Subtitles in Fate of Atlantis: native, or added by ScummVM?

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

metzomagic

Subtitles in Fate of Atlantis: native, or added by ScummVM?

Post by metzomagic »

Hi there,

My first post. Been using ScummVM for quite a while, but also DOSBox and VDMSound. I recently revved up (the 'talkie' CD version of) Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis for the first time in about 10 years and... was surprised to see that ScummVM has subtitle support for this game but DOSBox apparently not.

So... my question to the ScummVM team is: were subtitles added during the ScummVM port, or are they natively supported by the game and I just can't figure out how to turn them on?

Thanks in advance,
MetzO'Magic
clem

Re: Subtitles in Fate of Atlantis: native, or added by Scumm

Post by clem »

metzomagic wrote:So... my question to the ScummVM team is: were subtitles added during the ScummVM port, or are they natively supported by the game and I just can't figure out how to turn them on?
probably the latter - while there are some cases where single strings are patched over to fix obvious errors ScummVM generally doesn't add subtitles where there were none originally
PsYcO
Got 2 warnings

Post by PsYcO »

a couple of things is possible

make sure you have the files required
check the 'f5' menu for subtitle settings
check the game settings(at the point of selecting play game) for subtitle settings

if your still encountering problems i suppose some data may be corrupt so try coping the files to your HDD again

i suppose the engine would naturally support it, but a little manual tweaking, im sure, was needed

but i suppose the most likely reason you are experiencing a lack of subtitles, is because they may simply not be there, dosbox is an emulator and there for it acts like the original medium, scummvm is not, scummvm interpret the games differently often with the same result, or neer as makes no difference.
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

I don't ever recall using 'f5' when I used to play before ScummVM, and I always used 'f1' and it pulled up the grey menu in the later games with the options and stuff.
metzomagic

Post by metzomagic »

Guys, hi,

Thanks for confirming that the subtitles weren't added by the ScummVM team. So that prompted me to run it again in DOSBox and take a closer look...

Firstly, you can only bring up the menu in ScummVM with F5, whereas in DOSBox both the F1 and F5 keys work. However, in DOSBox, this menu only gives you the following options:

Save, Load, Play, Quit

And none of those allow you to configure any options. So I took a step back and ran the game from scratch in DOSBox. Indeed, there is a configuration screen where you can set up the hardware. The only way I could get subtitles was by disabling voice there. But that kind of defeats the purpose.

So ScummVM definitely wins out here over DOSBox, in that the F5/Options screen gives you the following choices:

Speech Only, Subtitles Only, Speech and Subtitles

You can probably guess which option I chose :D

My conclusion is that with DOSBox (i.e., the original game), you can have either speech or subtitles, but not both :cry:

Regards,
MetzO'Magic
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

metzomagic wrote:My conclusion is that with DOSBox (i.e., the original game), you can have either speech or subtitles, but not both :cry:
I don't believe that is true. Unfortunately, I'm not home and I can't test it now, but I'm almost certain there's a grey menu that pops up with save/play/load/quit on the right and on the left are all the sound/subtitle options.
SimSaw

Post by SimSaw »

It IS possible: You just have to press Ctrl+T in the original games to switch the mode. This also works with all the other DOS Scumm Talkies.
metzomagic

Post by metzomagic »

It IS possible: You just have to press Ctrl+T in the original games to switch the mode. This also works with all the other DOS Scumm Talkies.
Bingo, SimSaw. Direct hit! Ctrl+T does the trick. You see, I am on the road in Atlanta, and the manual that came with my LucasArts Adventure Collection is 3000 miles away back in Ireland.

I had tried Googling for stuff like 'fate of atlantis subtitles', but with no success.

Anyway, thanks guys, mystery solved. Nothing to see here, move along.

Regards,
MetzO'Magic