Pre-0.10.0 Testing Season Announced

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

danielg: Yes, I've seen your -devel e-mails. I just haven't had chance to put them on the wiki yet :)
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

Also (to all):

We neglected to mention that games should only be tested once, unless marked with a '#' on the wiki page. If you have tested a game that has already been tested and does not have a '#', it is still ok :) But, it would be better if you would test games not yet tested or need to be retested.
danielg

Post by danielg »

I'm sorry it seems like I was pushing, clone2727. I was not sure if my messages reached the list.
As for testing a game that was already tested: My son was playing Putt Putt saves the Zoo with me and he completed it, so I thought, why not post it.
It is not my intension to check your work.

I have been testing Freddi Fish' Maze Madness, but I got extremely borred at level 18. I don't like that kind of puzzle/arcade games. I keep losing my lives way to fast.
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

danielg wrote:I'm sorry it seems like I was pushing, clone2727. I was not sure if my messages reached the list.
Nah :D

danielg wrote:As for testing a game that was already tested: My son was playing Putt Putt saves the Zoo with me and he completed it, so I thought, why not post it.
It is not my intension to check your work.
clone2727 wrote:it is still ok
But, that was not aimed at you. It was me just mentioning because we never really got the news out about the change (if you didn't read the main Release Testing page)
iPwnzorz

Post by iPwnzorz »

clone2727 wrote:Also (to all):

We neglected to mention that games should only be tested once, unless marked with a '#' on the wiki page. If you have tested a game that has already been tested and does not have a '#', it is still ok :) But, it would be better if you would test games not yet tested or need to be retested.
Maybe so, but I've heard of cases when one thing ruins another... And I spotted problems in BASS that weren't seen Pre-Testing season... Mostly graphic though.
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

iPwnzorz wrote:Maybe so, but I've heard of cases when one thing ruins another... And I spotted problems in BASS that weren't seen Pre-Testing season... Mostly graphic though.
Can you be a little bit more specific?
iPwnzorz

Post by iPwnzorz »

Not really, I can hardly explain it as it is.

The glitch I found was very small, but I don't remember seeing it in 0.9.1, "EXIT" is further away from the cursor icon on most screens.

I suck at descriptions, honestly.
bobablob

Post by bobablob »

Day of the Tentacle/ English, Dos-Talkie/CD: Completed, Mac OSX 0.10.0svn
JDAdams

Post by JDAdams »

Completed Simon 1 & 2, English Windows CD, Win32 0.10.0SVN. What the heck has happened to Lure support? Today's build won't detect it.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

JDAdams wrote:What the heck has happened to Lure support? Today's build won't detect it.
I would assume it's disabled because the engine's unfinished.
JDAdams

Post by JDAdams »

eriktorbjorn wrote:
JDAdams wrote:What the heck has happened to Lure support? Today's build won't detect it.
I would assume it's disabled because the engine's unfinished.
I thought that, but surely the latest SVN build should be fully-featured and the 0.10 pre-release with WIP engines removed should be branched off? As it stands no binaries which will play Lure are downloadable, I had to copy a May build from my laptop.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

JDAdams wrote: I thought that, but surely the latest SVN build should be fully-featured and the 0.10 pre-release with WIP engines removed should be branched off? As it stands no binaries which will play Lure are downloadable, I had to copy a May build from my laptop.
I haven't tried the SVN builds, but I think last time we were preparing for a release, the SVN builds were based on the branch so that people could help us with the release testing. I wouldn't be surprised if that's the case this time, too.
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

eriktorbjorn wrote: I haven't tried the SVN builds, but I think last time we were preparing for a release, the SVN builds were based on the branch so that people could help us with the release testing. I wouldn't be surprised if that's the case this time, too.
Indeed, and it's much better to concentrate on testing. That could be considered as a good reward to the ScummVM Team (besides PayPal and game donations). For instance, I had to postpone this release for 3 days because Simon2 and Feeble Files were not tested which is considered as release critical.

Eugene
bramvandijk

Post by bramvandijk »

Tested Future wars. It is completable, but I had a few random crashes, as described here.

On the bright side, the masking problems are over, which makes the game a lot better playable :D

I used the version of June 10th in Linux.
Future wars was the English Dos version.
JDAdams

Post by JDAdams »

sev wrote:
eriktorbjorn wrote: I haven't tried the SVN builds, but I think last time we were preparing for a release, the SVN builds were based on the branch so that people could help us with the release testing. I wouldn't be surprised if that's the case this time, too.
Indeed, and it's much better to concentrate on testing. That could be considered as a good reward to the ScummVM Team (besides PayPal and game donations). For instance, I had to postpone this release for 3 days because Simon2 and Feeble Files were not tested which is considered as release critical.

Eugene
Fair enough then - thanks for the info. Consider Simon 1 & 2 tested as per above - I did get frequent instances in both games where I got graphical glitches (specifically one "version" of Simon remaining still in cutscenes while an animated one moved on top of the sprite) but having not played using the original exes and given the frequency of the problem I thought it must be endemic, especially since I even saw the same thing in Simon 3D while is obviously completely different in terms of coding.