So, the next version of ScummVM will be 1.0.0...

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

cappuchok

So, the next version of ScummVM will be 1.0.0...

Post by cappuchok »

... quite a jump from 0.10.0.Could that be the sweet smell of another supported game being re-released as freeware with the upcoming 1.0? Dunno, but it does make one wonder, doesn't it...
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

Who told you that the next version will be 1.0? First time I read this :P The current unstable version is 0.11.0, which leads to the logical conclusion that the next stable release will be 0.11.0 and the next unstable 0.12.0 :)

The liberation of a game's copyright and its re-release as public domain/freeware is entirely up to the company who made it originally, plus the company who distributed it, if it still has rights on its distribution
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

md5 wrote:Who told you that the next version will be 1.0? First time I read this :P
The latest news item on the ScummVM web page says that "we have rescheduled our Birthday to Jan 15th, to coincide with the release of ScummVM 1.0.0!"

Though I note that this news item prudently doesn't say for sure which year. :)
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

Ah true true. I skipped over the text and just saw the links in that news item :lol: Oops :P I kind of like the current version numbering though, to my eyes, ScummVM should reach version 1.0 when all old point'n'click adventure games are supported :wink:

And yes, it's good that the news item doesn't specify a year :D
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

eriktorbjorn wrote:
md5 wrote:Who told you that the next version will be 1.0? First time I read this :P
The latest news item on the ScummVM web page says that "we have rescheduled our Birthday to Jan 15th, to coincide with the release of ScummVM 1.0.0!"

Though I note that this news item prudently doesn't say for sure which year. :)
And it was not confirmed by any of active developers...

Eugene
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

Ah NOW I understood what happened. The original phrase in the news item was:
...But don't worry! Due to popular demand, we have rescheduled our Birthday to Jan 15th, to coincide with the release of 0.1.0
i.e. version 0.1.0, the first version of ScummVM. This was afterwards incorrectly changed to:
...But don't worry! Due to popular demand, we have rescheduled our Birthday to Jan 15th, to coincide with the release of 1.0.0
...which is wrong (a typo), as noone told (or discussed) about this in -devel

i.e. the next version will most likely be 0.11.0 - big changes like this one are usually discussed first before going live
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

md5 wrote: ...which is wrong (a typo), as noone told (or discussed) about this in -devel
The release schedule usually comes as a surprise to me so I didn't consider that possibility, but your explanation makes sense. Particularly since the news item has been fixed now. :)
cappuchok

Post by cappuchok »

Thanks for clearing that up, and yes, it was the news item that got my attention as it said 1.0.0... :)
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

sev wrote:And it was not confirmed by any of active developers...
I could make a joke about Endy here...