Flight of the Amazon Queen in Spanish

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Adventure_Knight

Post by Adventure_Knight »

http://www.aventuraycia.com/juego.php?id=266

That's where I learnt that there was a Spanish version.
on the page it says
Developer: Renegade Software
Publisher: Erbe
Is that enough?

EDIT: Oh, in the page it says ''Descatalogado'' that means that the game isn't sold anymore.
abelthorne

Post by abelthorne »

Unless it has officially been said so by the owner of the rights (in that case : the spanish publisher as it has rights on the spanish translation), the game is not freeware. Even if it's not sold anymore anywhere.

You may try to contact Erbe and ask them about the status of the game.
Adventure_Knight

Erbe dissapeared already, that's because the rights of the LucasArts games are of Activision.
Adventureguy

Post by Adventureguy »

I think it would be a good idea to ask the original craetors which language vesions can be promoted as freeware and which not. I think I've read something about that here:
sev wrote:Legality of game localizations should be carefully investigated before making any assumptions. As John once said, some of companies who translated the games returned rights back to them however some aren't. I.e. when some company translates a game or makes a port, it shares copyright on this new derivative work. And it may happen that they do not want it to be free today.

Best thing would be to investigate it with John directly, but he is such a busy man.

Eugene
and:
Ender wrote:I haven't been able to get an answer from John about exactly what translations we can use. Basically, I was supposed to have been sent a disk with the languages that we could use (sevs explained why only some can be used)... but that never happened :)

I completely forgot about the covermount deal with Bravo Screenfun, but that is an 'officially' repacked copy of FOTAQ. Now that I'm reminded, the German translation was one that was going to be sent to us.

That status of other languages, I don't know. The translation issue was talked about verbally with John, so I don't really have anything in writing, making things trickier.
You might try contact John Passfield to clarify the status of the other languages, but as stated above, he's quite busy. You could also contact the company who bought out Erbe and ask what the status of FOTAQ is.
Adventure_Knight

Activision hasn't done anything with Flight of the Amazon Queen, and how can I contact him?