Zak McK FM-TOWNS

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

rocky8311

Zak McK FM-TOWNS

Post by rocky8311 »

I keep seeing screenshots on this site of a really enhanced version of Zak McKracken (moreso than the 1992 release in the Classic Adventures bundle). Is this the FM-TOWNS version and is it originally in English?
JKing

Post by JKing »

Yes and yes. The FM-Towns version has both Japanese and English text.
rocky8311

Post by rocky8311 »

There's no Maniac Mansion FM Towns is there?
glokidd

Post by glokidd »

no, unfortuneately thre isnt but there is a complete vga update to the orgiginal ega version of loom. The fm-towns version of loom is uncut, whereas the pc cd-rom version has removed a lot of the close-up shots and shortened a lot of the dialog. The pc-cdrom (talkie version) is often considered a directors cut
Muyfa666

Post by Muyfa666 »

rocky8311: Even thou it's not Scumm, this might be worth mentioning. There is a fanmade version of Maniac Mansion that's called Maniac Mansion Deluxe. It stays very true to the original, while adding things like background music, slightly better graphics etc.

Go search for it. It's free to download.
rocky8311

Post by rocky8311 »

Yeah I've played the deluxe, it is interesting. I didn't like what they did with the music but the graphics were great!

There's just something about a quiet Mansion...with the grandfather clock tick...tick...ticking away...that's always going to be special to me. The ATMOSPHERE...the sense of anxiety/fear of being caught. I think I'll start a thread about it...
hamm0ndeggs

Post by hamm0ndeggs »

Does anyone know where you can get a copy of the enhanced version? I've googled, ebayed, etc. and I can't find it anywhere. I'd appreciate the help.
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

Maniac Mansion Deluxe

edit: otoh, what yrou you looking for? MM or ZMcK?
rocky8311

Post by rocky8311 »

Actually ebay worked for me last month. I don't know if the enhanced version was released outside of the Classic Adventures bundle, but that's how -I- got it. Be careful of the auctioneers b/c they may not know what they're talking about....
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

rocky8311 wrote:I don't know if the enhanced version was released outside of the Classic Adventures bundle
Yeah, it was.
hamm0ndeggs

Post by hamm0ndeggs »

I was actually looking for the enhanced Zak. But thanks for the MM link.
rocky8311

Post by rocky8311 »

Not to be a Maniac Mansion snob, but the unofficial Deluxe version is not the same as the Enhanced version, let's not confuse people.