy
ScummVM Developer

Post by DrMcCoy »

chris wrote:Fascination is just a non abandonware game.
I.e. it's illegal to distribute, i.e. it's warez. :P
chris wrote:Did you read my topic before speaking lies and answer me with violence ? I speak about the CD VERSION of Fascination, off course the floppy version is 100% working under Dosbox since many times but not the CD version for the moment.
The CD version is working in Dosbox as well, if you know how to set it up.
It just does a few tricky things, like reading the CD raw to get to the data files, which are in the data track behind the actual ISO9660 file system. That of course also complicates support in ScummVM...
chris wrote:Now, if ScummVM team don't want to add adult games, for sure, that's another thing...
Let's just it's at the lower end of my priority list, far behind Woodruff, Lost in Time, Inca II, Urban Runner, The Last Dynasty, the Addy games, ... ;)
exofreeze
Banned

Post by exofreeze »

cd version works perfect in dosbox for me. just have to mount using the -t cdrom command.
chris

Post by chris »

I've try to mount cd right now with dosbox 0.72 & d-fend without success. I have a perfect iso (sell my original after that, yes, i know...). That's not the place for dosbox support, that's why i will send a mp to DrMcCoy for that :)

I'm not come here for a special scummvm support for this version, if i can run with dosbox, that's good too.
DrMcCoy
ScummVM Developer

Post by DrMcCoy »

chris wrote:I have a perfect iso (sell my original after that, yes, i know...).
...And because of that, I won't receive any help. Not here, not on a PrivMsg.