Bug in scummVM interface

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

derboo

Bug in scummVM interface

Post by derboo »

Sorry, I couldn't figure out how to make entries to the bug tracker, so I write it here:

When i have Gobliiins and Gobliins 2 installed, scummVM always starts Gobliiins, no matter which one i select.

Similar problem with Elvira and Simon the Sorcerer, but in this case it just crashes when i select Elvira after searching for the data files from Simon.

When i remove the folders for Gobliiins and Simon respectively, it works.

I used the latest daily build for Windows.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Re: Bug in scummVM interface

Post by eriktorbjorn »

derboo wrote: When i have Gobliiins and Gobliins 2 installed, scummVM always starts Gobliiins, no matter which one i select.
Did you put the Gobliiins and Gobliins 2 data files in the same folder? That could probably confuse ScummVM.
derboo

Post by derboo »

No, they are in seperate folders called gob1 and gob2.
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

Please, click on "Edit game" for the problematic games, and tell us the game ID for each game

Have you tried removing the problematic entries in the ScummVM interface and readding them?
derboo

Post by derboo »

ID's are gob1cd-us and gob2-us. I tried to delete and re-add them but it doesn't solve the problem.

The problem seems to be that i have both game folders in the same subfolder (its /scummvm/games/gob1/ and /scummvm/games/gob2/). It would even load Gobliiins if it is not added at all in the scummvm interface.

Could it be a problem with priority given to certain subfolders? I tried to move gob1 to /scummvm/gob1/ and after doing this and re-inserting the games into scummvm it always loads gob2 instead, even if i choose gob1.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

derboo wrote:ID's are gob1cd-us and gob2-us. I tried to delete and re-add them but it doesn't solve the problem.

The problem seems to be that i have both game folders in the same subfolder (its /scummvm/games/gob1/ and /scummvm/games/gob2/). It would even load Gobliiins if it is not added at all in the scummvm interface.
Perhaps you'd better list which files are inside the gob1 and gob2 folders, because if there are only Gobliins 2 data files in gob2, and you're pointing ScummVM to that folder, I don't see how it could possibly play Gobliiins from it.
derboo

Post by derboo »

It doesnt load if from the Gobliins 2 folder.
It loads from scummvm/games/gob1/ even if i select the Gobliins 2 instance located in scummvm/games/gob2/ (before i moved gob1).

gob1:
gob.lic
intro.stk
track1.mp3

gob2:
disk2.stk
disk3.stk
intro.stk
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

Could you please post your scummvm.ini (only the parts where gob1 and gob2 are listed)?
and maybe your md5sums of the .stk files?
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Other things that could possibly affect this is that, in addition to looking for files in the game path, ScummVM also looks for them in the current directory (under Windows, this is probably the folder where scummvm.exe is) and the "extra path".
derboo

Post by derboo »

I don't have a "scummvm.ini" file...

The last suggestion sounds plausible to me, but I don't know how to change the current directory manually.
Kirben

Post by Kirben »

Are you sure a scummvm.ini doesn't exists on your system? the default location depends on the Windows version.

Windows Vista:
\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\ScummVM\scummvm.ini

Windows 2000/XP:
\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\ScummVM\scummvm.ini

Windows NT4:
<windir>\Profiles\username\Application Data\ScummVM\scummvm.ini

Windows 95/98/ME:
<windir>\scummvm.ini
derboo

Post by derboo »

Hmm, i use WinXP, there is a ScummVM subfolder in Application Data, but it's empty.

Edit: For some reason it's in the windir.

Here are the entries:

[gob2-us]
description=Gobliins 2 (DOS/English (US))
path=C:\Games\ScummVM\games\gob2\
platform=pc
gameid=gob
language=us

[gob1cd-us]
description=Gobliiins CD (v1.02/DOS/English (US))
path=C:\Games\ScummVM\games\gob1\
platform=pc
gameid=gob
language=us
timofonic

Post by timofonic »

It seems like there are a duplicated gameid entry. If I'm correct, fix it and see if still fails :)

Gobliiins = gob1
Gobliins 2 = gob2

( from http://www.scummvm.org/compatibility.php )
derboo

Post by derboo »

In the scummVM interface, they go by the ids in the brackets [], if i change it directly in the scummvm.ini, scummVM automaticly changes them back when I start it. I guess it gameid= means the engine name?
Kirben

Post by Kirben »

derboo wrote:Hmm, i use WinXP, there is a ScummVM subfolder in Application Data, but it's empty.

Edit: For some reason it's in the windir.
That was the default location in earlier versions of ScummVM.
The Madventurer wrote:It seems like there are a duplicated gameid entrey. Fix it and see if still fails :)

Gobliiins = gob1
Gobliins 2 = gob2
Actually 'gob' is used as the gameid for all GOB engines games now.