Soundfonts, Windows MIDI and SFX

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

L0nk

Soundfonts, Windows MIDI and SFX

Post by L0nk »

Hi there,

I am new but I am a happy ScummVM user for months - just for the beginning: great job to the developers, I use ScummVM both on Windows and on my DS and it works great.

First of all: I am trying to play "The Secret of Monkey Island", the German DOS VGA non-CD version (kinda complicated description ;) ).
Well, to my concern: I have a SoundBlaster Audigy audio board. And I am trying to get soundfonts working properly. Therefore I put the audio output to Windows MIDI and selected a soundfont. So far so good, the MIDI audio now gets played through the soundfont and sounds very nice. However all non-MIDI soundeffects such as opening door are dead silent. And that's kinda sad. I also tried Mixed Adlib/MIDI mode but it doesn't change anything. I also tried several other settings but most of them do not even load the soundfont and sound very similar to Adlib (which I'll continue using for now as this one has both MIDI audio and SFX).

So I am kinda puzzled.. what setting could I use so that it works.

Thanks,

L0nk
Dwyloc

Post by Dwyloc »

In this case you are not doing anything wrong.

The problem is that Monkey Island only support sound effects when in adlib music mode. Thats why they released the CD versions of Monkey Island as they allow you to have good sounding music at the same time as sound effects by pre recording the midi music and playing it as audio track from CD and using adlib just to play the sound effects.