LucasArts Classics Re-releases

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

glitterandpaste

Post by glitterandpaste »

I've only just discovered SCUMMVM which is very exciting for me as someone who was obsessed with LucusArts and Sierra adventure games in my teenage and pre-teenage years.

I have searched this forum but can't find any mention of the LucasArts re-releases of Sam & Max, Day of the Tentacle, Curse of Monkey Island, etc which according to my local store here in New Zealand are coming out Feb 2nd: http://www.gpstore.co.nz/Games/1457601.html

Some are listed on the LucasArts site, though there doesn't seem to be any mention of these on Amazon.com, although Amazon.co.uk appears to sell some (though strangely they list Activision as the publisher), and some are to be released in March: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lucas-Classic-L ... B00005Q6XJ

Does anyone know anything about these re-releases? They are PC only, but I am presuming they haven't been modified so I will be able to run them on my mac with SCUMMVM...
kelmer

Post by kelmer »

Some of them were released by Activision in Spain a year ago. It's just the same games with a different interpreter, the same found in the well known Windows versions of Full Throttle and The Dig.

The games re-released were Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, The Dig, Full Throttle, Grim Fandango and Curse of Monkey Island.
wizzel

Post by wizzel »

Yes, and many more (non-adventure) titles in the series are available from Amazon.com:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_ss_vg_ ... .y=0&Go=Go

They seem to use Win32-code to be executed on todays modern hardware.
cappuchok

Post by cappuchok »

The "Entertainment Pack" released by Activision throughout Europe consisted of Full Throttle, Sam & Max, both with the Scumm 2.0 interpreter by Aaron Giles (LucasArts' Mac guru, MAME developer, now at Microsoft's Virtual PC team), Grim Fandango (which already had a Win32 binary) and The Dig.

"The Dig" in this pack did not have the same interpreter as Full Throttle - the "Dig" interpreter was an older Win32 interpreter which lacked proper aspect ratio scaling - the game was scaled from 320x200 to 640x400 instead of 640x480 like it should. Both Sam & Max and Full Throttle had proper and smooth upscaling that respected the 4:3 aspect ratio - the same scaler is also used in the old LucasArts Mac releases.

Source: http://www.aarongiles.com/scumm/index.html
Firaga

Post by Firaga »

I've been hoping for a long while that LA would re-release all these old games in some form. I'm still relying on my old CD's I got in the Collectors Set. At least for FoA.

However, I did do something illegal because my copy of Sam and Max wouldn't work... :-\

But, I DID buy them, so I mean, it's still wrong, but not as wrong.

:-\
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

The funny thing is that I can't find those games in Lucasarts' game store. Even if you click on "classics" there's nothing there :( . Lucasarts maintain the rights on these games yet they don't even bother to sell them or provide info concerning them! :?

The only "classic" non-3d games that can be found on their site are:
Curse of Monkey Island
Full Throttle

There is no information about their other games, as if they never existed :( shame on Lucasarts
I can't find any information on:
Indy 3 (last crusade) and 4 (atlantis)
Monkey 1 and 2
Zak
Loom
Maniac Mansion
Sam'n'Max
DOTT

Shame :(
wizzel

Post by wizzel »

Yep, LucasArts is keeping distance to the games 'before' the aera of newer Star Wars games. They don't like being mentioned together with their 'early' adventure games. Shame on George Lucas himself, because he said that LucasArts now only concentrates on games that play within the Star Wars-Universe.

That became official right after they broke down Sam & Max in 3D. :(

Sadly their most successful games were adventures...

Maybe it's all a little too much Star Wars for one person to manage, so he simply fired the rest. :roll:
Adventureguy

Post by Adventureguy »

wizzel wrote:Yep, LucasArts is keeping distance to the games 'before' the aera of newer Star Wars games. They don't like being mentioned together with their 'early' adventure games.
But why? Those early adventure games are by far a thousand times better than that Star Wars crap they produce nowadays imho.

But that's OK! Which company needs fame for its bestseller games anyway when it can get infamous because of crappy SW-games needing lots of patches after release? :roll:

I don't understand it. The LucasArts which always made fabulous adventure games is dead. Long live the new only-Star-Wars-producing LucasArts. :roll: :|
(I hope it doesn't!)
Willow

Post by Willow »

I just recently discovered ScummVM and it was like realizing a dream. I played all the old lucasarts adventure games and I miss them a lot. They never produced anything better than those and I’m a Star Wars fan! Even when they switched to 3D for their 2 last adventure games, I had problem with them. I never quite enjoyed grim fandango and monkey 4. I preferred the old 2D look.

Anyway I always wanted to play the old games again and to my great surprise I found ScummVM. Great software! I’m quite surprised that I can now play the same games that I played on a big state of the art IBM PC, on a small Pocket PC! My first Lucasarts adventure game was Indy 3 and it was a great experience!

I didn’t know that Lucasarts has a Scumm engine for modern computers. Why don’t they re-release all their old games? And is it at least possible to obtain and use the official Lucasarts Scumm interpreter on their other Scumm games?
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Willow wrote:I didn’t know that Lucasarts has a Scumm engine for modern computers. Why don’t they re-release all their old games?
"The Dark Side has clouded their vision."
Willow wrote: And is it at least possible to obtain and use the official Lucasarts Scumm interpreter on their other Scumm games?
I don't think there's any way of getting LucasArts's updated interpreter other than buying those versions of the games. There are a couple of updates for Sam & Max and The Dig on the LucasArts web page, but nothing like that.

As far as I know, Sam & Max and Full Throttle were the only games that were updated recently, and I don't think you'd have any luck in tricking either of them into running any other games.
kelmer

Post by kelmer »

Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis also has the new interpreter in the Spanish re-release.
cappuchok

Post by cappuchok »

Also, these new Scumm 2.0 interpreters were only released in Europe (by Activision). Aaron Giles suggests on his website that all US residents wishing to see this engine released with games in the States contact LucasArts and tell them so.
TribeHasSpoken

Post by TribeHasSpoken »

Sam & Max, Full Throttle and The Dig were just rereleased in Australia for $9.95 Australian each. I have no idea if they come with ScummVM or DosBox.
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

TribeHasSpoken wrote:Sam & Max, Full Throttle and The Dig were just rereleased in Australia for $9.95 Australian each. I have no idea if they come with ScummVM or DosBox.
They come with their own interpreter, I believe, like the ones rereleased in the UK.
Firaga

Post by Firaga »

I think, LA should sell the games online, and let you download them after you pay with Credit Card and such. I know there is a company that does that.