Obscure Dreamer's Guild titles

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

crakkie

Obscure Dreamer's Guild titles

Post by crakkie »

I'm curious about a couple of unreleased Dreamer's Guild titles that apparently went down with the ship. Does anyone have any info on what they were about, the plots or settings, how far along they were when canceled, or who owns the assets now? I'm NOT asking if they're going to be supported, since I know there's an icecube's chance in hell. I haven't found much of anything with Google or wikipedia.

The titles:

Nick of Time - was supposedly almost finished, but they put all their efforts into making Fairytale Adv II playable/completeable and had to let this die.

Skulls, Bones & Buccaneers - I have almost no info on this one. It was supposed to be an online multiplayer game (about pirates, I imagine), like Ultima Online perhaps?

Pandemonium Golf - I came across this one on a couple of ex-employee's resumes. I realize it's probably not a point and click adventure, but I can't help but wonder.

Planet NET - This wasn't a DG game, but it was a project of Robert McNally, a Dreamers Guild founder, right after he left DG. From his description it was either a graphical or text-based MOO with "user-created worlds".

edit: one more
Joe’s Apartment - on Nate Simpson's resume, and nowhere else.

And hi everyone! My first post here.
PsYcO
Got 2 warnings

Re: Obscure Dreamer's Guild titles

Post by PsYcO »

crakkie wrote:Joe’s Apartment - on Nate Simpson's resume, and nowhere else.
maybe he has a friend called joe and he helped decorate his house/room/flat?
crakkie

Post by crakkie »

Alrighty, it's listed on Nate Simpson's resume as a game he worked on while at the Dreamers Guild. I did not see it anywhere else, in any other ex-employees resumes or in any list of DG's canceled games.

I imagine it was an adventure game tie-in to the awful "Joe's Apartment" movie that was canned when they realized the movie was a financial failure (movie came out in 96, so the time frame is right).
PsYcO
Got 2 warnings

Post by PsYcO »

fyi, it was a joke, sorry to inconvenience you. :(
hughferriss

Post by hughferriss »

Hi, I'm Nate Simpson (Google Alerts has given me the ability to magically appear wherever my name is mentioned, just like Beetlejuice). I'm surprised that there is archaeological evidence that any of these games ever existed! I'll toss in what I remember of the titles you listed (but it's been more than a decade, so...).

Joe's Apartment was indeed based on the then-filming movie of the same name. Probably about six months went into it before the publisher (whose name escapes me) pulled the plug. All I remember about the project was hand-animating hundreds and hundreds of cockroaches. Oh man.

Nick of Time was a story-based adventure presented similarly to "I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream" -- 2d sprites over richly-detailed 2D backgrounds. The protagonist was a boy named Nick, and he traveled through time. I can't remember what he saw or who he ran into -- maybe ancient Egyptians? I remember animating a bunch of walk cycles, but I can't remember much else. I think this project was more than half done when it was terminated due to some sort of disagreement with the publisher.

Skulls, Bones & Buccaneers -- I didn't work on this one, but I definitely remember that there was a hard-core contingent of pirate-o-philes within the art team (led by Brad Schenck, the piratey-est of them all), and they championed this title. If I remember right, it was sort of an isometric view with a pirate ship at the center, and you just marauded around and shot at stuff. I think the ships were all rendered as 3D objects from several angles and then converted to 2D sprites. I think this game got to a playable stage -- I'm not sure why it wasn't released.

Pandemonium Golf was going to be a fully-3D golf simulator, in which you played through crowded cityscapes. I remember doing storyboards for this one, and I think it got as far as a tech demo. The idea was you'd bank shots off of police cars, bystanders, taxis... you know, causing pandemonium. There was one level in Times Square and one on Venice Beach -- I remember having to draw lots of muscle men for that one. I don't think this title got very far past the pitch stage.

Planet NET -- not sure about this one. I think it was supposed to be a first-person virtual reality game -- sort of a cyber-punk Matrix-y thing. Pretty groundbreaking for the time.

As for who owns the assets now... I have no idea. I know Wyrmkeep (run by Joe Pearce, one of the head honchos at the Guild) has been resurrecting some DG properties, so they might have the rights. I would be genuinely surprised if any physical evidence of those titles were preserved at all.

Anyway, I hope this was useful information. Keep digging!

-Nate
crakkie

Post by crakkie »

Wow, that's more info than I could have hoped for. It doesn't sound like any of the titles, even Nick of Time, were on the verge of completion, so they could never really be finished and released. Do you know if the pirate game was an online multiplayer game (a couple of sources implied this)? Also, do you remember the publisher for Nick? And one more: was Planet NET actually a DG game, or something Robert McNally worked on after he left?

And thank you so much for the information. I love lost artworks.
PsYcO
Got 2 warnings

Post by PsYcO »

hughferriss wrote:Hi, I'm Nate Simpson (Google Alerts has given me the ability to magically appear wherever my name is mentioned, just like Beetlejuice).
thats worrying on so many levels...
Pa9an

Post by Pa9an »

Here's a nice page about The Dreamer's Guild, even having "Nick of Time" and "Pandemonium Golf" listed as "to be released later in the year"...

http://www.inherittheearth.net/dgi/
PsYcO
Got 2 warnings

Post by PsYcO »

Pa9an wrote:Here's a nice page about The Dreamer's Guild, even having "Nick of Time" and "Pandemonium Golf" listed as "to be released later in the year"...

http://www.inherittheearth.net/dgi/
i have a feeling that its been 10 years since they updated there page...
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

"Last Updated: April 1, 1997"
Pa9an

Post by Pa9an »

PsYcO wrote:http://www.inherittheearth.net/dgi/

i have a feeling that its been 10 years since they updated there page...
Yeah...and that's why those infos/games are still on it, although long since cancelled... :)
crakkie

Post by crakkie »

md5 wrote:"Last Updated: April 1, 1997"
That's so sad. Like it's frozen at them moment of its death.

Most of the online titles look like they didn't get past brainstorms, as most just say "Status: available for publication".
I guess this page describes these projects most succinctly: http://www.inherittheearth.net/dgi/lost.htm
pcGTW_Webmaster

Post by pcGTW_Webmaster »

That's actually just a mirror set up by Wyrmkeep Entertainment. Would be a bit ridiculous if their old website would be still online, wouldn't it? :D