Unique Mac versions?

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

ssdsa wrote:How did you compare the sound quality? Playing both data sets in ScummVM? Or using the old and the PPC interpreter on a Mac?
I used ScummVM
ascummyguy

Post by ascummyguy »

Yeah, I just replicated the experiment and he's right. The single file does have better sound (I've been using the wrong file for years :oops:).

In fact, if you separate the individual file and add its folder to ScummVM, it states it's the Macintosh version. Whereas if you add the other files, it recognizes them as PC DOS.

At any rate, if you want to compare, this is just the intro tune. It might not be readily apparent (except the PPC Mac version is distinctly louder), but listen to it a few times and I think you'll hear the differences.

DOS MP3:
http://www.mediafire.com/?1qy0mu1ljyz

Mac PPC MP3:
http://www.mediafire.com/?6dynjjymmno
joachimeberhard
ScummVM Team Member

Post by joachimeberhard »

There are 2 Versions on the CD:

1 Mac Bundle Version ("Fate of Atlantis Data"), which is when extracted identical to the PC CD Version in Datafiles and Music.

1 Old Mac Version in individual Files (ATLANTIS.000 etc), which is the more interesting version, because it has the typical Macintosh Music of the Old Macs.

Graphics are the same as the PC version in both versions, at least to me.
ScummMan

Post by ScummMan »

First of all, thanks for the great insight into Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis MAC. I had no idea that there were two versions. In the spirit of the original poster, I too am wondering if a MAC SCUMM game is different than its PC cousin. The game in question being Sam & Max Hit the Road.
joachimeberhard
ScummVM Team Member

Post by joachimeberhard »

ScummMan wrote:First of all, thanks for the great insight into Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis MAC. I had no idea that there were two versions. In the spirit of the original poster, I too am wondering if a MAC SCUMM game is different than its PC cousin. The game in question being Sam & Max Hit the Road.
So to make it absolutely clear:

No, there are absolutely no differences with ScummVM between any Mac or PC version of the following games:

TENTACLE, SAMNMAX, DIG, FULL THROTTLE, ATLANTIS "BUNDLE VERSION" and possibly others that were updated for the PowerMac.
plop

Post by plop »

Just for reference, my Atlantis Mac is different from the one posted, it contains ONLY the 'Old Mac' version. Here is the filelist as seen in HFV Explorer:

___Move&Rename
Appleshare PDS
ATLANTIS.000
ATLANTIS.001
Desktop
Desktop DB
Desktop DF
Fate of Atlantis
iMuse Setups
MONSTER.SOU

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this discussion, it has been very helpful to me.

Finally, would anyone be able to compare the data files of Maniac Mansion Mac (from DOTT), to see if they are identical to any of the PC versions? Thanks.
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

plop wrote:Just for reference, my Atlantis Mac is different from the one posted, it contains ONLY the 'Old Mac' version. Here is the filelist as seen in HFV Explorer:

___Move&Rename
Appleshare PDS
ATLANTIS.000
ATLANTIS.001
Desktop
Desktop DB
Desktop DF
Fate of Atlantis
iMuse Setups
MONSTER.SOU
You probably have the floppy version.
plop wrote:Finally, would anyone be able to compare the data files of Maniac Mansion Mac (from DOTT), to see if they are identical to any of the PC versions? Thanks.
I believe it is very similar. In fact, it's recognized as the DOS version.
filipetolhuizen

Post by filipetolhuizen »

ScummVM play's the game with the original style menus.
And also makes the Grayl Diary words not to appear. So when you find the corresponding window at the library you have to guess the correct colunm to read and right slab to break. Tricky :?
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

filipetolhuizen wrote:And also makes the Grayl Diary words not to appear. So when you find the corresponding window at the library you have to guess the correct colunm to read and right slab to break. Tricky :?
Yes, there's already a bug report on it.