The "1.0" release

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

iedutu

The "1.0" release

Post by iedutu »

Hi guys!

Any specific schedule for the release of the 1.0 ?
Like any really outstanding features still to be done?

Thanks and keep on the (very) good work!
Chris.
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

IMNSHO, there are at least 2 things:
  • Decent documentation. Nobody is working on that now.
  • Support for all LEC games. Now we still have big problems with MM NES, MM C64 and lack support for Apple ][ games as well as PCE Loom

Eugene
abelthorne

Post by abelthorne »

sev wrote:
What do you mean by "decent"?
Kaminari

Post by Kaminari »

abelthorne wrote:
sev wrote:
What do you mean by "decent"?
See this topic.
sev wrote:Support for all LEC games. Now we still have big problems with MM NES, MM C64 and lack support for Apple ][ games as well as PCE Loom
1.0 is finally around the corner and here I am doing forensics about the PC Engine version of Loom. Looks like the copy I donated to Ender ages ago didn't bear any fruit.

So what's the score, and most importantly, what's missing to support this version? I have acquaintances in the PCE dev community and am willing to get them having a serious look at this. A 1.0 release without Loom PCE support would be quite frankly disappointing.

(For info, I have tried the special build by Kirben, but I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do with the dumps, especially since one can't see what's going on on screen.)
rented mule

Post by rented mule »

Kaminari wrote:A 1.0 release without Loom PCE support would be quite frankly disappointing.
Somewhere, a tiny violin is playing.
Kaminari

Post by Kaminari »

Yeah, just read through the dev list (lots of discontent over the "1.0 or not" right now) and it appears it's probably never going to happen. Nice. Well, I hope someone in Australia is still having fun with my copy.
marzipan

Post by marzipan »

A 1.0 release could also do with more cleaned-up FM-Towns emulation/simulation/whateveryouwanttocallit. Like eliminating the gfx glitches during screen changes for example.

It's a darn shame if those people who were previously handling FMT duties on the project literally picked up the ball (read: their FM-Towns games) and went home.
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Post by LordHoto »

marzipan wrote:It's a darn shame if those people who were previously handling FMT duties on the project literally picked up the ball (read: their FM-Towns games) and went home.
I don't know much about that, but AFAIK our guy working on Zak FM-Towns did commit suicide long ago (before I joined the team actually). I don't know who else has SCUMM FM-Towns games in the team.
rented mule

Post by rented mule »

There are tons of stuff that could have/should have/hopefully would have been implemented before the big One Oh. But, in the end, does it matter?

It would have been interesting to see the special Mac soft synth emulated for the Mac versions of MI, MI2, Indy FOA but whatever...life goes on.
Flo

Post by Flo »

There's also (or rather, isn't) the support for music in Amiga SCUMM games.

But the question really is what the criteria are for a "1.0" release, since ScummVM isn't a commercial project that has to be boxed up and put on shelves at some point. It seems to be that the completion of the core functionality and documentation can be seen as enough for a 1.0 release. On a project that keeps adding features, you simply can't wait for all of them to be perfected (read: probably never). On the other hand, there's no real need to ever hit 1.0 either.

I'm sure the developers are having a similar discussion amongst themselves ;)
marzipan

Post by marzipan »

The audio talk reminded me of something I forgot..... the Atari ST titles don't sound quite 'Atari' to me in the music department under ScummVM (at least in comparison to, say, STeem). :P
Kirben

Post by Kirben »

Support for all adventure games based on the SCUMM engine is available, but games using 16bit color are currently only supported in the gsoc2009-16bit branch of ScummVM SVN.

Support for sound in Amiga of The Secret of Monkey Island is available, but currently only in the gsoc2009-mods branch of ScummVM SVN. All other Amiga ports of SCUMM games already provide sound support, although not quite perfect in all cases.

The Apple/Commodore64 ports of Manic Mansion have really progressed, due to work provided by segra, although the patches have not been merged into trunk yet (due to feature freeze).

A few developers own FM-TOWNS versions of games, but I'm not sure if anyone owns the FM-TOWNS versions of games (FOA and MI2), where the major bugs still occur. Fixing bugs specific to a single port of a game, often requires in depth knowledge of that system, simply owning the game doesn't always help.
maximus

Post by maximus »

Kirben wrote:Support for all adventure games based on the SCUMM engine is available, but games using 16bit color are currently only supported in the gsoc2009-16bit branch of ScummVM SVN.
The Apple/Commodore64 ports of Manic Mansion have really progressed, due to work provided by segra, although the patches have not been merged into trunk yet (due to feature freeze).
Does this mean none of the gsoc projects will be part of 1.0 (assumption based on the 'feature-freeze' comment). I would assume 16-bit colour support would be a major milestone to include in a release, and it sounds like upthorn's making good progress (though obviously I'm not one to judge that :P).
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

maximus wrote:
Kirben wrote:Support for all adventure games based on the SCUMM engine is available, but games using 16bit color are currently only supported in the gsoc2009-16bit branch of ScummVM SVN.
Does this mean none of the gsoc projects will be part of 1.0 (assumption based on the 'feature-freeze' comment). I would assume 16-bit colour support would be a major milestone to include in a release, and it sounds like upthorn's making good progress (though obviously I'm not one to judge that :P).
No, none of the gsoc projects will be part of 1.0 (but they will most certainly be in the next stable release). More testing is needed to include them in the stable build, and there is not enough time for testing for the major release, plus there's ALWAYS going to be "feature X" which would be nice to be included (refer to the discussions in scummvm-devel). In the case of 16-bit color support, more time is also needed to support it in the majority of the platforms that ScummVM has been ported to
maximus

Post by maximus »

md5 wrote: No, none of the gsoc projects will be part of 1.0 (but they will most certainly be in the next stable release). More testing is needed to include them in the stable build, and there is not enough time for testing for the major release, plus there's ALWAYS going to be "feature X" which would be nice to be included (refer to the discussions in scummvm-devel). In the case of 16-bit color support, more time is also needed to support it in the majority of the platforms that ScummVM has been ported to
Fair enough. I'm sure it's difficult enough to isolate when the code should be frozen as everyone's opinion of what features "must" be included differ :P