Beneath a Steel Sky Audio Restoration Project

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

joostp
ScummVM Developer

Post by joostp »

SimSaw wrote:Hey, no reason to laugh! I thought joostp should go to his friend to make copies of the DATs, that's all.
If I had access to a DAT player/recorder (via a friend or otherwise) I wouldn't post a request for someone to lend me one now would I? :)
Herrscher

Post by Herrscher »

*chr* 8)

Maybe I send you my homebrew double-electromagnet-DAT-copy-mechanism!?? :?: :lol:
LogicDeLuxe

Post by LogicDeLuxe »

As there are some missing takes in the game, were they forgotten to be recorded at all, or are they on tape, but just not implemented in the game for some reason?

If those takes do not exist at all, is there any chance, they could be recorded finaly, ie. are the original actors willing to do them?

Either way, I hope we finaly can hear those in the game, one day.
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

As topic says, it's audio restoration project. I.e. restore original quality of the sound samples.

Eugene
joostp
ScummVM Developer

Post by joostp »

LogicDeLuxe wrote:As there are some missing takes in the game, were they forgotten to be recorded at all, or are they on tape, but just not implemented in the game for some reason?
I don't know if they are on the tapes, but I hope to find out soon. :)
Guybrush Peepwood

Post by Guybrush Peepwood »

There is a bargain 1 year old Panasonic DAT player on eBay UK thats going for £0.99 with £20 postage and one day to go although it seems too good to be true and no-one is bidding.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Panasonic-SV-3800 ... dZViewItem
_user_

Post by _user_ »

Where the heck did you get the original DAT tape with the samples?
joostp
ScummVM Developer

Post by joostp »

_user_ wrote:Where the heck did you get the original DAT tape with the samples?
From Revolution.
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

_user_ wrote:Where the heck did you get the original DAT tape with the samples?
You know, it's top secret, but I'll tell you. From Revolution Software, same company which created BASS.

Eugene
LogicDeLuxe

Post by LogicDeLuxe »

I certainly don't want to rush anything, but I'm curious: Is there any chance, we will hear the Broken Sword games with high quality sound one day?
Not only the speech, but especially the music deserves more than those 11 kHz mono samples in those games.
Herrscher

Post by Herrscher »

LogicDeLuxe wrote:I certainly don't want to rush anything, but I'm curious: Is there any chance, we will hear the Broken Sword games with high quality sound one day?
Not only the speech, but especially the music deserves more than those 11 kHz mono samples in those games.

That would be great. :!:

Maybe Monkey 1 and 2, too?! :lol: 8)
clem

Post by clem »

BS1/2 = Revolution, cooperative
MI1/2 = LucasArts, not cooperative - plus the audio in MI2 is not a wave file, and since MI1 uses CD audio, the quality won't get much better

clem
_user_

Post by _user_ »

I've known other Maniac Mansion remakes but none of them has gotten the original DAT tape with the BASS samples and try and replace the old samples so it would sound better. I can't wait until the project finishes!!!

_user_
Herrscher

Post by Herrscher »

clem wrote:BS1/2 = Revolution, cooperative
MI1/2 = LucasArts, not cooperative
Because of that I was laughing about the MI thing... 8)
uncle.f

Post by uncle.f »

I have a very good friend of mine who is studying sonology (all about sounds) in Den Haag
http://www.koncon.nl/public_site/220/SOmain.html
I asked him if he had access to DAT equipment and he told me that there are loads of those machines where he is studying. I am quite sure that he cannot send you a DAT player, but as far as I remember Den Haag is 20 minutes (or so) by train from Amsterdam so you could meet up and do it all there.
The only thing is that my friend is on holidays in another country and won't be back until February, however if it is really urgent he can ask his classmates to arrange something.
Let me know if you are interested.