Gob engine to support Ween?

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

paolito

Gob engine to support Ween?

Post by paolito »

Is support for Coktel Vision's Ween - The Prophecy planned? As far as i can tell the game should be pretty similar to Goblins series so one day maybe?

Thanks for the great work done ScummVM!
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

Well, maybe. As I saw, not only Ween but most Coktel adventure games used same engine. Right now we support only gobliiins 1 and we're stuck because engine has to be reworked a bit as current implementation makes extremely difficult insertion of gobliins2 differences. Maybe some day when we will finish gob3, and there will be not much work, we will try to RE other games, unless, of course, we find a way to obtain their source codes.

In short, right now we need more developers who will work on gob engine.

Eugene
Collector

Post by Collector »

Is Lost In Time a different engine?
john_doe
ScummVM Developer

Post by john_doe »

Collector wrote:Is Lost In Time a different engine?
Seems it's the same one.
But it's also possible Coktel had a set of libraries ("programming tools") to make each one of these games. So some parts would be the same and some would be specific to each game so one would still need the source code for the game.
E.g. the file handling, compression and video routines seem to be the same in each game. The scripts also seem similar, they have the same copyright string ("M.D.O. 1992" or similar).
It depends on how much of the game is written in the scripts and how much they changed to support the other games.
paolito

Post by paolito »

sev wrote:... Maybe some day when we will finish gob3, and there will be not much work, we will try to RE other games, unless, of course, we find a way to obtain their source codes.
So currently is this engine reimplementation based on RE effort or do you have source codes at hand? And in general, what are you lacking more, source codes or developers?
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

paolito wrote: So currently is this engine reimplementation based on RE effort or do you have source codes at hand?
Current gob module is a complete RE contributed to the team by some Russian programmer.
paolito wrote:And in general, what are you lacking more, source codes or developers?
We are lacking developers. There are many tasks including goblins, which we just can't do because our hands are full. Current areas of development:
  • * Feeble Files (source code)
    * Legend of Kyrandia (RE)
    * I have no Mouth (modifications to existing engine)
    * Gobliins2 (modifications to existing engine, planned)
    * Humongous Entertainment titles (modifications to existing engine)
    * MM C64
    * C64 sound (planned)
    * New GUI (in progress)
    * Common small devices backend (planned)
And we have just few active developers at the moment. So you may see.

Eugene
john_doe
ScummVM Developer

Post by john_doe »

sev wrote: * Feeble Files (source code)
What language is that written in? I read somewhere it was pure assembly. If it was C/C++ maybe I could have a look at it.
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

john_doe wrote:What language is that written in? I read somewhere it was pure assembly. If it was C/C++ maybe I could have a look at it.
There are big chunks in assembly, but most of the engine is in C. Source code access is restricted to ScummVM Team only, so if you really want to work on that, you should enter the team, and for that you should prove yourself by submitting patches with implementation of some features which will be eventually commited to CVS. That's our usual procedure.

Eugene
noize

Post by noize »

Ween intro is playing in ScummVM. You can also get a bit in game too, and change rooms. Probably has to do with the added Gob2 opcodes and such.

Anyone know if there ever was a CDROM version of Ween?
I currently own the floppy version, and the booklet does mention something about the CD version not having the colour protection scheme.
Couldn't find any information about the cdrom version on internet though.
DrMcCoy
ScummVM Developer

Post by DrMcCoy »

noize wrote:Ween intro is playing in ScummVM. You can also get a bit in game too, and change rooms. Probably has to do with the added Gob2 opcodes and such.
Yup. :)
From what it looks like at the moment, Ween could become playable along with Gob2.
WNivek

Post by WNivek »

noize wrote:Anyone know if there ever was a CDROM version of Ween?
I currently own the floppy version, and the booklet does mention something about the CD version not having the colour protection scheme.
Couldn't find any information about the cdrom version on internet though.
I'm not aware of a CD version, however my copy of the floppy version of The Prophecy had no copy protection screen.
I wonder if I still have that around here somewhere...
fac

Post by fac »

noize wrote:Ween intro is playing in ScummVM. You can also get a bit in game too, and change rooms. Probably has to do with the added Gob2 opcodes and such.
Today i tried Bargon Attack. I could watch all intro and move our "hero", but nothing more. Lokks like that are several Coktel Vision games that share Gob2 engine.

When this topic started it belonged in The Junkyard, but now since the intros are working it could be in General Discussion.
timofonic

Post by timofonic »

Here is the list of all Cocktel Vision's adventure games, ordered by year. Normally I can't show the game listin this manner, but I played a bit with the URLs and is there! ;)

There are some games that are more a mix of strategy, but maybe most of the games use the same game engine? Probably some tests will to know it, any manner for helping on this matter? Please say it, I want to help with this ;)
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

The Madventurer wrote:There are some games that are more a mix of strategy, but maybe most of the games use the same game engine?
Yes, they do. And also you can help with this process by donating games to the Team. Some of them are hard to find these days.

Eugene
timofonic

Post by timofonic »

That's OK. What ones are not already needed to buy? Probably Gobliins series are already buyed, no?

Are there some list of games that ScummVM team needs? If not, it could be a nice addition to the wiki.

I can buy and donate a few Coktel Vision's games, just send me a PM about where to send them in the future, where to find and where to buy them. I located some but seems I'm not good finding. Actually I will only can pay 60eur aproximately at this moment as maximun for the games, maybe I will buy more of them in the future.