Favorite Maniac Mansion

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

What is your favorite version of Maniac Mansion?

Amiga
14%
Atari ST
5%
Commodore 64
9%
Macintosh
No votes
NES
No votes
PC Enhanced
45%
Japanese Famicom
5%
Other?
23%

Total votes: 22

rocky8311

Favorite Maniac Mansion

Post by rocky8311 »

Hey everyone-

I just wanted to put up a poll and a question!

The poll is for your favorite version of Maniac Mansion (apologies if I missed any)...

and the question is: what is your favorite thing about Maniac Mansion?
rocky8311

Post by rocky8311 »

I have a hard time answering my own Poll b/c I love the Enhanced version's graphics as well as the music (and the always-on What Is function) of the NES version.

The thrill of the chase is one of my favorite things about MM. Before I figured out everything about the game, when encounters with the Edison's seemed largely random still, I worried about getting caught! I would CLOSE DOORS behind me everywhere I went, and I would be concerned about making noise. I wish I didn't KNOW now that the Edisons don't leave their rooms much.

Creeping around the foyer with only the sound of the grandfather clock ticking at the beginning of a new game of MM will forever be one of my favorite memories.
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

I put other, as the only version I have is v1. :D
spookypeanut
ScummVM Developer

Post by spookypeanut »

I presume the version that comes with DOTT is Enhanced? That's the only one I have (and I'm ashamed to say I haven't got round to finishing it yet!).
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

spookypeanut wrote:I presume the version that comes with DOTT is Enhanced? That's the only one I have (and I'm ashamed to say I haven't got round to finishing it yet!).
No, the one with DOTT is v1.
sanguinehearts

Post by sanguinehearts »

Famicom, because Im intrigued by it :)
Adventureguy

Post by Adventureguy »

clone2727 wrote:
spookypeanut wrote:I presume the version that comes with DOTT is Enhanced? That's the only one I have (and I'm ashamed to say I haven't got round to finishing it yet!).
No, the one with DOTT is v1.
Well, actually you're both partially right. While in the English version of DOTT it's the v1 Maniac Mansion, in the German version of DOTT it's a v2 Maniac Mansion version because there wasn't a German v1 version of MM, so LEC just packed the German v2 MM version to the German DOTT version. Maybe it's the same for other non-English versions of DOTT, but I don't know for sure.
rocky8311

Post by rocky8311 »

Yeah enhanced has way better graphics, and I found it a lot easier to get "enmeshed" in it so to speak as a result.

I think the other day I finished doing everything that one can possibly do in Maniac Mansion. It made me wish that some factors changed from game to game, like random encounters with the Edisons. They sure are forgetful when you walk through a door, too. And they never avail themselves of any of the rooms of the house other than the kitchen and their rooms (and sometimes a quick trip to the dungeon)

But goodness do I love that game
Tinhead Ned

Post by Tinhead Ned »

The NES version was the first one I played, but my favourite has to be the PC Enhanced version. The NES one would take the top spot if only Nintendo hadn't seen fit to censor it. The music was awesome though.
rocky8311

Post by rocky8311 »

Yeah the NES version was my first, too. I read about it in a back-issue of Nintendo Power that my mom had bought for me at a garage sale and later rented it. At the time I had NO IDEA how to fix the wires since the old batteries had such a short lifespan. I figured if I just kept trying to do it faster, it might work! haha Needless to say, I did not win the game.

Later I caught sight of Maniac Mansion on the Lucarts Classic Adventures box and just HAD to have it. And of course, I was thenceforth hooked on all five of those and never looked back...

If there was a version with the art of Enhanced and the music of NES I might be very happy.
rocky8311

Post by rocky8311 »

Since NES lets you into the Sekrit Lab by just typing 0000, I realized that there are many things you don't have to do like opening the garage or bothering with Edna's safe if you have Michael...

So I decided to go through the game and take the meteor out the back door, only to find myself locked out of the garage (that character hadn't used hunk-o-matic and the yellow key was still in GT's room for that matter) and unable to open the fence!

Needless to say...the Mansion and everyone in a 5 mile radius was vaporized soon thereafter
Vorph

Post by Vorph »

For me I have the most intense feelings towards the C64 Version... I still remember having bought this game at a local Electronics Shop for about 50 DM and started the game for the first time - "Twenty years ago today...". This game made me pass several vocabulary tests, and how coud anyone forget this cute little slug that appeared on "the real machine" when there was a disk access. In school there was no other topic: "Have you found the Key to the Lab, where is the fuel to operate the Chainsaw, a friend told me Razor can fix the staircase, have you tried putting the hamster in the microwave oven :)"

Those were the days...
OmerMor
Got a warning

Post by OmerMor »

What about Maniac Mansion Deluxe by LucasFans? I think it was beautifuly made!

Omer.