Simon the sorcerer 1 - Subtitles?

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

wanner

Simon the sorcerer 1 - Subtitles?

Post by wanner »

I cant get subtitles to work with Simon the Sorcerer 1. So my question is, does this game have any subtitles?
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Re: Simon the sorcerer 1 - Subtitles?

Post by eriktorbjorn »

wanner wrote:I cant get subtitles to work with Simon the Sorcerer 1. So my question is, does this game have any subtitles?
I've been told that at least the English talkie version does not have any subtitles. I don't know about other talkie versions.
wanner

Post by wanner »

I have the talkie, not sure what version though. I would really much like to add subtitles to the game, cause sometimes the speech can be difficult to hear.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

wanner wrote:I have the talkie, not sure what version though. I would really much like to add subtitles to the game, cause sometimes the speech can be difficult to hear.
Well, if they speak English you have an English version. :)

I, too, find it annoying that there aren't any subtitles. Particularly since that means the ones from the non-talkie version must have been removed. Simon the Sorcerer 2 does have subtitles, but at least for the English version they only really work well with speech turned off. (The original did either speech or subtitles, not both at the same time.)
Kirben

Post by Kirben »

Unfortunately most of the subtitles were removed in the English and German versions of Simon the Sorcerer 1 (with speech). The subtitles were removed from the data files and the scripts altered to no longer display the subtitles in those cases. That is why subtitles are disabled under ScummVM.