Monkey Island CD ver. What controls command text placement?

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Monkey Island CD ver. What controls command text placement?

Post by Praetorian »

I am not sure if this is the right place to post this. Hopefully someone who was worked in the insides of the scumm engines will know and give a helpful answer.

I am looking into the Monkey Island CD Version, and assessing if we can translate it toour native language (greek).

This problem has come up: Monkey Island (1) CD version has a panel with all the commands. Their translation in greek gives somewhat bigger words that ideally should be realigned in the panel. (I have already messed with the panel background image to redraw the slots and this was done successfully).

I still need to find what/where in the scumm files controls the overlaying of these commands on top of the "command panel" and aligning them centered in columns of three.

Any ideas ?

P.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Re: Monkey Island CD ver. What controls command text placeme

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Praetorian wrote: I still need to find what/where in the scumm files controls the overlaying of these commands on top of the "command panel" and aligning them centered in columns of three.
I'm pretty sure it's handled by one of the scripts. I'm not sure which one, but it's probably worth looking for what calls ScummEngine_v5::o5_verbOps().
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Post by Praetorian »

Thank you. I does seem like the right place to search for what I need to find out.

From a first look, the code is somewhat obscure to me, but I guess if I give it some time, it will become cleared. I think, that the code parses some script files from the game and certain fields in those files determine the placement.
Now, all I need to do is find some time to understand it better :)
clem

Post by clem »

Praetorian wrote:Thank you. I does seem like the right place to search for what I need to find out.

From a first look, the code is somewhat obscure to me, but I guess if I give it some time, it will become cleared. I think, that the code parses some script files from the game and certain fields in those files determine the placement.
Now, all I need to do is find some time to understand it better :)
if you understand it you could add comments and submit a patch, might make things easier for archaeologists in future generations :)