Arnold from Fate of Atlantis/scripting fights from SCUMMVM

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

WaltCip

Arnold from Fate of Atlantis/scripting fights from SCUMMVM

Post by WaltCip »

Hey, newbie here.

Seems like I've had way too much time on my hands recently. Why?

http://img130.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... ogy6ak.gif

I do believe, though I'm not sure, that I'm the only Fate of Atlantis player to publicly announce defeating Arnold (and I've actually developed a strategy, too. I'm not fluking it). The only other character I haven't defeated in this game yet is Fritz, the guard at the end of the game who you need to crush with the statue. His punches are humanly impossible to block without a bot, and if you so much as attempt to attack him, he takes no damage whatsoever. Which brings me to my question.

Obviously ScummVM has the ability to debug. Have there been any attempts yet to delve deep into the code of Fate of Atlantis and modify the fight scripts?
Herrscher

Post by Herrscher »

Hey man, don't be that aggressive! It's an adventure, not DooM.... :wink: 8)

But interesting question... are there any "impossibilities"?! I don't know either...
exofreeze
Banned

Post by exofreeze »

hahaha, thats awesome!

go indy!
WaltCip

Post by WaltCip »

Herrscher wrote:Hey man, don't be that aggressive! It's an adventure, not DooM.... :wink: 8)
Heh, sorry. I just had to prove all those rumors and walkthroughs wrong. :wink: The ONLY impossible puzzle left in the game so far is Fritz (not Franz). The programmers did design some line of coding for if the player got lucky enough to punch out the dude. Examples from the script:

"Way to go, Indy!"
"Look, he has an orichalcum bead."
"Hey, he has two orichalcum beads!"

TECHNICALLY, he is beatable. REALISTICALLY, he is not. However, we all said the same thing about Arnold. I'm sure there's somebody out there who's fast enough with the mouse to beat him to a pulp.

Hans (the fast guard at the beginning of the labyrinth) isn't impossible once you figure out his technique, and Anton is a piece of cake.
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

Hehe pretty amazing. Now I am scared that people might request we add support for Doom after all... :-).

As for the fight scripts: I don't think anybody tried to meddle with them yet. I do know that I never really looked at any of them. But it should be possible to analyze them with the help of descumm. But my guess is that it won't be fun, even if descumm was a bit better at detecting loops etc. properly...
Herrscher

Post by Herrscher »

WaltCip wrote:TECHNICALLY, he is beatable. REALISTICALLY, he is not. However, we all said the same thing about Arnold. I'm sure there's somebody out there who's fast enough with the mouse to beat him to a pulp.
Hmm... I would try to contact this guy... hahaha :lol:

fingolfin wrote:Hehe pretty amazing. Now I am scared that people might request we add support for Doom after all... :-).
I don't see a need for it. If anything has more compatible platforms to run it on than ScummVM, it will be DooM. :twisted:
Adventureguy

Post by Adventureguy »

Wow! :shock:
Respect, WaltCip, respect. That's really impressing.
Most players just do the simply method by crushing him with the boulder, but that's really awesome what you have done.
Herrscher wrote:Hmm... I would try to contact this guy... hahaha Laughing
That's also incredible. :shock:
SimSaw

Post by SimSaw »

First I was a bit sceptical if it would have been faked, but since you defeated only Arnold and admit that you haven't defeated Franz yet, I guess it's true.

I also managed to defeat Arnold - even Franz - but it was with cheating. I modified files, to be more exact: replaced some by others. And the the sentences described for Franz's death really occur.

Could you tell your strategy how you defeated him or make a video? You could either try to film it with DOSBOX (but then you will need to make a savegame until to the necessary situation, but it would be easier) or you can use Camstudio.
WaltCip

Post by WaltCip »

It's here. Go right ahead and check it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MH2BE2OZyk
Herrscher

Post by Herrscher »

WaltCip wrote:It's here. Go right ahead and check it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MH2BE2OZyk

Cool. Didn't think that it could work that fast, though.
Tinhead Ned

Post by Tinhead Ned »

A Doom port within ScummVM would be hilarious, if a tad out of character.

Imagine though...ScummVM begins as an adventure game interpreter replacement...but eventually ends up absorbing every other emulator / source port / reverse engineering job out there, and becomes it's own operating system or something.
clem

Post by clem »

Tinhead Ned wrote:A Doom port within ScummVM would be hilarious, if a tad out of character.

Imagine though...ScummVM begins as an adventure game interpreter replacement...but eventually ends up absorbing every other emulator / source port / reverse engineering job out there, and becomes it's own operating system or something.
ScummVM VS MAME - who would win? :)
(if I wasn't anti-polling I'd make a poll about that one)
WNivek

Post by WNivek »

Tinhead Ned wrote:A Doom port within ScummVM would be hilarious, if a tad out of character.

Cabal is coming... :P
WaltCip

Post by WaltCip »

SimSaw wrote: I also managed to defeat Arnold - even Franz - but it was with cheating. I modified files, to be more exact: replaced some by others. And the the sentences described for Franz's death really occur.
Could you send me those modified files? Better yet, how did you make them?
gast1999

Post by gast1999 »

hi

i have killed arnold without cheating its very very difficult
but its possible the only man i cant kill is sophias watcher he is much to strong but i think there is an way to kill him but today i dont know how

at an german site i have postet the killes mans pictures
i know its not easy i have need 200times to win about arnold ;) it must be very good timed all things and any mistake is the lose of fight