Best program to develop a new adventure to be used with SCUM

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

rivadolmo

Post by rivadolmo »

Is it possible to have a link to the different tools you mention?

Thank you :wink:
timofonic

Post by timofonic »

Here a links list of some engines found in a fast way.

ScummC
AGS
SLUDGE
Visionaire
AGAST
Wintermute
MAD

You can use AGI and SCI. I think SCI is less recommended because the interesting SCI versiones (SCI1.1 and newer) seems aren't properly supported.

Please remember I didn't checked the current status of those engines. Use them at your own risk ;)
MrPunchy

Post by MrPunchy »

a game created in ScummC is compatible with scummvm??
john_doe
ScummVM Developer

Post by john_doe »

ScummC is very experimental. I don't think you can make complete games with it yet.

AGS, SLUDGE, Visionaire, AGAST and Wintermute are all in active development.

MAD development seems to be inactive/stopped.
(But it's open source so maybe an inspiration if you want to write your own engine.)
rivadolmo

Post by rivadolmo »

Could be a good occasion to speed up its developpement (ScummC).
It could be interesting to use both of them (ScummC and AGS) to outline some comparison chart for developpers.

Somebody has already beganto use ScummC?
timofonic

Post by timofonic »

rivadolmo wrote:Could be a good occasion to speed up its developpement (ScummC).
It could be interesting to use both of them (ScummC and AGS) to outline some comparison chart for developpers.

Somebody has already beganto use ScummC?
It seems original ScummC developer has the project freezed, developing an SCUMM compiler isn't an easy task.

About AGS, it's even used in some commercial games of a few years ago but not open-source. I don't understand why now, as those games seem to be freeware now.
Kaminari

Post by Kaminari »

Wintermute is used by Abborado Studios in their forthcoming Once Upon a Time in Japan, which looks very promising. According to the developers of the game, Wintermute has a lot more potential than AGS.
The Madventurer wrote:About AGS, it's even used in some commercial games of a few years ago but not open-source. I don't understand why now, as those games seem to be freeware now.
Al Emmo? It was just released last year, and last time I checked (a couple minutes ago) it wasn't free. Or are you talking about other games?
rivadolmo

Post by rivadolmo »

Is Wintermute running under ScummVM?
clem

Post by clem »

rivadolmo wrote:Is Wintermute running under ScummVM?
no
timofonic

Post by timofonic »

Kaminari wrote:
The Madventurer wrote:About AGS, it's even used in some commercial games of a few years ago but not open-source. I don't understand why now, as those games seem to be freeware now.
Al Emmo? It was just released last year, and last time I checked (a couple minutes ago) it wasn't free. Or are you talking about other games?
No, I was talking in general. There were a lot of commercial AGS games that were later released as freeware.

I don't see the reason of remaining the engines closed-source, as the games could be better selled if run on more platforms. Just look at ScummVM, it helps a lot to sell all those collections of games (and the ones by Lucas Arts before they deleted everything from their online store).
rivadolmo

Post by rivadolmo »

:oops:
Let me undestand....

If AGS games work on SCUMMVM why should be a problem if they keep the engine "covered"?

:?:
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

rivadolmo wrote::oops:
Let me undestand....

If AGS games work on SCUMMVM why should be a problem if they keep the engine "covered"?

:?:
To support AGS games you have to support them by implementing the engine.

To do so you either have to

1) give/reveal/whatever the source code of AGS to a ScummVM dev to implement it

which would breach the "closed source" policy of the AGS author
or

2) RE the engine without the source code

which would take a lot of amount, time and devs and
again breach the policy of "closed source"

Why?

ScummVM is covered by GPL, so that the source code is open to everyone. AGS is not!
ERGO: It would breach ... well, i think you get the point

As long as the author of AGS doesn't give his permission it won't happen.
SuperDre

Post by SuperDre »

The Madventurer wrote:I agree, but I would not choose AGS because there aren't an open-source interpreter of it. I don't understand the reason of the AGS developer, but he's obssesive with not opening the source code because some weird reasons that are senseless to me.

Official AGS interpreter uses the forgotten Allegro library, so even if being open that can be a problem with porting to certain platforms too.

I don't know of any AGS open-source implementation available, but maybe there are something out there.

See the AGS faq http://new.bigbluecup.com/acfaq.htm
Why would it need to be open-source? it's multiplatform anyway (Linux/Mac/Windows). The reason he doesn't want to give it away is because he has been burned in the past by some assholes. Personally I can imagine perfectly why he doesn't want to give away the code..
And I bet if you are really serious he will allow you to do a port to another platform..

Of all the freeware games that I've tried, the only ones that never gave me problems where AGS created ones.
AGAST games gave me a lot of crashing problems(or better, didn't start at all)

People are too hungup on Opensource. AGS is great as it is now, you could do any old LucasArts game with it, any sierra adventure, better yet, any game that scummvm supports at the moment..
They are also experimenting with 3d characters so that's also nice for future..
It's totally free to create and distribute your games with, it also got a great community.
rivadolmo

Post by rivadolmo »

Forgive me pals..... :cry:

Are you saying that AGS isn't the best tool to create a game be used with SCUMMVM ('cause to its close engine)?

--->> AGS's GAMES aren't supported by SCUMMVM?

Thanks for your patience
Last edited by rivadolmo on Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
clem

Post by clem »

rivadolmo wrote: --->> AGS isn't supported by SCUMMVM?
no, AGS isn't supported by ScummVM (as a quick look at the compatibility list probably would have told you)