Couple of new GUI feature ideas

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

gzsfrk

Couple of new GUI feature ideas

Post by gzsfrk »

First off, thanks yet again to the ScummVM devs for the awesome work they've done and are doing.

Ok, now a GUI question:

How hard would it be to add an option to the GUI so that when you exit a game, it returns to the GUI instead of exiting ScummVM completely? I've done some Googling, and I did find that this option is available for some cell-phone/PDA builds, but I can't find anyone that's built a Windows port that has this option. Anyone have any thoughts there?

Second, would it be very complicated/difficult to integrate joystick configuration into the GUI? It could be something as simple as a checkbox in the Options panel to enable joystick support (for the first game controller), or as nice as being able to select a joystick and map the directions/keys. It wouldn't need to be anything fancy by any means, but it would beat me starting ScummVM using a batch file that runs:

scummvm --joystick=0

I was thinking about it, and for both of these settings, it could work to just create a new "Misc" tab under the Options panel that had the settings for both the GUI-return and joystick setup, as well as being a nice bucket for any future miscellaneous settings that get integrated into the GUI.

Anyhow, thanks for taking the time to read as well as any insight any of you might have.

And Merry Christmas to the devs! May you Christmas wish list be mostly filled! =)

Cheers...
pi

Post by pi »

IIRC the return-to-gui feature was discussed a while ago and was planned to implement "some time in the future". About the joystick part, I have no idea. One could think of a joystick to mouse mapper, similar to the way you could use the keyboard arrow keys instead of a mouse in LA games. OTOH, what would you want joystick support for? And don't forget, "as easy as a checkbox" just doesn't account for the programming work that goes into a fully-bred joystick input handler ;)

EDIT: Forget what I said about the joystick, of course ScummVM already has joystick input support. :oops: I didn't read your post too well, it seems. Nonetheless, I dunno whether to "just insert" a checkbox would be enough, depends how the joystick is initialized when not specified from the command line.

Regards,
pi~
clem

Post by clem »

the return-to-launcher thing has often been discussed in the old forum and the feature-request SF.net part

afaik it's not implemented because the drivers don't clean up the memory before exiting, if you entered another game it'd

a) could mean memory leaks
b) could mean unexpected results, thus more bug reports, thus more work

clem
gzsfrk

Post by gzsfrk »

clem wrote:the return-to-launcher thing has often been discussed in the old forum and the feature-request SF.net part

afaik it's not implemented because the drivers don't clean up the memory before exiting, if you entered another game it'd

a) could mean memory leaks
b) could mean unexpected results, thus more bug reports, thus more work

clem
Thanks clem! Fair enough answer, and that explains very clearly why the feature is yet to be implemented.

Merry Christmas! =)