TOUCHE' The Adventures of the Fifth Musketeer

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Kaminari

Post by Kaminari »

zoppologo wrote:is this the problem or it is slow because it slow?
Not sure. I think my French version is actually way too fast.
TheHeXMan

Post by TheHeXMan »

[REDACTED] is offering the game, too:

[REDACTED]

I think it is allowed to get the game from there, because [REDACTED] puts a special comment (ESA NOTICE) on game description sites where downloading is not allowed, like monkey island 2:

[REDACTED]
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

TheHeXMan wrote: I think it is allowed to get the game from there, because [REDACTED] puts a special comment (ESA NOTICE) on game description sites where downloading is not allowed
Copyright is not an exclusive privilege to members of the Entertainment Software Association. Unless the copyright holders of the game themselves have agreed to release it, this strikes me as just wishful thinking.
benn

Post by benn »

Hi all,
I just got a mail (well, got it a month ago, but it was in my 'public' spamtrap, so I only just read it today) about Touché. Happy to help in any way I can. Indeed, myself and my partner wrote the script for said game. Originally, I was booked just to do the music, but after playing the original version, we realised it was never going to compete with LucasArts, so we offered to rewrite it...not that I'm saying it compared even afterward, but it was a hell of a lot better than before!

As for copyright, I guess it went to Eidos when they bought US Gold (and scrapped all the games in development - we had a couple of comedy point'n'clicks on the go - 'Alien Zoo' and 'Gadzooks' - scripts and storyboards all ready to go if anybody fancies putting in the time...)

Certainly though I *always* retain copyright on my music, so am quite happy to let it be released (I've always been a fan of the scumm project), and I *guess* that we still own copyright on the script itself.

The voices were recorded by some actor friends of ours - no idea where they got to, but findable if necessary.

Thanks for the head-up on the Rouen tune - I'll see if I can have a hack of the MIDI.

Any other questions, please feel free to ask, and again, I'm willing to help in any way I can.

Cheers,
Ben(n) Daglish
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

benn wrote:Hi all,
I just got a mail (well, got it a month ago, but it was in my 'public' spamtrap, so I only just read it today) about Touché. Happy to help in any way I can. Indeed, myself and my partner wrote the script for said game. Originally, I was booked just to do the music, but after playing the original version, we realised it was never going to compete with LucasArts, so we offered to rewrite it...not that I'm saying it compared even afterward, but it was a hell of a lot better than before!

As for copyright, I guess it went to Eidos when they bought US Gold (and scrapped all the games in development - we had a couple of comedy point'n'clicks on the go - 'Alien Zoo' and 'Gadzooks' - scripts and storyboards all ready to go if anybody fancies putting in the time...)

Certainly though I *always* retain copyright on my music, so am quite happy to let it be released (I've always been a fan of the scumm project), and I *guess* that we still own copyright on the script itself.

The voices were recorded by some actor friends of ours - no idea where they got to, but findable if necessary.

Thanks for the head-up on the Rouen tune - I'll see if I can have a hack of the MIDI.

Any other questions, please feel free to ask, and again, I'm willing to help in any way I can.

Cheers,
Ben(n) Daglish
Hi Ben,

welcome to the forums, great to have yet another dev around :-)

Maybe this would be a great opportunity for @glidem and his ScummVM music enhancement project?
Also could be in the scope of redoing the voices in a better quality?

Thanks for showing up
JamesWoodcock

Post by JamesWoodcock »

Hi Ben

Maybe you could have a look at my ScummVM Music Enhancement Page:
http://www.jameswoodcock.co.uk/?page_id=54

...and get in touch with me directly using the contact form.
cappuchok

Post by cappuchok »

I just got a mail (well, got it a month ago, but it was in my 'public' spamtrap, so I only just read it today) about Touché. Happy to help in any way I can.
Hi Ben(n?), and welcome! I'm sure we're all glad to hear from you, as it's not often we actually see forum posts from the original developers of games included in ScummVM.

Some of us have also tried contacting Eidos and SCi, but to no avail. I don't suppose you know someone there who might be able to tell us more about the current rights situation concerning the actual game? I'm sure if there was a way of releasing the actual game source code to the ScummVM team, development on the new engine would really pick up some speed and result in a less buggy engine.
benn

Post by benn »

Sorry - I'm sure anybody I knew at Eidos is either long gone or burnt out by now.
I'm pretty sure that I haven't got a contract anywhere, but Graham (Lilley) may well have - it'd be interesting to see terms wrt copyright - I'm sure that if the company is no longer actively trading and / or promoting the game, it'd be safe. I'm quite happy, as composer / script editor to allow non-commercial use of all my material, and I'm sure Graham would do the same. Whether or not the source still exists is another matter - anybody got a spare 5 1/4" drive spare? :)

Ben
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

Hi Ben,

Welcome to the forums. You will eventually dig up my e-mail to you as well.

Would you be up to releasing Touche as freeware? (If you figure out what's up with the copyright situation)
benn wrote:I'm sure that if the company is no longer actively trading and / or promoting the game, it'd be safe.
I'm assuming this means you would say yes, but I'd like to make sure.
benn

Post by benn »

clone2727 wrote:I'm assuming this means you would say yes, but I'd like to make sure.
You assume correctly - I'm quite happy to open-source my contribution. I'm afraid I'm not up to the task of hunting down and untangling all the other legal abandonware-copyright issues though - but you must have people doing that already, no?

Ben
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

benn wrote:but you must have people doing that already, no?
Well, cappuchok and I have been trying to find who owns the copyright (which we thought was Eidos/SCi). Ender does most of the "hunting" and is going to look into it now.

I only wish SCi would reply to our e-mails.
karsten

Post by karsten »

The WIKI says the Amiga version is not supported, there was no Amiga version.
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

karsten wrote:The WIKI says the Amiga version is not supported, there was no Amiga version.
What? I don't see any Amiga version mentioned in that page!

Nah, I just removed it. :wink:
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

Is there a reason why this thread is still in "The Junkyard"?
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

Raziel wrote:Is there a reason why this thread is still in "The Junkyard"?
Yeah. No one moved it yet :wink: