monkey island load/save menu

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

homerjs

monkey island load/save menu

Post by homerjs »

Hiho
i am just wondering why in some games the original menues are used (broken sword, beneath a steal sky), and in others the scumm menu(monkey island)
why not using the original menues in all games? would be cooler :)
Greetz
Arantor

Post by Arantor »

Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong but here's my understanding of it all...

With Broken Sword and Steel Sky, the menu is actually part of the game data itself (I haven't engineered it though, so I'm just taking a semi-educated guess there) but with the SCUMM games, what little there was of a menu (basically a save/load interface) was as far as I can tell built into the executable, not the scripts and game-specific data.

Consequently since there is no script in the game to handle save/load etc, ScummVM must do it itself, but with Sword and Sky it is part of the game data and is handled as such.
corpse

Post by corpse »

Also I think the fact that the scumm games were reversed engineered should also be taken into consideration. Where as the Revolution games and some other source codes were provided. What I mean is why bother wasting time copying the save game menu when the scummvm one works just as well. Getting the games to work have always been the priority.
clem

Post by clem »

If you download a really really old version of ScummVM you'll probably see a GUI in games like Monkey Island that looks quite similar to the original interpreter's menu (back when the launcher also only was in 320x200 resolution)

so using the "nicer" menus has actually been seen as the better solution over time
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

In the current SVN, with some of the games (MM, Zak, Indy3, COMI), you can access the original dialog with alt+f5
TomFrost

Post by TomFrost »

And don't forget about Scumm's biggest benefit: the Quicksave and Quickload! Alt + any number 0-9 to save a game to that slot, Ctrl + the same number to load from that slot. You don't have to deal with the menu or typing a save name or any of that, and it's super fast! :)
spookypeanut
ScummVM Developer

Post by spookypeanut »

clone2727 wrote:In the current SVN, with some of the games (MM, Zak, Indy3, COMI), you can access the original dialog with alt+f5
This doesn't work for me on any of my scumm games (including comi, mmv1). Is it working for everyone else? I'm running on ubuntu linux, btw.
TomFrost

Post by TomFrost »

Did you build it yourself from the subversion tree, Spooky? I'm pretty sure that's the only way you can access that feature right now.
spookypeanut
ScummVM Developer

Post by spookypeanut »

Yup, updated this morning so it should be recent enough :wink:
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

Works fine for me in CoMI, using Subversion revision 26555 (I haven't yet "svn up"ed today :-)
spookypeanut
ScummVM Developer

Post by spookypeanut »

Very strange in that case... it is noticing the pressing of the alt key, I get

Code: Select all

(9:55:0x1C): DEBUG: key :462 hit
(9:55:0x432): DEBUG: Key pressed: 462
but nothing happens when i hit f5. Ah well, I'm not too bothered :)
spookypeanut
ScummVM Developer

Post by spookypeanut »

Got it! After a bit of fiddling, it works when I press Alt-Shift-F5. Slightly peculiar, but there you go.
homerjs

Post by homerjs »

clone2727 wrote:In the current SVN, with some of the games (MM, Zak, Indy3, COMI), you can access the original dialog with alt+f5
thats nice :)
accessing the original menu with f5 and the scummvm menu for advanced functions with alt+f5 would be nicer... the games should be as much original as possible (in my opinion ;))
just details... but details are also important =)
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

The ScummVM menu and save/load screens are much better than the original ones imho, so it's better if the shortcuts stay as they are
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

md5 wrote:The ScummVM menu and save/load screens are much better than the original ones imho, so it's better if the shortcuts stay as they are
Particularly since ScummVM's save/load screen actually works. It looks like loading works from at least some of the original save/load screens, but saving didn't work for me.

Even if they did work, I wouldn't want to have only 10-15 savegame slots available. (Extending that would be extremely non-trivial when the save/load dialog is a part of the game scripts rather than the game engine.)