Gobliins 2 Amiga Version with Sound?

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

carni

Gobliins 2 Amiga Version with Sound?

Post by carni »

As my question somewhat went down under in the sticky i thought i better open an extra thread.

I realised that the Dos Version of Gobliins 2 has a really crappy music compared to the amiga one.
My question now is, is the amiga sound completely supported?
dont know if it uses tfmx or mod, but i would love to play gobliins 2 with the atmosphere i loved :)

Couldnt find out by now, as i cant find my manual. The few times i managed to get in anyawy, there was no music :/
PsYcO
Got 2 warnings

Post by PsYcO »

Compatibility list wrote:Game is completable, with minor glitches
- Amiga, Atari, DOS and Macintosh versions are supported by this target
- Some missing and wrong sounds
- A few wrong instruments during music playback
i assume so... why didn't you just try it?
carni

Post by carni »

Couldnt find out by now, as i cant find my manual. The few times i managed to get in anyawy, there was no music :/
thats why :) i tried windows midi and adlib, but both times i had no music at all.
DrMcCoy
ScummVM Developer

Post by DrMcCoy »

I don't have the amiga version, so I don't really know.
But if it does use tracker modules, then no, the music (currently) won't work...
fac

Post by fac »

DrMcCoy wrote:I don't have the amiga version, so I don't really know.
The Amiga Gobliins 2 demo has the same problem. So, if don't have the amiga version, maybe you could look to the demo. I must say that the music i ear with winuae is very good.

DrMcCoy wrote: But if it does use tracker modules, then no, the music (currently) won't work...
I remember that music from the amiga Monkey Island version is not supported and it uses that format (and is not suported by ScummVM). What is the problem with tracker modules? There are several players, even for Linux. Maybe some of these player has the full source available.
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

DrMcCoy wrote:I don't have the amiga version, so I don't really know.
But if it does use tracker modules, then no, the music (currently) won't work...
I'd gladly provide you with all three parts of the Amiga versions...
Complete, boxed (only the first part has a custom box) and working.

I'd even throw in PC formatted disks which have the files from the
Amiga disks on it, if you are not able to read them yourself (the Amiga disks)

Just let me know if you are interested

This is meant to be free of charge for you, of course

(They are lying around here collecting dust, anyway)
DrMcCoy
ScummVM Developer

Post by DrMcCoy »

The amiga music should work now in the SVN repository (or next daily build). I'm not sure if I got the playing speed correctly, though, since UADE plays it way faster than the amiga emulator...
fac

Post by fac »

DrMcCoy wrote:The amiga music should work now in the SVN repository (or next daily build). I'm not sure if I got the playing speed correctly, though, since UADE plays it way faster than the amiga emulator...
The speed is different. I'm not sure which is the correct speed. Maybe someone with a Amiga could record the music to see if the speed (in ScummVM) is correct.

By the way, this bug is fixed in the last SVN version. Maybe it could be closed.
DrMcCoy
ScummVM Developer

Post by DrMcCoy »

fac wrote:By the way, this bug is fixed in the last SVN version. Maybe it could be closed.
Err, at least for me, that demo still runs completely amok, with areas not being redrawn correctly and the animation/walking speed way to high...
fac

Post by fac »

DrMcCoy wrote:
Err, at least for me, that demo still runs completely amok, with areas not being redrawn correctly and the animation/walking speed way to high...
My fault. That bug is in the PC demo, not the Amiga demo. And it's not fixed in the last SVN version.
Kaminari

Post by Kaminari »

Goblins was a French game, which means 50 Hz sync. But since it was published in the States by Sierra, chances are the sync was enforced in 60 Hz there (with the music sounding too fast). Some games would rely on the CIA timer to properly sync music whatever the display format, but most games just sync'ed themselves on the refresh rate.
Collector

Post by Collector »

That may be with the floppy version, but the music for the CD version on an audio CD track.
DrMcCoy
ScummVM Developer

Post by DrMcCoy »

Kaminari wrote:Goblins was a French game, which means 50 Hz sync. But since it was published in the States by Sierra, chances are the sync was enforced in 60 Hz there (with the music sounding too fast). Some games would rely on the CIA timer to properly sync music whatever the display format, but most games just sync'ed themselves on the refresh rate.
Hmm, both 50 and 60 Hz sound too slow (for me, at least). Currently, it does 80 Hz, which is approximately what the Amiga emulator does, too.
The DeliTracker/Eagleplayer/UADE replayer sets the CIA timer value to 0x1A00, which is, if I'm not mistaken, around 107 Hz. This however sounds a bit fast...
mld

Post by mld »

Hi folks,

Just wondering. Do you happen to mean this one:

:?: http://www.exotica.org.uk/tunes/unexoti ... iiins.html

or that one:

:?: http://www.exotica.org.uk/tunes/archive ... iins_2.txt

if you think it's a real bug in UADE, our Tracker replayer or Infogrames replayer feel free to come over to our forum and report.

I don't think I checked the Infogrames replayer against Gobliins, iirc, but from what I remember I had to tweak it to replay Captain Blood correctly, which had some serious timing issues. So, speed is quirked with that replay, anyway.

If you want to make sure, try to replay the music with a different replayer. YOur milage may vary though.

Alternate replayer from Exotica.
http://www.exotica.org.uk/players/amiga ... bHubbard_2

Code: Select all

uade123 -P RobHubbard_2 RH2.Gobliins20.dum
mld/uade team
DrMcCoy
ScummVM Developer

Post by DrMcCoy »

That one.
mld wrote:if you think it's a real bug in UADE, our Tracker replayer or Infogrames replayer feel free to come over to our forum and report.
Actually, I don't know. I only know that the Amiga version of Gobliins 2 in UAE plays them at a slower speed. When I REd the UADE replayer, I found that the timer value constant of 0x1A00 (~ 107 Hz) doesn't fit for them, it should be around 0x22A0 (~ 80 Hz), what the implementation in ScummVM now does.
Though that could be correct for only these specific files, it could be written somewhere in them, or it even could be a misbehaviour of UAE. *shrug*
mld wrote:Alternate replayer from Exotica.
http://www.exotica.org.uk/players/amiga ... bHubbard_2
Plays them at the same speed as the other replayer.

BTW, in case it's helpful to you or UADE, the reimplementation in ScummVM can be found in sound/mods/infogrames.h / sound/mods/infogrames.cpp, in a slightly cleaner state, purged of unneeded variables (from what I've gathered, at least) variables, etc..

EDIT: I've just checked, Gobliins 2 explicitely sets the CIA timer to 0x2400 (~ 77 Hz)