So, when will you move Scummvm.ini to where it should be...?

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

NickyCruz

So, when will you move Scummvm.ini to where it should be...?

Post by NickyCruz »

Namely, to Scummvm's own directory?

Storing configuration files in the Windows' directory went out in, oh, 1994 I'd say, when Windows 3 croaked. That's not even to mention the fact that any system restoring applications target the windows directory for restoration first, and if you have to restore and forget that you just spent two hours yesterday adding all the Lucasarts adventures to the ini file and customizing their settings, then BOOM! you can now do it all again, with an all-new, previous, restored version of the ini file...
clem

Re: So, when will you move Scummvm.ini to where it should be

Post by clem »

NickyCruz wrote:Namely, to Scummvm's own directory?

Storing configuration files in the Windows' directory went out in, oh, 1994 I'd say, when Windows 3 croaked. That's not even to mention the fact that any system restoring applications target the windows directory for restoration first, and if you have to restore and forget that you just spent two hours yesterday adding all the Lucasarts adventures to the ini file and customizing their settings, then BOOM! you can now do it all again, with an all-new, previous, restored version of the ini file...
there have been countless feature requests and forum discussions about that already, I suggest using the search function to read up why this got turned down every single time

if it is really an issue to you, use the cmdline parameters to read the ini file from some other directory

clem
Vinterstum
ScummVM Developer

Post by Vinterstum »

To be fair, the idea was never rejected. There's just been no Windows developers really interested in implementing this in a proper and backwards compatible way (There's no question that the .ini file -should- be located somewhere else on NT versions of Windows, the issue has just been to preserve compatability with 9x versions).

Most of the discussion is here: http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.ph ... tid=418823
joachimeberhard
ScummVM Team Member

Post by joachimeberhard »

IMHO, this topic isn't discussed often enough by far.

Personally, I consider this circumstance neither to be a feature request nor a bug, but simply as a horrid violation of a principle Operating System design guide.

scummvm.ini AND the savegames *have* (I say have here to stress it) to be stored in %homepath%\ScummVM.

%appdata% is in no circumstance suitable for non-technical users, to stress again, in really absolutely NO circumstance, as it is per default a *hidden* path, not intended to be manipulated by the ordinary user. Also, it would provide us with lots of questions, where a user could regain his savegames, after he reinstalled/moved/restored his PC.

Also, as pointed out above, %appdata% is ALSO protected by Windows System recovery. That means, by using a restore points, you'll lose your savegames and settings. this will NOT happen with %homepath%\ScummVM, as sysrecovery prevents that.

%homepath%\ScummVM would be compatible with the following OSes:

Win95+IE5,WinNT+SP5,Win98,WinME,Win2000,WinXP,WinVista

The current location is 100% compatible with the following OSes:

Win95,Win98,WinME

What more do we need to say?
PLEASE!
PRETTY PLEASE WITH SUGAR ON TOP AND CHOCOLATE SPRINKLES!
joachimeberhard
ScummVM Team Member

You *guess* there has to be a reason why it's closed, but I **KNOW** the reason, why the issue comes up all the time. :wink: :twisted:
joachimeberhard
ScummVM Team Member

Also, Program files, the defualt install location for ScummVM, is ALSO protected by sysrecovery AND user protection.

Not to speak of issues when starting it from CD.
Vinterstum
ScummVM Developer

Post by Vinterstum »

clem wrote: I guess there has to be a reason why this hasn't been changed in about 4 years :)
Yes, because no one has bothered changing it yet :) (Read Fingolfin's comments in the -open- bug rep I linked).
joachimeberhard
ScummVM Team Member

joachimeberhard wrote: %homepath%\ScummVM would be compatible with the following OSes:

Win95,Win98,WinME
For the compatibility issue:

This leaves only Win95 without any updates as the only OS affected by this change.

To clarify my suggestion better for non-technical users:

%homepath%\ScummVM is the same as ...\My Documents\ScummVM

Basically, I'm suggesting to move the scummvm.ini AND the savegames there by default.

If any other user feels the way I do, feel free to back me up. :)
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

joachimeberhard wrote:
joachimeberhard wrote: %homepath%\ScummVM would be compatible with the following OSes:

Win95,Win98,WinME
For the compatibility issue:

This leaves only Win95 without any updates as the only OS affected by this change.

To clarify my suggestion better for non-technical users:

%homepath%\ScummVM is the same as ...\My Documents\ScummVM

Basically, I'm suggesting to move the scummvm.ini AND the savegames there by default.

If any other user feels the way I do, feel free to back me up. :)
Yes. Who still uses 95, even with the updates?
glokidd

Post by glokidd »

Older OS's are extremely handy if you want to run old games. while i already use win98se for this purpose, i wouldnt mind having a win95 or even Win3.1 comp around to run the ones that win98 has trouble with (space quest 5 comes to mind)

I agree with Joachim about useing %homepath%\ScummVM. This would be extremely handy for SVN testing, whereas quite often one could have many different installations of scummvm on one system. (but maybe im just doing it wrong) A %homepath%\ScummVM could really help prevent a lot of scummvm.ini juggling.
joachimeberhard
ScummVM Team Member

glokidd wrote:Older OS's are extremely handy if you want to run old games. while i already use win98se for this purpose, i wouldnt mind having a win95 or even Win3.1 comp around to run the ones that win98 has trouble with (space quest 5 comes to mind)

I agree with Joachim about useing %homepath%\ScummVM. This would be extremely handy for SVN testing, whereas quite often one could have many different installations of scummvm on one system. (but maybe im just doing it wrong) A %homepath%\ScummVM could really help prevent a lot of scummvm.ini juggling.
I'm doing it wrong also, by lazily using scummvm.exe from the commandline.

I end up having many different inis where I can't see through anymore.

Unfortunately, %homepath%\ScummVM doesn't lead to "My Documents" as I expected.

Maybe some Windows Dev could come up with a better idea to place it under My Documents\ScummVM
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

glokidd wrote:Older OS's are extremely handy if you want to run old games. while i already use win98se for this purpose, i wouldnt mind having a win95 or even Win3.1 comp around to run the ones that win98 has trouble with (space quest 5 comes to mind)

I also still use my 98se. I had two 95's. One doesn't work. The other I upgraded. My 3.1 still works, but barely. However, most of my old games still work (except Rebel Assault) on 98se or XP.
Vinterstum
ScummVM Developer

Post by Vinterstum »

Ok, I put a patch for this up on the tracker.

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.ph ... tid=418822

I have no chance to test it on 9x systems (or anything beyond XP and Vista) though.

I'll put up a snapshot build on http://worldsmainorganization.org/scummvm, in case anyone with a 9x system would like to test it (Though I have no idea if I'm building it correctly or not, my Windows programming experience is limited to DirectX :) ).
Vinterstum
ScummVM Developer

Post by Vinterstum »

Oh, this method uses APPDATA however.

Putting the ini file directly in HOMEDIR or HOMEDIR\ScummVM breaks a fair amount of design guidelines as well :) (Check how many application files and directories are stored directly in c:\documents and settings\username\)

APPDATA\ScummVM will generally resolve to something like:

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\ScummVM\. This is the standard location for configuration files. I haven't touched savegame locations though, nor am I going to.
Last edited by Vinterstum on Sun Jun 25, 2006 4:34 am, edited 2 times in total.