Question about Broken Sword versions

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Mediteran

Post by Mediteran »

yeah, thanx for all the information :)
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Mediteran wrote:ok, so the new scummvm will now what to do with the new files i dont need to adjust anything? can i delete the old ones or will my game crash and stuff? :)
As I wrote above, the old cutscene files are no longer needed, and can be removed. The other data files (paris1.clu, etc.) are still needed, of course.

Technically, what happens is that Broken Sword 1 requests to play a cutscene, e.g. intro. ScummVM then looks for intro.dxa. If it finds that, it assumes that it can use the DXA player to play it. If not, it looks for intro.mp2. If it finds that, it assumes that it can use the MPEG player to play it. If not, it won't play the movie at all.

Broken Sword 2 has a third option. The voice-overs for those cutscenes are part of the game data files, not the cutscene moves (presumably to make them easier to translate), so ScummVM can play just the voice-overs. It's a left-over from the time before the cutscene movies were supported at all, but potentially useful on devices with limited storage capacity.

Similarly, when playing the cutscene sound ScummVM will look for FLAC (intro.fla or intro.flac), Ogg Vorbis (intro.ogg) and MP3 (intro.mp3) files, in that order, and play the first one it finds.
Mediteran

Post by Mediteran »

ok, thanx for clarifying everything :)
Mon1018
Spammer

Post by Mon1018 »

I'll definitely buy it.
chas-g

Post by chas-g »

just a question, i cant play this without scummvm or? are there benefits to playing with this? im not sure what exactly is scummvm, sorry for being dumb
-----------------------------------------------------------

Hello Mediteran,
Whilst I think ScummVM is totally brilliant & run several games through it I prefer when possible to install the game & run it normally on my Win XP Comp. So if you want to run BS1 & BS2 on Win XP (possibly Vista?)go to this link - http://forums.scummvm.org/viewtopic.php ... ight=chasg

the choice is yours.
rippledingo

Post by rippledingo »

i bought BS1 and BS2 from soldout at the bargin price of £4.50 might i add online and they work fine i am runnig vista too, it installs straight form disc, the only possible problem you might have is the requirment for msvbvm50.dll file but this is available at the microsoft download centre, it also comes with scummvm 0.70 which is a bonus.
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

chas-g wrote:
just a question, i cant play this without scummvm or? are there benefits to playing with this? im not sure what exactly is scummvm, sorry for being dumb
-----------------------------------------------------------

Hello Mediteran,
Whilst I think ScummVM is totally brilliant & run several games through it I prefer when possible to install the game & run it normally on my Win XP Comp. So if you want to run BS1 & BS2 on Win XP (possibly Vista?)go to this link - http://forums.scummvm.org/viewtopic.php ... ight=chasg

the choice is yours.
I honestly don't know why you'd want to run the games with their original interpreters, when ScummVM offers much more options and features, plus it fixes a lot of bugs found in the original games...
chas-g

Post by chas-g »

Quote: md5
I honestly don't know why you'd want to run the games with their original interpreters, when ScummVM offers much more options and features, plus it fixes a lot of bugs found in the original games...

Well BS 1 & 2 are good examples. To play these games through ScummVM you have to mess about with cutscene packs etc.

BTW is there any bugfixes or options/features for these 2 games when played through ScummVM?

P.S. I will state for the record that I haven't played these games from beginning to end (I have on my old win 98 SE comp) on my current Win XP comp, so I can't say for sure that they'll run perfectly all the way through.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

chas-g wrote: BTW is there any bugfixes or options/features for these 2 games when played through ScummVM?
There are a few (four or five, maybe six, I think) bugfixes in Broken Sword 2. I haven't actually verified that all of them happen in the original, but I know some of them definitely do. Most of them simply cause the game to hang, which is annoying but at least it's obvious that something went wrong. (For instance, a script can hide the mouse cursor but forget to show it again afterwards.)

One of the bugs, however, is more serious, because there are no obvious signs that anything went wrong. Talking to a certain character when he has nothing more to say or do makes the game impossible to finish because there's an object you're supposed to be able to pick up, but you can't. Revolution's Technical Support page calls this the "pyramid bug". I think that was the first Broken Sword 2 bug I made a fix for in ScummVM.

I wasn't that deeply involved in Broken Sword 1, but I think there were a few there as well.
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

chas-g wrote:Quote: md5

Well BS 1 & 2 are good examples. To play these games through ScummVM you have to mess about with cutscene packs etc.

BTW is there any bugfixes or options/features for these 2 games when played through ScummVM?

P.S. I will state for the record that I haven't played these games from beginning to end (I have on my old win 98 SE comp) on my current Win XP comp, so I can't say for sure that they'll run perfectly all the way through.
Well, for Broken Sword it's not such a big deal. You merely download a zip and decompress it, and that's it...
chas-g

Post by chas-g »

Thanks eriktorbjorn,

I remember the Pyramid bug only too well when I last played BS2.