ScummVM 0.9.0 "The OmniBrain loves you" released

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Adventureguy

Post by Adventureguy »

Okay, okay, call it 0.10.0, then.
I think you'll call a ScummVM release 1.0.0 when all the 2D Adventures available are supported and running perfectly, so you can say: "Okay, that's it! We supported all 2D adventures which were ever produced and all of them are running perfectly. We call the release 1.0.0 because everything is perfect. Now, what are we gonna do now since work on ScummVM is completed?"

Allright, that's a bit far fetched (maybe just impossible), I don't know if ScummVM will ever support every 2D adventure game in this world. But it would be cool if as many as possible are supported. 8) (Let's hope some companies gonna give you guys the source codes of their adventure games or that some great guys have the time to try to implement games without sourcecode (which is much harder, of couse.)) :wink:

Anyway, you do a great job, guys! Keep it up! :wink:
sultan

Post by sultan »

awsome releas guys!
Im lovin the new GUI :D
Idkfa

My parade got rained on :(

Post by Idkfa »

Hello guys,

Great job with the release, it's fantastic to hear that I can finally get round to playing some serious Feeble. However, unfortunatley mine seems to not want to work :(. I've installed into the directory C:\Games\Adventure\The Feeble Files and therefore have set this as the game path. However, after I click "Play Game" I get the following error message:

Error: Failed to load video file winasoft.dxa or winaso~1.dxa

any ideas why this is the case?

Thanking you in advance,

Idkfa
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Re: My parade got rained on :(

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Idkfa wrote:Error: Failed to load video file winasoft.dxa or winaso~1.dxa
The original Windows version of The Feeble Files uses Smacker for its cutscenes, which we are unable to support. There have been several messages about this on the forums, so if the documentation for encode_dxa is too cryptic, they may help.

Yes, this is inconvenient, but it's the best we can do at this time.
Adventureguy

Post by Adventureguy »

wrote:The original Windows version of The Feeble Files uses Smacker for its cutscenes, which we are unable to support. There have been several messages about this on the forums, so if the documentation for encode_dxa is too cryptic, they may help.

Phew, I just finished converting the smacker files of The Feeble Files to dxa, I needed 2 days with a sleeping break in it to finish it. I curse RAD Game Tools for not letting the smacker videos being reverse engineered. :x

Well, anyway, I have a small question. Since now there is a dxa support for the smacker videos of Feeble Files, could it be possible to add such a support for the Broken Sword games videos also? I mean dxa look a lot better than mpeg2, imho. That shouldn't be that big a problem, would it?
Idkfa

Re: My parade got rained on :(

Post by Idkfa »

eriktorbjorn wrote:
Idkfa wrote:Error: Failed to load video file winasoft.dxa or winaso~1.dxa
The original Windows version of The Feeble Files uses Smacker for its cutscenes, which we are unable to support. There have been several messages about this on the forums, so if the documentation for encode_dxa is too cryptic, they may help.

Thankyou very, very much : )
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

Adventureguy wrote:Since now there is a dxa support for the smacker videos of Feeble Files, could it be possible to add such a support for the Broken Sword games videos also?
Yes, this is planned feature, we just did not finish it for 0.9.0.

Eugene
Adventureguy

Post by Adventureguy »

sev wrote:
Adventureguy wrote:Since now there is a dxa support for the smacker videos of Feeble Files, could it be possible to add such a support for the Broken Sword games videos also?
Yes, this is planned feature, we just did not finish it for 0.9.0.

Eugene
Great, I hope this feature could be implemented in the 0.9.1 release. :)
clem

Post by clem »

Adventureguy wrote:Great, I hope this feature could be implemented in the 0.9.1 release.
so far .1 releases pretty much only contained bug fixes, so don't get your hopes up too much
Ender
Retired

Post by Ender »

clem wrote:
Adventureguy wrote:Great, I hope this feature could be implemented in the 0.9.1 release.
so far .1 releases pretty much only contained bug fixes, so don't get your hopes up too much
Yep, this is not a feature that will be added to a point release :)
Adventureguy

Post by Adventureguy »

Ender wrote:
clem wrote:
Yep, this is not a feature that will be added to a point release :)
But it could be added in the next point release. :)
JamesWoodcock

Post by JamesWoodcock »

Congratulations developers :) The future is always bright with ScummVM :)
timofonic

Post by timofonic »

1.0.0? Nah, it's too lame and unoriginal ;)

Why not 0.10.0? A lot less predecible, weird and with the paranoid programming thinking (it's not perfect and never will be finished ever because continue development and new stuff to do in the future, so it can't be 1.0!). 1.0 isn't for an infinite WIP project like ScummVM :)

I imagine in five years more the 0.500.1 release! And in ten years old the 0.1500.0 release :D

Please put humour and originality in version numbers ;)
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

The Madventurer wrote:1.0.0? Nah, it's too lame and unoriginal ;)
Please put humour and originality in version numbers ;)
Like ScummVM 2007...?

No, no, wait... ScummVM Vista...

Muahahahahaaa :twisted:
clem

Post by clem »

clem wrote:could as well switch to roman numerals (Paint Shop Pro X anyone?)
0.X.0 looks nice :)