Game Dev for ScummVM

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

korDen

Game Dev for ScummVM

Post by korDen »

I know it a bit complicated trick but may be you guys could develop some sort of SDK for community to create old-styled games for ScummVM ourselves? I know there are lots of Lucas Arts' (and others') game fans and some of them are dreaming of continuations for games they are fond of so why not to give them an opportunity? Look at www.dott2.de - Day of the Tentacle 2!

What do you think? Is it possible?
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

Use WinAGI. The games run with daily builds of ScummVM.

Eugene
clem

Post by clem »

there's also still an entry (1.7) in the FAQ: http://www.scummvm.org/faq.php#AEN51
Reko

Post by Reko »

This has come up before, and I think it's a nice idea. I think one of the biggest reasons I'd want to create a game to run on ScummVM is its sheer portability. The number of devices it's been ported to is incredible.

Combine that with the fact that the ScummVM developers seem very open to incorporating new game engines. I think the best idea would be for somebody, or some group of people, to work on designing a specification (virtual machine, file formats, etc.) for a new game engine. A toolkit to assemble games using this engine could then be developed, and on the players end they could play those games on any of the numerous platforms ScummVM can run on.
TribeHasSpoken

Re: Game Dev for ScummVM

Post by TribeHasSpoken »

korDen wrote:I know it a bit complicated trick but may be you guys could develop some sort of SDK for community to create old-styled games for ScummVM ourselves? I know there are lots of Lucas Arts' (and others') game fans and some of them are dreaming of continuations for games they are fond of so why not to give them an opportunity? Look at www.dott2.de - Day of the Tentacle 2!

What do you think? Is it possible?
I'd be worried that any games created that were in violation of copyright could result legal trouble for the makers of SCUMMVM themselves.