So, when will you move Scummvm.ini to where it should be...?

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

LOGAN

Post by LOGAN »

Eek, personally I think this (and tried to discuss it before):

savegames and scummvm.ini should be in the application folder by default, not My Documents, or the windows folder, let me try to explain (again).

My documents I like to keep clean because it will be my documents that go there, sot some funny save files.

Save files and ini files belong in the app folder, as I consider both generated by and used exclusivly by the app (ScummVM)

I consider putting something like an ini in the findows dir:
- unneccecary putting files in the Windows folder. (it aint windows)
- not very modern (seem to originate from another OS it seems)

It's the same reason an SDL.dll should be in the appfolder.

Savegames I would like to see be put in app app folder/save.

Please use the appdir and not My Documents, that's a special folder where users put their own created documents like spreadsheets, saved project files, and other stuff. I see it as my personal document folder. I dont like apps to use this folder.

Using command lines is something for the Linix crowd (no offence intended)

If the next scummvm goes on using "My Documents" for it's ini I might consider compiling my personal version where the scummvm ini file will be located in the SCUMMVM root folder. (Installer can ask to keep or remove saved games and scummvm ini on uninstall ;)

No SCUMMVM folders in MY Ducuments folder please :)

Please understand that I think that ScummVM is a really great application, and perhaps these things aren't important for users on other OS-ses, but it would seem so logical to use the app dir for a config file.

And please do NOT use windows registry for this!

C:\\Program Files\ScummVM\scummvm.ini
C:\\Program Files\ScummVM\savegames\
Kirben

Post by Kirben »

If the default location of configuration file is changed, it will be the way already described by Vinterstum.

The application folder can't be used, since it could be write protected on multi-user systems.

The 'My Documents' folder will not be used, since it only meant for user created files.

And we will never use the registry for configuration data!
joachimeberhard
ScummVM Team Member

Post by joachimeberhard »

Kirben wrote:If the default location of configuration file is changed, it will be the way already described by Vinterstum.

The application folder can't be used, since it could be write protected on multi-user systems.

The 'My Documents' folder will not be used, since it only meant for user created files.

OK, then leave it as it is in C:\Windows

APPDATA is in no way suitable or cleverer than C:\Windows

Actually, I find it way worse.

I should put up a poll about this.
Vinterstum
ScummVM Developer

Post by Vinterstum »

joachimeberhard wrote:
Kirben wrote:If the default location of configuration file is changed, it will be the way already described by Vinterstum.

What? Keep in mind we're talking about the configuration file here, not savegames. The majority of other Windows software you use, are keeping their config files in the same spot.
Kirben

Post by Kirben »

joachimeberhard wrote: OK, then leave it as it is in C:\Windows

Well that still leaves the issue of default config location not been writable, on multi-user systems. Which is the main reason for the change.

And it is the standard location used for config files of programs under Windows now, check http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/defau ... /ch11b.asp
joachimeberhard
ScummVM Team Member

Post by joachimeberhard »

Vinterstum wrote:
joachimeberhard wrote:

What? Keep in mind we're talking about the configuration file here, not savegames. The majority of other Windows software you use, are keeping their config files in the same spot.
Software maybe, GAMES do NOT!

My intention was to bring convenience to a new level by making a somewhat revolutionary suggestion, to store config and savegames the SAME WAY as on the MAC, namely the documents folder.

My Documents is also the path were ALL GAMES for Windows store their config files and savegames.

Really, absolutely every game I have stores them there, and it was the only clever way to go.

Please, do NOT take my nagging about changing ini location as any PRO-Argument to put it to APPDATA.

That's by far the WORST location you could put it for games.
Vinterstum
ScummVM Developer

Post by Vinterstum »

Calm down :). It's just a patch, that may or may not make it into the source tree, and may or may not be changed.
joachimeberhard wrote: That's by far the WORST location you could put it for games.
I can think of a number of worse ones, including the current one :). The only difference between appdata and My Documents is that the latter is easier to get to.

Game or not doesn't matter, the base principle is that files that are generated by the program and meant to be altered/viewed by the user using external tools, should go in My Documents, and all other generated files should go in Application Data (http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/defau ... ations.asp)

I'll agree that a case can be made to put scummvm.ini in the former category, it all depends on how common it is for users to modify it directly. That's what it hinges on, really, from my point of view.
Last edited by Vinterstum on Sun Jun 25, 2006 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
LOGAN

Post by LOGAN »

Vinterstum wrote:What? Keep in mind we're talking about the configuration file here, not savegames. The majority of other Windows software you use, are keeping their config files in the same spot.
Are you a Windows user yourself? Installed any (commercial) software recently?

Anyway, I have many many many games (200+ adventure games alone) and games do not use the Windows folder for their configuration files or save games.

Some use My documents for save games but most don't and use the app folder.

To be honest I just don't like each and every program I install put something in windows folder, and something else elsewhere, but please leave the Windows folder alone. To many apps put some files there and also after removal it isnt removed. I already have many files Im certain I dont need as I removed the software ages ago.
Last edited by LOGAN on Sun Jun 25, 2006 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vinterstum
ScummVM Developer

Post by Vinterstum »

LOGAN wrote:
Vinterstum wrote:What? Keep in mind we're talking about the configuration file here, not savegames. The majority of other Windows software you use, are keeping their config files in the same spot.
Are you a Windows user yourself? Installed any (commercial) software recently?
I use three different OSes depending on the situation and what work I have to do. Windows is one of them.

And yes. Yes I have. A quick look in my c:\documents and settings\administrator\application data shows preferences and config files from Apple (iTunes, Quicktime), Adobe (Acrobat Reader), Grisoft (AVG Antivirus), Blender, Microsoft (All apps, pretty much, including Visual Studio), and Sun (J2EE deployment stuff).

Since this is a Windows install on my MacBook (an install I rarely use), and not my main Windows machine, that's pretty much all the software I have installed (not including open source stuff like Firefox and Thunderbird, which incidentally keep their data in the same spot)

Your suggestion was, I believe, that the savegames and scummvm.ini should go in the ScummVM application directory. That isn't going to happen on a multiuser OS where the current user may not have administrative privileges, and you might have several users using the software. Same reason you don't put user specific config files in /usr/local/share on Unix systems.
LOGAN

Post by LOGAN »

Vinterstum wrote: That isn't going to happen on a multiuser OS where the current user may not have administrative privileges, and you might have several users using the software. Same reason you don't put user specific config files in /usr/local/share on Unix systems.
Well, how do the big game companies get it done then? Hmm okay maybe they use the registry... for settings...)

I dont know about linux, I just know Windows apps leave all kind of files all over the place. (I must have literally 100s of useless files by now...)

It would not be sush a big problem if (Windows) apps clean up after themselves, but most leave registry values, dll files and ini files behind amongs others. But some Windows devs think it's chique to leave many registry entries and files behind.
Last edited by LOGAN on Sun Jun 25, 2006 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

joachimeberhard wrote: Software maybe, GAMES do NOT!
Uhh... Games are software, too. :-)

joachimeberhard wrote: My intention was to bring convenience to a new level by making a somewhat revolutionary suggestion, to store config and savegames the SAME WAY as on the MAC, namely the documents folder.
That's wrong. We do not store the preferences in the documents folder under Mac OS X, and doing so would be a grave error. Rather, we store the prefs where they belong, and where every "software" (including games) should (and usually does) put it: In the "Preferences" folder!
Vinterstum
ScummVM Developer

Post by Vinterstum »

LOGAN wrote:Well, how do the big game companies get it done then? Hmm okay maybe they use the registry... for settings...)
The number of games that use the application directory for settings and such is dwindling. Check out where Oblivion stores its config file and settings, for example.

The one big exception really is MMORPGs, and they have the excuse of having constant patches that need to be applied, so the user needs write access in either case.

EDIT: Oh, and editing an old post to add lots of text when people have already replied to it is bad form :)
LOGAN

Post by LOGAN »

I dont know Oblivion, I know Myst 5, Moment Of Solence, Paradise, Runaway, The Black Mirror, Still Life, Halflife 2, Secret Of The Lost Cavern, Syberia, Journey to the center of the earth, etc etc etc.

They dont use Windows folder (apart from some evil StarFarce copyprotected games :$) Most do use the registry for things.
The number of games that use the application directory for settings and such is dwindling.
More and more games need patches before they can be enjoyed, have the option to install for current user or all users.

I don't know, but saving .ini in the windows folder is something from my windows 95 aera :)
EDIT: Oh, and editing an old post to add lots of text when people have already replied to it is bad form
Edit: oh sorry, you didnt post when I started editing ofcourse (2006 10:18 am)
Vinterstum
ScummVM Developer

Post by Vinterstum »

LOGAN wrote: I don't know, but saving .ini in the windows folder is something from my windows 95 aera :)
Everypone agrees with that :). The discussion here is WHERE to put it, either in some subdir of My Documents, or under the Application Data subdir (which normally is hidden from the user).

EDIT:
LOGAN wrote:Edit: oh sorry, you didnt post when I started editing ofcourse (2006 10:18 am)
No, I meant the previous post (The 'Are you a windows user yourself?' one), I posted a reply at 9.51, and you edited at 10.02 or something like that. But it doesn't really matter, just a heads up :).

EDIT2: Quote != edit, doublepost deleted.
Last edited by Vinterstum on Sun Jun 25, 2006 10:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
LOGAN

Post by LOGAN »

Yeah I read you the first time. Im a slow typer :)

Edit : Dang, lol, it's already gone :)