The Feeble Files versions?

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Muyfa666

The Feeble Files versions?

Post by Muyfa666 »

I saw that there are a 4-disc version aside from the 2-disc version I own. What is the difference between the two?
Kirben

Post by Kirben »

The advantages of 4CD version of The Feeble Files are:
Higher video quality in cutscenes.
Several extra cutscenes, of the pilot and docking controller arguing at Metro Prime.
Muyfa666

Post by Muyfa666 »

Ah crap. So it's a better version. Any hints on places that might sell it?
Kirben

Post by Kirben »

Unfortunately the 4CD versions of The Feeble Files are no longer sold, so I can only suggest you try eBay.
Muyfa666

Post by Muyfa666 »

Not to undermine your knowledge, but after asking around in the oldgames scene, I've been told that there are no difference between the PC 4cd and 2cd version except that the 2cd version is compressed with lossless compression.
Kirben

Post by Kirben »

Sounds more like the 'oldgames scene' have no idea what they are talking about.

I own the 2CD and 4CD PC versions of The Feeble Files, along with Amiga and Macintosh versions.

All the PC versions of The Feeble Files used the Smacker format for cutscenes, which isn't lossless compression.

The 2CD version of The Feeble Files used improved Smacker compression, but at the cost of overall video quality. As there is a clear visual difference between cutscenes in the 2CD and 4CD versions of The Feeble Files.

There are nine extra cutscenes in the 4CD version, which should be easily spotted by a comparison of the cutscene files in each version.
Muyfa666

Post by Muyfa666 »

Then I can of course not doubt your word anymore. I am trying to hunt down a copy now, but it seems that I may have to settle for the 2cd version.

Would you say I am missing anything essential when playing the 2cd version or is it just small things?
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

Let me suggest you to search for Floyd on eBay. It's German version of Feeble and it comes only on 4CDs. It is really cheap. My copy (thanks to bastardo) was bought for 1EUR. And when you may not see additional cutscenes (I don't really know is there are script differences), but you will get better quality videos. Current DXA tool compresses audio separately so it will be easy to mix.

Eugene
Muyfa666

Post by Muyfa666 »

A quick search on german eBay tells me it's quite easy to find cheap in germany. I am having a bit of a hard time understanding the language thou.

And I guess that the missing scenes would be completely silent if I took my english audio and combined them with the german video. Aw well. Not really worth the trouble I think.

Maybe the ScummVM-crew comes through with downloadable cutscenes as they did with Broken Sword. :-)
clem

Post by clem »

Muyfa666 wrote:A quick search on german eBay tells me it's quite easy to find cheap in germany. I am having a bit of a hard time understanding the language thou.
yeah, it's next to impossible to find english lng games on german ebay when there was a german version released :-/

still trying to find an english BS1 for sev
Muyfa666

Post by Muyfa666 »

Heh. BS1 is quite easy to come by here.

Not the original version, but the BS1&BS2 combo I got for 5$. :-)
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

clem wrote:still trying to find an english BS1 for sev
There is one on sale now here.

I had a copy of BS1 (Circle of Blood) for the PC, but mine had two disc one's. Now, I only have my PSX version.
clem

Post by clem »

clone2727 wrote:There is one on sale now here.
UK... yay, so I can get ripped off both in shipping charges and euro->pound conversion :)
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

clem wrote:
clone2727 wrote:There is one on sale now here.
UK... yay, so I can get ripped off both in shipping charges and euro->pound conversion :)
Well, you don't want to have to go through US$ either.:P
clem

Post by clem »

clone2727 wrote:Well, you don't want to have to go through US$ either.:P
indeed, which takes us back to ebay.de and comparetively low shipping costs and bank transfer rates... as well as getting the games only in german from there