ScummVM for UMPC/Tablet PC?

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

hal9000

ScummVM for UMPC/Tablet PC?

Post by hal9000 »

Hello,

I recently bought an Origami UMPC (Ultra Mobile PC) working with Windows XP Tablet PC Edition 2005. ScummVM runs fine but since this device is intended to be used without a keyboard and since a tap in it's touch screen means a mouse click, I miss some features from the Pocket PC port, such as an integrated virtual keyboard, the ability to map a button to an action so a button can be used to bring up the menu for saving, etc.., and finally the ability to enter in a hover mode ignoring mouse clicks until you go back to normal mode.

If these additions could be made into the Windows port of ScummVM it would be perfectly enjoyable in UMPC and Tablet PC devices on the go, without external keyboards or having to play in windowed mode to use the Windows's virtual keyboard.

Thanks in advance.
Angel Garcia.
Last edited by hal9000 on Sun Jun 17, 2007 11:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
jvprat
ScummVM Developer

Re: ScummVM for UMPC/Tablet PC?

Post by jvprat »

hal9000 wrote: I miss some features from the Pocket PC port, such as an integrated virtual keyboard, the ability to map a buttom to an action so a buttom can be used to bring up the menu for saving, etc.., and finally the ability to enter in a hover mode ignoring mouse clicks until you go back to normal mode.
I didn't know the Pocket PC port had this hover mode. It would also be nice to have this feature and the virtual keyboard in other touch-screen ports (I don't know about DS and others, but the Nokia 770 port doesn't have them).

I guess all this will be easy to achieve when the new "Small Devices Backend" gets done. Any news on this?
kikoseis

Post by kikoseis »

I agree. It is a good request: there are may people wiht tablet pc and umpc.
:)
PsYcO
Got 2 warnings

Post by PsYcO »

wont the standard win32 version run on them?

or specifically you want the touch screen feature available?
kikoseis

Post by kikoseis »

¿plugin for win32 program?
it's good idea?
hal9000

Post by hal9000 »

PsYcO wrote:wont the standard win32 version run on them?

or specifically you want the touch screen feature available?
Yes, the Win32 version works, but since you have to control all by using a touch screen, you can have problems when a keyboard is needed (open de device if it has an integrated keyboard, or plug an external keyboard, or run SVM windowed to access the Windows virtual keyboard... all options quite anoying) so a virtual keyboard in SVM itself as in PocketPC version would be great. As well as the hover mode for the pen cursor.