Unique Mac versions?

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

plop
Posts: 15
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:33 am

Unique Mac versions?

Post by plop » Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:50 pm

Hello, my goal is to track down every unique version of all the SCUMM games. I recently spent $24 on The Dig (Mac), but after I extracted it, I found out that data files are IDENTICAL to the PC ones! Can anyone tell me what other Mac versions are IDENTICAL to the PC versions? Specifically I want to know about:
Full Throttle
Sam & Max
DOTT (what about the included Maniac Mansion, is it unique?)

Thank you for your help!

clem
Posts: 2185
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2005 11:14 am

Re: Unique Mac versions?

Post by clem » Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:10 pm

plop wrote:Can anyone tell me what other Mac versions are IDENTICAL to the PC versions?
as far as I know they're all identical to their PC counterparts (datafiles are the same, just interpreter is different)

there was a discussion on here once about better gfx in the Mac versions, but that turned out to be simply because of some graphics scaler

clem

User avatar
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer
Posts: 3316
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2005 7:39 am

Re: Unique Mac versions?

Post by eriktorbjorn » Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:47 pm

clem wrote: as far as I know they're all identical to their PC counterparts (datafiles are the same, just interpreter is different)
Judging by some comments in the source code, the Macintosh versions of Monkey Island 1 and Loom has different sound than the PC versions. The Macintosh version of Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade certainly looks different than the PC version, but I don't know if that's a difference in the data files or just in the interpreter.
plop wrote:DOTT (what about the included Maniac Mansion, is it unique?)
Perhaps it doesn't answer your question, but Aaron Giles writes a little about porting Day of the Tentacle to the Mac on his web page. It sounds to me as if it's unique in the sense that it's the only Macintosh version of Maniac Mansion, but the data files are presumably identical.

User avatar
glokidd
Posts: 364
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2005 6:50 am
Location: british columbia, canada
Contact:

Re: Unique Mac versions?

Post by glokidd » Mon Jan 22, 2007 6:27 pm

eriktorbjorn wrote:The Macintosh version of Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade certainly looks different than the PC version, but I don't know if that's a difference in the data files or just in the interpreter.
I wish i could get my Indy 3 Mac to look like that... Its pretty different :) i think im going to have to hunt down and old mac for that one. ScummVM play's the game with the original style menus.

ascummyguy
Posts: 20
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2006 3:03 am

Post by ascummyguy » Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:58 am

Let's use Fate of Atlantis as an example. The Mac talkie version was released right at the time Apple was switching to PowerPC processors, so they released the CD with two interpreters. The Power PC interpreter, and the 68k interpreter. There are no graphical updates to the files themselves - but the Power PC interpreter had the 'Graphics Smoothing' option which was just a scaler (though it was really nice back in the day).

However, there are unique sound files to the Power PC version (I'm at least certain of this in Fate of Atlantis, I'll look for my old CD's of Sam & Max and DotT and compare file sizes if I find them). There's an instruments file on the Mac Fate of Atlantis CD which I would assume provides midi instrument data to replace the standard sound.

I'd consider buying and shipping a copy of Fate of Atlantis for Mac if there was somebody on the ScummVM team that was interested in looking at the files. I don't know that there's any need though. I can't say what the additional files contain exactly, how much better they really sound (if at all), or if it would be worth adding support for them. But as I said, if somebody on the ScummVM team cares and wants a CD, send me a PM and I'll scout ebay.

User avatar
ssdsa
Posts: 42
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2005 10:19 pm
Location: Cologne, Germany

Post by ssdsa » Sat Jan 27, 2007 1:07 am

As far as I know, Indy4 (Mac US-Talkie CD) is already supported by ScummVM.

That CD contains two different versions of Indy4: One comes in a single data file called "Fate of Atlantis Data" (161796385 Bytes), while the other one comes in several files: "ATLANTIS.000" (11885 Bytes), "ATLANTIS.001" (8782535 Bytes) and "MONSTER.SOU" (149867609 Bytes). I don't know if there are any visible (or audible) differences between the two versions, though.

I've got a couple of those original CDs here, so if somebody from the ScummVM dev team wants one of those, just PM me and I'll send one.

User avatar
glokidd
Posts: 364
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2005 6:50 am
Location: british columbia, canada
Contact:

Post by glokidd » Sat Jan 27, 2007 1:10 am

ssdsa wrote: *snipped*
I've got a couple of those original CDs here, so if somebody from the ScummVM dev team wants one of those, just PM me and I'll send one.
Me too :D Darn those mislisted ebay items :wink:

User avatar
clone2727
Retired
Posts: 1592
Joined: Fri Jun 09, 2006 8:23 pm
Location: NJ, USA

Post by clone2727 » Sat Jan 27, 2007 9:52 pm

ssdsa wrote:That CD contains two different versions of Indy4: One comes in a single data file called "Fate of Atlantis Data" (161796385 Bytes), while the other one comes in several files: "ATLANTIS.000" (11885 Bytes), "ATLANTIS.001" (8782535 Bytes) and "MONSTER.SOU" (149867609 Bytes). I don't know if there are any visible (or audible) differences between the two versions, though.
Hmmm... I don't remember there being two versions on the disc. There were two executables, though.

ascummyguy
Posts: 20
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2006 3:03 am

Post by ascummyguy » Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:14 pm

clone2727 wrote:Hmmm... I don't remember there being two versions on the disc. There were two executables, though.
Exactly. A PPC executable interpreter and a 68k executable interpreter.

User avatar
ssdsa
Posts: 42
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2005 10:19 pm
Location: Cologne, Germany

Post by ssdsa » Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:32 pm

OK, the Indy4 Mac CD I've got looks like this:
Image

And here's what HFVExplorer looks like when displaying the contents of this CD:
Image

So, there are two different executables ("Fate of Atlantis" vs. "Fate of Atlantis PowerPC")
and two different sets of data files ("Fate of Atlantis Data" vs. "ATLANTIS.000", "ATLANTIS.001", "MONSTER.SOU").

User avatar
glokidd
Posts: 364
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2005 6:50 am
Location: british columbia, canada
Contact:

Post by glokidd » Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:44 pm

This is disc I have as well. It has all the same contents when viewed with HFVexplorer. I haven't had the opperunity to see what it actually looks like on a mac though...

User avatar
clone2727
Retired
Posts: 1592
Joined: Fri Jun 09, 2006 8:23 pm
Location: NJ, USA

Post by clone2727 » Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:14 am

I'm not home right now, and will check it later. My memory is a bit foggy at the moment.

Also, I have only looked at it via my mac.

ascummyguy
Posts: 20
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2006 3:03 am

Post by ascummyguy » Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:53 am

Yeah, I've truthfully not looked at the Mac CD in a long time since ripping it. I'll put it in my iMac tomorrow, and check it out.

User avatar
clone2727
Retired
Posts: 1592
Joined: Fri Jun 09, 2006 8:23 pm
Location: NJ, USA

Post by clone2727 » Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:19 am

Hmmm... Maybe the .000/.001 files are for the old interpreter and the Data file for the PPC interpreter?

EDIT: The sound has lesser quality and sounds different in the .000/.001 files separate than the "Fate of Atlantis Data" file. So, there appears to be a difference. So, maybe my theory is correct?

User avatar
ssdsa
Posts: 42
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2005 10:19 pm
Location: Cologne, Germany

Post by ssdsa » Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:37 am

clone2727 wrote:Hmmm... Maybe the .000/.001 files are for the old interpreter and the Data file for the PPC interpreter?
Judging from the file dates shown in my screenshot of HFVExplorer, I'd say you guessed right. :)
The .000/.001 files and the old interpreter were created in 1994 while the Data file and the PPC interpreter are from 1996.
clone2727 wrote:EDIT: The sound has lesser quality and sounds different in the .000/.001 files separate than the "Fate of Atlantis Data" file.
How did you compare the sound quality? Playing both data sets in ScummVM? Or using the old and the PPC interpreter on a Mac?

Post Reply